How Often?

Cannon

Pete's questionnaire had people reporting how many hours a week they spend training grip. But I started wondering about some of the strongest people we're hearing about recently.... The crowd at Sorinex... The crowd in the Texas garages... There seem to be a lot of drop-ins and impromptu workouts that are informal but quite challenging.

How often do you guys end up doing something grip related whether you planned it or not? Every day?

I usually try and avoid anything grip related on my off days so I don't "ruin" my next scheduled workout. But I'm guessing most of the "strong" people around here would say they end up doing something grip related almost every day. Even if it's just messing around. Yes?

well, i don't know if count as a "strong" person but i do it almost every day, levering, pinching, wrist roller, grippers, dynamic pinch, wrist curls, finger curls all these things i do on a regular basis every week, and i do at least "some" of them every day just messing around. when i get my shoulder strength up i'll be adding bending into that also.

I was actually surprised how long a lot of people said they train. Most of the grip work I do is in the gym as part of my regular workouts, and I would say it comes to less than an hour total.

I supposed I do fiddle about a bit outside that though, extensor bands on my desk, powerball, seeing how many times I can fold a piece of paper and still rip it ....

One common theme among all the people mentioned is their huge overall strength. These guys are just plain strong all over - big squats, dead lifts, bench press, etc - and big grips. You simply are not going to find huge grips on weak people. Dead lifting 6 or 700 pounds is one heck of a grip workout (well, I imagine it is anyway - I can't do it) - and doing chinups at 300# of bodyweight is too. Direct grip work is the icing on the cake - not the cake itself. Regardless of the size man - if you find a big grip - I'll bet money he's pretty darn strong overall.

How often do they train grip - many of these guys have done little direct grip training at all in reality - just tons of heavy lifting. Then they walk into a place like Sorinex and pick up things that we grip nuts find pretty impressive. I remember Richard saying how Tex was found - this giant of a man just kind of walked in and blew them all away - didn't have a clue how to set or even hold a gripper but just mashed everything they gave him. Sure he has gotten even better since he started doing direct grip training but that's the icing - not the cake.

The muscles responsible for grip are just like any other muscles - they grow when given hard work then a chance to recover and over compensate. Work them too often compared to your recovery ability and you hurt your strength, not help it.

One common theme among all the people mentioned is their huge overall strength. These guys are just plain strong all over - big squats, dead lifts, bench press, etc - and big grips. You simply are not going to find huge grips on weak people. Dead lifting 6 or 700 pounds is one heck of a grip workout (well, I imagine it is anyway - I can't do it) - and doing chinups at 300# of bodyweight is too. Direct grip work is the icing on the cake - not the cake itself. Regardless of the size man - if you find a big grip - I'll bet money he's pretty darn strong overall.

How often do they train grip - many of these guys have done little direct grip training at all in reality - just tons of heavy lifting. Then they walk into a place like Sorinex and pick up things that we grip nuts find pretty impressive. I remember Richard saying how Tex was found - this giant of a man just kind of walked in and blew them all away - didn't have a clue how to set or even hold a gripper but just mashed everything they gave him. Sure he has gotten even better since he started doing direct grip training but that's the icing - not the cake.

The muscles responsible for grip are just like any other muscles - they grow when given hard work then a chance to recover and over compensate. Work them too often compared to your recovery ability and you hurt your strength, not help it.

100% correct.

Dang Chris, you are good at writting. This just about sums it up.