Kerckhaert Ssp#3, 10" Timber-spike Break, R.i.p.

Brad Manion

Well, I decided to make this evening my last strength-training session of 2008. Warmed up with a 60d spike break and a 60d "S" scroll. Bent a SCF-Polo#2 and SCF-Lite#3 before attempting the KH-SSP3. The SSP3 wasn't that bad. I'd rate it somewhere between a SCF-Lite#3 and an SCF-Xtra#3 in terms of toughness. I got it to 135 degrees of damage in only 21 seconds, and called it a day at that point, trying to save some strength for my first attempt at the KH-Draft#4 (3/8" thick). So, I wrap up the KH-Draft4, get set, fire into it, and ... drumroll .... nothing. No damage at all :angry::angry::angry: . This shoe laughed in my face, and quite loudly at that. The amount of core and tricep strength it must take to move one of these is frightening, and thus, I have an incredible and newfound respect for this shoe :bow . It's day will come, just not today.

As for the 10" x 3/8" spike break...it is a very tough feat of both strength and endurance, and makes an excellent trainer for horseshoes. I certainly do not want to try anything tougher (or equally tough, now that I think about it) for awhile, though I would be honored to witness somebody being insane enough to try an 8" x 3/8" GripRite bright common timber spike. Though possible (over the course of a few hours maybe), I estimate it would take several pairs of point-wraps ready to go, as well as an assistant to wrap the heads. My wraps came loose quickly and frequently on the 10" spike break, and that wasn't helped by one of them getting soaked through with sweat during the process.

I apologize for not linking the pictures right here, but for those interested, they are the newest pictures in my two galleries.

Big thanks to all my friends on the gripboard whom I've e-mailed too many times to count, getting opinions on technique and relative strength whenever trying something a little tougher than I've ever done before.

At the end of 2008, reviewing where I've come with a few favorite feats, I'm really understanding what Gazza has emphasized so frequently, "No Limits".

I hope everybody out there has a very safe and Happy New Year, as well as a very successful 2009.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! I told you you wouldn't have any problem with the SSP the way you were going after those Plain Regs ;) However, you only did the easy part of the SSP!!! The wider stock it's made from makes for a nastier crush relative to it's size and thickness!!! FINISH IT! FINISH IT!! FINISH IT!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! I told you you wouldn't have any problem with the SSP the way you were going after those Plain Regs ;) However, you only did the easy part of the SSP!!! The wider stock it's made from makes for a nastier crush relative to it's size and thickness!!! FINISH IT! FINISH IT!! FINISH IT!!!

Thanks guys. Zach, next time I will finish one. I have 15 more from the bunch I bought earlier in the week, along with 20 of the Plain Reg #3's.

Nice work on the SSP. I have yet to bend mine. The short rounded legs don't like me! :D