Training to lift the inch

Bill Piche

I've started training to lift my Inch dumbbell. I am starting with simple one arm dumbbell rows with my PDA inch type handle. I hope to build this poundage up a bit before trying to figure out how to tame the inch beast.

Any ideas out there for how to train for this?

Dumbbell rows is a good idea. I suggest doing what I did recently which was to start below my one rep max, and do one rep per day every day adding 1/2 lb each time. Do this with both arms. Control the weight both in  raising and lowering. If you reach a plateau stay at that weight for a while and maybe do a few more reps than just one, until you are ready to move up in weight again. Try for a full lift rather than just barely breaking it from the floor. Another idea is timed holds with a weight you have mastered.

Can you hold the Inch at the top position of the

one arm deadlift? If not, John Wood's idea using the

slanted bench seems ideal.

After you can hold the Inch at the top, slowly try to

lower it-you'll drop it, but negative training may be

very helpful.

John's idea was innovative and allows for reps-by

elevating or lowering the bench slant.

Of course, it's all theory with him being such a puny

fellow and all. :D

Wannagrip,

Curious how many days a week you plan to train on it.  I'm thinking of doing an "Oldguy" like routine, 1/2-pound increments around 4 times per week.  I plan only about 5 reps per day, warm-up would be 120-pounds, then 145-pounds then whatever my max is for 3 singles.

Can you hold the Inch at the top position of the

one arm deadlift? If not, John Wood's idea using the

slanted bench seems ideal.

After you can hold the Inch at the top, slowly try to

lower it-you'll drop it, but negative training may be

very helpful.

John's idea was innovative and allows for reps-by

elevating or lowering the bench slant.

Of course, it's all theory with him being such a puny

fellow and all. :D

I don't know yet. Probably not. Controlled drops are in order (more like out of control!) as soon as it is down my basement.

The slanted bench is an idea.

Keep us updated on how the training goes!!!  I can feel your pain!  I'm struggling to adapt to just plain old thin for a thick bar (2inch diameter) training  :D   Can't imagine one arming that kindof weight with a thicker handle!!!

Jon@han

I would ask first 'how do you want to lift it?' and then I can detial my training to lift it if you want.

I just want the sucker airborne.  :)  That is, lift it off the floor with one hand.

Zcor u are right. But here's the Readers Digest version with a few grippage ideas thrown in.

One: get yourself a handle either the same size or bigger (I used and still do a 2.5 inch diameter handle).

Two: I started with a lot less (can't recall) and planned on doing exactly the same in my training as I would be allowed at the OH dinner (ie: no warm-up). This you can change.

Three: based on 2 I would (if my current max was 150) use the handle and just squeeze it - esp with the thumb. Then load 100 pounds on. I'd do 4 x 1 reps aiming to lift it from the floor and place it on three telephone books.

Four: I'd load a sub max weight (ie close to the 172) and using a one hand grip place the other over the top (trying to keep what would have been the free hand's elbow braced on my knee) and as wanna descibes try to stop the damned thing falling.

Five: another tip was lifting it a fraction of an inch and holding on to it for as long as possible.

Six: I found that I had to go beyond the weight of the inch by 40+ pounds on my plate loaded bell in order to lift a solid bell (why has been discussed many times).

Seven: I prefer the 'tilt' (one end up first) as opposed to Oldguys 'straight and level' (both ends off thr floor together).

Eight: Work the thumb hard with squeezes. The fingers can dig in - indeed the whole hand doesn't just want to lift but needs to squeeze the handle as though you were trying to crush it - but the thumb does do the most work.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as possible.

BTW: I almost had the MDB last Thursday and with Joe's promo coming up - I may have to see if I can be first!

The Inch is 2 and 3/8ths of an Inch. The MDB is 60mm which is as close as possible. However the space between the globes is longer on the MDB than the Inch (makes it harder to balance). I have the full specs somewhere NB: there will be slight variation between bells due to the finish. The foundry does not grind them down for weight but just for finish.

Actual weight: 228 pounds / 103.42 kilos / 16 stone 4 pounds

Overall length: 24inches or 610mm approx

Width of dumbbell globe (end to handle): 9 and 6/16th inches

Diameter of globed ends: 9 1/2 inches

Circumference of globed ends: 29 7/8th of an inch or 759mm

Length of handle: 5 inches or 127mm

Diameter of handle: 2 3/8th of an inch or 60mm

Circumference of handle: 7 and 9/16th of an inch

Wanna,Give me a call and I will explain an idea of making something that will help your progress on your goal of lifting the bell.  RS

I'm doing the old guy technique.  Twice a day right now (morning and night) I pick up and hold 10 sec., then do a clean with each hand then repeat.  Also I do 1 set of cleans with it on Wed. & Sat.  for 5-8 reps each and I add 1/2 lb. every 3-5 days depending on how it feels.  I also am doing almost all my barbell exercises with a 2 3/8" bar.  I started with very sub-max weight on the DB and am hoping to work up slowly.  I'll never lift the Inch because of girlie sized hands, but I would get up to 125lbs off the floor with both hands.  

dyoder16

This is serious: Try wedging thick pieces of rough leather

on each side of your hand to stop the inclination of the

bell to rotate.

As you become stronger, remove a strip of leather.

I believe men with very wide hands have an advantage, not

a disadvantage as was thought years ago. So 'make' your

hand wider as a training technique.

I've been trying Tsatsouline's "greasing the grove" technique with some success.  I have 80% of the max I can deadlift loaded on my recently-made 2 3/8 dumbell.  Every time I enter or exit the living room, I deadlift it.  

I only started playing with thick bars several seeks ago and have increased the max I can pick up from the initial 125 to 150, but it's too early to tell yet if that's just nervous adaptation.