Single Best Forearm Builder?

lloyd80s

I'm looking at starting a new wrist/forearm building routein in the new year. In the past the only things I've done to build forearms are wrist curls and....grippers. I've used a wrist roller in the past but seen not any real gains from it.

I have grippers, a wrist roller and dumbells to use and was wondering what you guys would surgest to add real lower arm thickness? I was looking at David Hornes Orbigrip but I'm not sureif it's the tool to really add inchs to the lower arm.

Do you guys think I have the equipment to add size or do I need more tools? What's worked for you guys that have added real lower arm mass?

Thanks

Barbells are really good if you have access to them. I'll do barbell wrist curls for mass and strength (if wrists start to hurt switch to dumbell), followed by behind the back wrist curls (gives you a really good pump), then EZ curl reverse wrist curls for the outer forearms. Finally, I'll kill myself with my thick-handeled wrist roller (roll both ways). Three sets each should do ya. That's an average forearm workout. Sometimes I'll mix it up and just do giant sets (round-robin). Good luck. :D

Oh, and eat right if you want to grow. ;)

it might be a stupid question but does training for forearm size help with a strong grip ?

Yes it does, in the training itself you'll be gripping be it wrist curls, wrist roller or anything else so the grip will get stronger as a side effect of forearm training. I'm not sure but I also feel that lager forarms give more strength to the grip anyway. Whenever my forearms gain I feel my arms and grip are altogether stronger.

Hi Gerry,

That peg looks like an interesting piece of equipment, I've not seen it before. How does it work? Do you have a video of it anywhere showing it in motion?

Also have you used one to good effect in building your own forearms?

I can't work out the cost of it form that site either. Do you know the standard cost of the unit?

Cheers

it might be a stupid question but does training for forearm size help with a strong grip ?

Yes it does, in the training itself you'll be gripping be it wrist curls, wrist roller or anything else so the grip will get stronger as a side effect of forearm training. I'm not sure but I also feel that lager forarms give more strength to the grip anyway. Whenever my forearms gain I feel my arms and grip are altogether stronger.

thanks

Considering how many muscles are in the lower arm just "one" exercise won't get the job done.

In terms of developing size my 2 favourites are:

- Seated DB Hammer Curls (one arm at a time)

- Behind-the-Back Wrist Curls - http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/i.../GripTip13.html

Dave

Yes those are great BTB wrist curls-done as he says in the text -letting the bar go down all the way to the finger tips and roll it into the palm and then do the curl and over again.

sledge hammer levering side to side and to the nose, does that count as 2? I allows for the weight to be changed simply by moving your hand or removing fingers from the grip. Best way to build strong wrists (key for bending n such) and strong forearms.

• 15 years later...

I would say the side winder pro because it works both directions of the wrist at the same time with a force that we can gauge in our own way

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steeve tremblay said:

I would say the side winder pro because it works both directions of the wrist at the same time with a force that we can gauge in our own way

I really like my sidewinder. Never used it for strength/mass but I can see it adding some size and perhaps it has for me. I warm up and cool down with it and use it for rehab.

• Like 1

Old thread, but my "survival knife" of lower arm exercises would be the uneven, thick grip Zottman curl.

It's not something I use, but if for some reason I were forced to limit my forearm training to a fifteen minute session once per week, and I wanted to stand a decent chance at developing mass, strength and a fairly rounded "real life function," this is probably what I'd choose.

The unevenness stimulates the supinating and pronating muscles of the forearm, the fat grip brings in both the thumb and fingers, and the curl both ways is working working elbow flexion, wrist flexion and wrist extension. It doesn't work any of these areas optimally, but you do get bang-for-buck in terms of muscle groups worked versus time spent. You can also scale it by adding weight, or change the stimulus by simply turning the weight around.