Better Gripper Vidoes

barbe705

So, I just got a camera. I was playing around with some gripper videos and I had an idea. I took a black crayon and colored in the stamping on the bottem of the gripper. then I used a paper towel to wipe off the excess. it makes the stamping show up much better on tape. Just an idea.

Brent

You must be one of those grip nerds, tinkering with the equipment to make it easier for you to perform feats. You shouldn't alter the gripper and then claim to close it. You need to be strong enough to hold it shut long enough for it to show up on camera, otherwise you're just ruining the true spirit of the challenge

You must be one of those grip nerds, tinkering with the equipment to make it easier for you to perform feats. You shouldn't alter the gripper and then claim to close it. You need to be strong enough to hold it shut long enough for it to show up on camera, otherwise you're just ruining the true spirit of the challenge

:upsidedwn:online

after gripmas I was trying to get the 5x10 lift. I just grabbed the closest dimes. then didn't fit together very well. Zach's advice was to be stronger. I did that and got the lift. but, I do think that making videos better quality without buying a new camera is a good thing.

I don't get it... this sounds like a good idea. Half the time you can hardly see the stamping on film, it's silver on silver.

Josh is just pulling his leg, thats all

Hes not on about trickort or cheating my fellow gripsters, hes on about using a black crayon and blackening the stamping ie the marking to tell how strong the gripper is. This is a smart idea. As on my videos I can barly see the fact that its a 250 300 or 350. thanks man quick simple awnser to the problem

In my opinion it's almost pointless to show the label on the gripper. I mean, if you're posting up a vid of an Elite close, then we're gonna have to take your word for it. Grippers can easily be tampered with so that they are much easier to close. Boiling them in hot water is one example, or oiling the spring.

Hes not on about trickort or cheating my fellow gripsters, hes on about using a black crayon and blackening the stamping ie the marking to tell how strong the gripper is. This is a smart idea. As on my videos I can barly see the fact that its a 250 300 or 350. thanks man quick simple awnser to the problem

They're just kidding.

In my opinion it's almost pointless to show the label on the gripper. I mean, if you're posting up a vid of an Elite close, then we're gonna have to take your word for it. Grippers can easily be tampered with so that they are much easier to close. Boiling them in hot water is one example, or oiling the spring.

Oiling the spring isn't tampering w/ a gripper. As long as you know what it calibrates after oiling and go by that, it'll actually make it more consistent.

Now, if you calibrate it before oiling it, then close it after oiling it and claim the same calibration, that's dishonest.

Some people will torch and foot-stomp the crap out of a spring, but you know who's trust-worthy and who's not. It'd be extremely easy for people to fake closes if they didn't at least show the stamp, regardless of tinkering.

Boiling a gripper would not do anything to affect the structure of the spring, all it would do is make it hot.

To have any annealing effect you would need an absolute minimum of 500°C, more normally around 700°C-900°C depending on carbon content, boiling water will bring the temp up to a max of 100°C! :rolleyes

..and as Frank says oiling a spring is no more than good maintenance of your equipment, so neither of your examples are going to help you close a gripper you shouldn't ordinarily close anyway. :laugh

Well the oiling part would work if you calibrated it without oil and then closed it WITH oil and claimed the higher calibration number as magnus stated. Also, you don't think making the spring hot would make it a tad softer? I always sort of thought that would help. Not that I care to, I'm in this for strength not for show. Now, I guess there would be clues if someone faked it. e.g. If last month they posted a video of a #2 close and suddenly they're going for the super elite.

Edited by Grippster