Best Grip Excercises For Improving Dl

rock27

Hi everyone, this is my first post up here. The reason I found this forum was because I want to improve DL strength.

The one thing holding me back in Dl weight is grip strength.

My routine at present for improveing my grip is as follows:

Towel rack pulls, farmer's walk with DBs, and holding a loaded BB for as long as possible.

I recently ordered my first COC gripper(#1), with the hope of using it to increase my grip.

My question is:what would be recommended to add to the current program and also the best way to utilise the COC to do so in order to achieve my goals.(which is to increase my DL)

Rolling thunder training and pinch gripping would probably help your grip for deadlifting. Rolling Thunder is just a one handed deadlift on a thick revolving handle, if you can manage good weight on a RT, then standard DL grip shouldn't be a problem for you.

Edited by thewalrus

Short rom rack pulls. Put a bar up high in a rack and pull it using DO and then over/under. You should be able to get your over/under to be much stronger than your best dl like this in only a few weeks and then you'll be good to go. Grippers thickbar and stuff will be fun for later but if your main concern is DL then this is the fastest way IMO.

I've heard that doing deficit DL's increases the time your hands are under tension, improving the grip.  Farmer's holds would be good too.-Rex

Hi everyone, this is my first post up here. The reason I found this forum was because I want to improve DL strength.

The one thing holding me back in Dl weight is grip strength.

My routine at present for improveing my grip is as follows:

Towel rack pulls, farmer's walk with DBs, and holding a loaded BB for as long as possible.

I recently ordered my first COC gripper(#1), with the hope of using it to increase my grip.

My question is:what would be recommended to add to the current program and also the best way to utilise the COC to do so in order to achieve my goals.(which is to increase my DL)

The best movement I have done for this is high rep dumbell rows with a 1 3/8" handle - Ironmind's big boy dumbell handle works good. Work to 20 reps then increase the weight and start over. You should be able to get to the point where your last couple reps are all the way down in your finger tips and you can still hang on.

Ok cheers lads for all the replies. I think I'll try make one of those RT contraptions.

Gonna look for stuff around the house and a buddy's farm to use.

Also, natural what do you mean by deficit DLs?

Deficit Deads = standing on blocks (with the barbell on the floor as normal) to increase the range of motion.

Ok cool I know what ur on about, wasn't sure bout the name.

Short rom rack pulls. Put a bar up high in a rack and pull it using DO and then over/under. You should be able to get your over/under to be much stronger than your best dl like this in only a few weeks and then you'll be good to go. Grippers thickbar and stuff will be fun for later but if your main concern is DL then this is the fastest way IMO.

I'd agree with that. I did something similar, I used to shrug in the rack. As soon as I stopped using staps and began using the alternate grip (as normal for DL) my grip improved week by week. Once I shrugged 310kg I new my grip wouldn't give out on the DL (best I got was 255kg in comp.)