Who was the strongest part2

Tom of Iowa2

Is the  poll meant to be who was the strongest in ANCIENT history ONLY?If so? I guess i understand the omission of several athletes. BUT when discussing who WAS the strongest all around EVER we could still include some relatively modern strongmen/lifters/athletes ?

Many of the men I will list not only did well in the unusual strength feats of strongman competition but were good 'lifters'(power or olympic )ALSO.

What about?

Bill Kazmaier

O.D.Wilson

Don Reinhoudt

Gary Taylor

Jon Pal Sigmarson

Bruce Wilhelm

Jaimie Reeves

Jon Pal Sigmarson

Magnus Ver Magnusson

or even active WSM competitors/winners

Juoko Ahola

Svend Karlson

Again with these modern pro strongmen being proficient at moving unweildly objects as well as being lifters (or at worst haveing great gym strength)some do a lot of grip work also- but perhaps don't discuss it that much...this(in my mind) makes them at least comparable to their old time counterparts.( ACTUALLY and apparently not a popular view BUT probably-realistically?-stronger all around!)

Most of the top 10 strongmen in the world have grip enough to farmers walk with 375 a side(some could/have done over 400) and the hercules hold is a good hand test.Many can close a #3 gripper and some have barbending abilities and even other skills...............

Polls only allow for up to 10 choices. Some of the names that you mentioned probably had a little extra help. The names in the poll are pretty much accepted as not having had a little extra help.

I see.That makes more sense.

However I will say that various forms of testosterone have been around since the thirtys and that the ever popular dianabol around since 1956.

I've posted this before but It is POSSIBLE(not an accusation)that SOME strong and powerful athletes(not?anyof these men listed?) of the past MAY have perhaps/possibly experimented with chemicals that were NOT illegal at the time and NOT thought to be harmful and were NOT much of a controversial issue?In fact old PDR's of the era did NOT list side effects but did go on to write a discalimer:these drugs will not improve athletic performanc(or words to that effect)

When I was in California for a year or so- i talked to an old timer working tha desk at Worlds in Venice and he said D-bol was taken like candy back in the old days(I DON'T beleive everything I hear)and tetosterone(oral an injectable )has been around for decades.He told me"i new when to back off when it was hard to take a piss"he said some guys "waited til they pissed a little blood"."he said some of us had prostates the size of an apple"..exagerations I'm sure,but....?

Again not referring to any of the legends you mentioned but i think the good 'ol days weren't as pure as some people like to believe.

I agree with you Tom. It is a known fact that the first people to experiment with anything legal or otherwise, that may enhance strength or muscle size are bodybuilders and strength athletes.

Especially if someone was willing to deceive others in one area(i.e. claiming higher poundages than lifted or other tricks)why wouldn't someone  NOT be deceptive of their drug useage?

Today: fear of well documented side effects keeps some off the 'juice'.

Others do not use because it IS a federal crime and/or it is against the rules of the sporting activity they are involved with(IOC/NFL/ADFPA/etc.,etc

Others(probably less)stay away because they view it as cheating.

In the good 'ol days less was known of side effects and the

federal law came into effect in '91 and drugs weren't always banned in some sports...sooooo....less reason NOT to use.And some  guys were deceptive about their lifting to. ;)or made less than believable claims?

I'd say everyone on that list has had a lot of "help" and i do not think it is fair to compare people on "help" to people without it.

I thought Dr John Zeigler started experimenting with Dianabol giving it to Bill March from York barbell club.Hoffman then coincided March's miraculous strength increases with his isometric methods of training.Resulting in thousands of his machines being sold.I believe the time frame was late 1950's to early 1960's,after that it escalated like wild fire.

Then the rot set in.The Golden Age was over.Health and pure strength went out of the window.

Here endth the lesson . Amen.