...and The 60d Goes Down

Rocketman248

I guess it's time to order some Yellow and Blue nails.

On the advise of a few board members, I picked up some bigger stock today. When I first picked up the 60d, I thought there was no way I was gonna bend this thing. Then I said "Screw that, this thing's going down." I did one with double wraps, piece of cake. The second and third I used single wraps. No problem here. Needless to say, I was pretty stoked. I can't wait to bend some bigger stock.

My original goal was to bend the Yellow by June. Now I'm going for either the Blue or Red. :rock

Pics:

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/122937577...1029_123800.jpg

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/122937577...1029_155161.jpg

Congrats on your bend! That nail could be similar to a Blue in difficulty. I think you'd be better off buying a beginner's bag from FBBC rather than some nails from Ironmind. You'll get variety and much more bend for your buck. ;)

I think you'd be better off buying a beginner's bag from FBBC rather than some nails from Ironmind. You'll get variety and much more bend for your buck. ;)

Agreed!

And very nice job bending the 60d...if they're the griprite ones, I can't tell any difference between that and the 300 lb. rated FBBC 6x1/4" round (never tried a blue nail, but should be about the same)

I think you'd be better off buying a beginner's bag from FBBC rather than some nails from Ironmind. You'll get variety and much more bend for your buck. ;)

Agreed!

And very nice job bending the 60d...if they're the griprite ones, I can't tell any difference between that and the 300 lb. rated FBBC 6x1/4" round (never tried a blue nail, but should be about the same)

Matt

I think a blue nail is harder then a gripbrite 60D. A REAL 60D common is way harder then blue. The ones i have are a hair thicker then 1/4, very dense, heavy shank with a stubby point-they look like a real and they feel like a real nail. I buy them in bulk at ACO, they just fill up tubs of nails. They kink at a severe angle, tough little guys.

Matt

I think a blue nail is harder then a gripbrite 60D. A REAL 60D common is way harder then blue. The ones i have are a hair thicker then 1/4, very dense, heavy shank with a stubby point-they look like a real and they feel like a real nail. I buy them in bulk at ACO, they just fill up tubs of nails. They kink at a severe angle, tough little guys.

As I said, I've never bent a blue, but I have bent a LOT of Griprite galvanized 60d's, and cannot tell the difference between that and the FBBC stock...with the exception of a few murderously hard nails that were mixed in the box at Home Depot. I have no idea what brand they were, but they were at least as hard as a G5.

I guess it's time to order some Yellow and Blue nails.

On the advise of a few board members, I picked up some bigger stock today. When I first picked up the 60d, I thought there was no way I was gonna bend this thing. Then I said "Screw that, this thing's going down." I did one with double wraps, piece of cake. The second and third I used single wraps. No problem here. Needless to say, I was pretty stoked. I can't wait to bend some bigger stock.

My original goal was to bend the Yellow by June. Now I'm going for either the Blue or Red. :rock

Pics:

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/122937577...1029_123800.jpg

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/122937577...1029_155161.jpg

The Grip rite 60D is pretty similar to the IM blue in my opinion (both 1/4" CRS), and a lot cheaper. I pay 6 cents per 60D. I wouldn't waste much money on IM blue nails as you can always cut down the 60s. If you have a steel shop near get some 1/4" stainless hex or square, that was a nice bridge to the IM red for me. I also found some 3/8" hot rolled square in a scrap bin that is just easier than a red IMO.

Happy bending :rock

Agreed!

Matt

Adam,

While I do agree with Matt on the Griprite galv. 60's,(the current ones; the older ones were easier) I also have bent 60's similar to what you describe. I think they were Keystone brand. Very stubby, SHARP point, and bent like a "V". Fun little suckers.

Matt,

I think the mutant 60's you encountered were Sivaco's. I found a box behind the Griprites at Lowes, and it said "Sivaco Made in Canada" on the box. Almost 5/16'' thick, thick head, and cal about 350ish #. Right about G5 territory. Tough bend for a 60. Lots of freaks; about 1 in 15. Go from G5 to huge bastard. Surprise!!!

Edited by Foxman

Nice bend Rocketman. :rock Now go get some steel that will give you a challenge!!! (FBBC advanced bag):blink You made that nail look like butter my friend. You need to be trying cut down G5's and G8's at least. Those 60's can come in handy though; try to bend em' double underhanded and reverse, Slim, Heslep, and vertical styles as well. You will build much needed all around wrist and hand strength needed for the big bends on the not-too-distant horizon. Congrats!! :cool

Edited by Foxman

Thanks for the replies gents. However, upon further investigation, I have some serious doubts that these nails are actually made of steel. The packaging is all Japanese kanji, of which I read absolutely nothing. So I looked it up online, and it seems these nails are made of iron. Either they really are made of iron, or it's kind of a lost in translation thing. Either way, they seem much easier than they are supposed to be.

My buddy has some yellow nails, so on Monday, I'm going to try one of those. We'll see what happens. I'll get it on video. If I try to bend it, and I pop a vessel and pass out, then the video will never see the light of day. :blush If I do indeed bend it, then I'll let you guys know. :rock

In the meantime, I'll continue to bend my plastic nails. :D

You will nail the yellow. Did you order your 60D's on the net? Can you link them? A friend of mine is steady in Japanese, he could probably translate it with more accuracy :)

Matt,

I think the mutant 60's you encountered were Sivaco's. I found a box behind the Griprites at Lowes, and it said "Sivaco Made in Canada" on the box. Almost 5/16'' thick, thick head, and cal about 350ish #. Right about G5 territory. Tough bend for a 60. Lots of freaks; about 1 in 15. Go from G5 to huge bastard. Surprise!!!

Heh. I don't know, I don't think these were that thick. I got some around the time I was just able to easily bend a regular 60d DU...I'd knock out a couple then...owww!!! There's one I can barely kink. Not fair :angry:

This nail is 1/6(4.6mm)inch.

Blue nail 1/4(6.35mm).

There is a nail of 180mm in the hardware shop in Japan.

180mm nail is 5.6mm.

1kg is about 300 yen.

I guess it pays to look at what I'm taking a picture of.

Here's the correct package. Although I just noticed that it is still not quite 1/4 inch.

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/122937577..._1029_47011.jpg

Now I've gotta go back to the hardware store.

What part of Japan are you from?

Edited by Rocketman248