Judging The Rear Lever

Bob Lipinski

I think I can do it.

3 rules:

1. Minimal arm bend- ie no extending the arm to start the lift and get momentum.

2. Arm cannot go in front of the body, must stay at sides or to the rear.

3. If it looks like you are cheating a lever in some way I haven't thought of, I won't allow it.

If you have any questions before the contest, let me know. I would be more than happy to judge any video attempts.

The rear hammer will be complete when the hammer head rests down on a platform. There will be two heights, near full deadlift and a few inches off the ground- The same low platform as last time.

I would say there are two "correct" ways to rear lever- You can deadlift it, hold it level, and put it on the platform, or you can lever it up from a standing position.

Here is my example of #2-

Much more sloppy than this and it won't count.

Bob can you clarify 1; specifically what you mean my extending the arm? I take that as straightening it which would seem to be in conflict with what you want (minimal arm bend)? Thanks

Also:

You mentioned holding it at level in the deadlift style; do you have to hold it at level before setting it down? Popping it up and landing it on a platform is a ton easier than holding it at level. I just want to train it specific to the event.

Can you lean way over like the weaver?

Will "arm" be defined as the wrist up? Your hand was in front of your thigh on your vid is why I'm asking.

Will we be allowed to wear a brace like the weaver? I can see both sides of this but I just want to know how to train it.

Rule 3 sets a bad precedent for our sport. If somebody is doing something asinine like kicking it up with their foot, fine, agree 100% but I think you're going to catch a lot of flak if you call somebody on something gray given your known ability with the hammers, the fact that it's your contest, and you're competing.

Edited by jad

Allright Josh-

Bob can you clarify 1; specifically what you mean my extending the arm? I take that as straightening it which would seem to be in conflict with what you want (minimal arm bend)? Thanks I meant extending the arm from a flexed position. Kind of confusing you are right. The arm should be at extension.

Also:

You mentioned holding it at level in the deadlift style; do you have to hold it at level before setting it down? Popping it up and landing it on a platform is a ton easier than holding it at level. I just want to train it specific to the event. Just pop it up on the platform.

Can you lean way over like the weaver? Yes.

Will "arm" be defined as the wrist up? Your hand was in front of your thigh on your vid is why I'm asking. I meant hand too, you are right my video was so-so. I will err on the side of the lifter. My attempt there could have easily been disqualified.

Will we be allowed to wear a brace like the weaver? I can see both sides of this but I just want to know how to train it. No wraps.

Rule 3 sets a bad precedent for our sport. If somebody is doing something asinine like kicking it up with their foot, fine, agree 100% but I think you're going to catch a lot of flak if you call somebody on something gray given your known ability with the hammers, the fact that it's your contest, and you're competing. Hahahahah, this is my attempt at what I call the "Kleiner Clause". I would only call this out on blatant examples of cheating not spelled out in black and white, like kicking it with your foot. I won't call anybody out on a "gray area".

And, I suck ass at hammers to the front.