Plate pinching

Guest sjeff70

Guest sjeff70

I'm in the market for some 25 and 35 lb plates for pinching.  I've been to second hand, used sporting good stores but they want about 49 cents a pound.  

I was about to order some Ivanko plates due to their weight accuracy (and future investment), but before I did I checked the rim width.  The rim width of an Ivanko 25 and 35 lb plate are 1 3/4 inches wide, each.  A 3 1/4" pinch is quite a wide pinch indeed, more than I want to take on.

There are probably standards for plate pinching prowess...what brand of plates are we pinching to measure above average, competition, and world class pinching?  What kind of plates are you guys using and where are you getting them?

Jeff

Guest Mikael Siversson

The problem is, besides using different widths, that the surface differs between various brands. One cannot compare pinching results accurately without having tried the very same set up that is being used by the person one wants to make a comparison with. A standard would of course be good but it is clear that the grip community cannot come up with a compromise that pleases every one. In the end it is up to the organiser of competitions to decide.

Guest sjeff70

I noticed that.  I was at Dicks (a sporting good store here in the U.S.) last Tuesday shopping for winter coats and I had my buddy come over to the weight section to try and pinch some 25s.  This guy had no chance of course, but I thought I'd show him how easy it was.  I don't remember the brand of plates but they didn't come off the floor as easy as I'd thought!  The surface was very smooth.    

Jeff

Very true...The surface of the plates makes a much bigger differance than the width.  Look at IM's pinching products - the powder coated surface makes them very difficult to lift.

You may want to consider the hub style of the plate as well.  Hub pinching is fun, but if you buy plates with lame hubs you won't be able to practice.

-HH

I have cast iron international plate weights.

2 25's  2 5/8"

2 35's  2 7/8"

2 10's  1 13/16

3 10's  2 3/4

3 5's    2 1/4

4 5's    3"