Straphold question

whitleyd

#2 with a little weight.  Try to add time, or weight every workout.....

I prefer to use the #2. In my view the purpose of the strap hold is to force you to squeeze as hard as possible for a set amount of time. Lifting weight by a strap just is a means to ensure that you are using as much force as you are capable of. The trouble with using a easier gripper is that you may have to use a weight that is harder to hold in front of you. It starts to become a harder lateral raise, when that is not the desired affect. By using the harder gripper, you can use less weight.

I agree with using the harder gripper.

But to throw my two cents in about strapholds I wanted to share my find of the perfect strap (for my taste). It seems what you want is the thinnest strap you can find so that you are not adding a lot of width in that isometric closed position. I had experimented with shoelaces and pieces of old car seatbelts and other nylon webbing. But I found something I like even better.

I went to Office Depot and picked up a six inch flexible stainless steel ruler. It is obviously very strong and very thin... less than one half of a millimeter. It came wih rubber and cork backing on it which peeled off easily and it already has a hole stamped in one end so you can easily tie a cord to it. I can't use as much weight as I can with the nylon strap but the closed position is a little tighter.

Just thought that might be of interest to some of you who like strapholds.

Elias

• 2 weeks later...