Slim Lever Questions

jad

Started training the Slim Lever for MGC and I had a couple general questions as this is my first real go at it:

Does your hand/knuckles go on the towel/roll, below it, or some of both?

What is the standard height of the towel roll?

Is there a limit as to how much tricep/body english you can use to get it started? On my best reps I didn't even feel it in my wrists. The reps that stalled out were the only ones that I felt in my wrists. The hardest part for me is exploding into it and then very quickly sinking back. I'm having trouble getting used to dropping back so quick.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Josh

Hey Josh-

I posted a picture of the setup I was gonna use. Probably is still in my gallery.

Use all the body english you can. Hands start on the towel, end up off of it. Chris is probably better at technique than I am, but I can post a video if you would like.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=8085

Hey Josh-

I posted a picture of the setup I was gonna use. Probably is still in my gallery.

Use all the body english you can. Hands start on the towel, end up off of it. Chris is probably better at technique than I am, but I can post a video if you would like.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=8085

Thanks Bob!

Is that towel roll 2.5-3" high? Would love to see a video when you have time to post it.

Josh

You push as hard as you can with the first 2 knuckles on the roll bottom 2 off. Put all your weight into it. The rest happens or dosen't. :D I am sure Chris can tell you better than me.

You push as hard as you can with the first 2 knuckles on the roll bottom 2 off. Put all your weight into it. The rest happens or dosen't. :D I am sure Chris can tell you better than me.

Exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thanks.

Josh

Josh - There seems to be two ways at least and probably a bunch of variations. Using a pad of roughly 2" ( it varies with the compression) - you put two fingers on and two off the pad - then push down with a sort of body weight on the two smaller fingers and up it comes - a sort of "pop". The other way, you don't lock your wrists straight and you don't use as much body weight pressure. You kind of allow your wrists to bend some and then lever it up as your wrists lock . Slims method seems to be a little of both in the videos but you will notice his forearms are closer to the floor before the hammers come up than is often the case with the "pop" method. I've been trying both and the second way is coming along and may end up being the stronger method over time - I'm not sure just yet but it is getting better.

A third way and a good training way is to not use a raised pad at all but just a soft surface and do it that way - it works the wrists pretty hard and hurts the little finger some but really helps when you start using the raised pad again.

My Numbers - flat surface - 14.5# for me - 16+ for my son Sean - I've come close on 16 a couple times - it should be soon.

Raised pad - "pop" method - 36.5# two handed - 16# one hand

Raised pad - "lever" method - 34# two handed - 16# one hand

The Gripmas two hand Slim lever medley event was 32# done two handed on a 2" or so pad this year form the floor to vertical and then to the head and down - I didn't keep track of who all did it but maybe half?

Edited by climber511

I think the limiting factor at Gripmas may have been that most people attempted it at the end of their medleys when they were already worn out. Hopefully doing them at the end of a levering specific event would result in better results.

I think the limiting factor at Gripmas may have been that most people attempted it at the end of their medleys when they were already worn out. Hopefully doing them at the end of a levering specific event would result in better results.

What - that little medley tired you out ? :inno

Josh - There seems to be two ways at least and probably a bunch of variations. Using a pad of roughly 2" ( it varies with the compression) - you put two fingers on and two off the pad - then push down with a sort of body weight on the two smaller fingers and up it comes - a sort of "pop". The other way, you don't lock your wrists straight and you don't use as much body weight pressure. You kind of allow your wrists to bend some and then lever it up as your wrists lock . Slims method seems to be a little of both in the videos but you will notice his forearms are closer to the floor before the hammers come up than is often the case with the "pop" method. I've been trying both and the second way is coming along and may end up being the stronger method over time - I'm not sure just yet but it is getting better.

A third way and a good training way is to not use a raised pad at all but just a soft surface and do it that way - it works the wrists pretty hard and hurts the little finger some but really helps when you start using the raised pad again.

My Numbers - flat surface - 14.5# for me - 16+ for my son Sean - I've come close on 16 a couple times - it should be soon.

Raised pad - "pop" method - 36.5# two handed - 16# one hand

Raised pad - "lever" method - 34# two handed - 16# one hand

The Gripmas two hand Slim lever medley event was 32# done two handed on a 2" or so pad this year form the floor to vertical and then to the head and down - I didn't keep track of who all did it but maybe half?

two handed? does that mean one hammer in each hand or two hands on one hammer? - I'm asumming two hammers?

Thanks Chris, I think I'll stick with the pop mehod for now since I'm training it for the MGC medley and I'm sure my wrists will be plenty trashed from the front levers. Any thoughts on being centered on the hammer vs. to the side?

Paul - yes - it was two hammers bolted together with weights added - it looks a lot like what Slim made up.

Josh - I stay pretty centered but others are off the the side it seems - probably individual differences account for it is all - I couldn't find any advantage in strength in my experiments - just comfort level.

I did not get the double 16 in the medley, but fresh I might have had a chance.

Josh, with your strength level, you should be shooting for the 20. You'll get the 16 easy assuming you are doing it right. I will help you however I can.

Jedd was very, very close to getting a 20 with one hand after the last MGC.

Also, I will get dimension and a video up this week sometime. As long as the dimensions are similar, I have no problem with someone using their own pad setup- as long as it is available to anyone else who would like to use it.