Grip Training @ Playing Guitar

Hanzky

Hi fellows!

Does anyone of you serious grip trainers play guitar or other similar instrument? A friend of mine is also training with Coc-grippers (barely closing the 2,5 now) and he's a bit worried that the grip training might slow down his fretting hand (left). He's been taking the training a bit easier on the left hand.

So if there are any guitar players in grip training, please let me know of your experiences, and if there has been any "side effects". Thanks!

Hi fellows!

Does anyone of you serious grip trainers play guitar or other similar instrument? A friend of mine is also training with Coc-grippers (barely closing the 2,5 now) and he's a bit worried that the grip training might slow down his fretting hand (left). He's been taking the training a bit easier on the left hand.

So if there are any guitar players in grip training, please let me know of your experiences, and if there has been any "side effects". Thanks!

I dont play the guitar, but I am a guitar HERO freak!!! If anything I have noticed better cordination in my left hand, and actually gotten better with my frets on the game, not sure on the real thing though, but I would doubt it would affect it. Get some of those dexterity balls and work with them, that should help alot!!

Hi fellows!

hi friend,

yes i try to become a blues-guitar-player, but i am not a talent. i think, if you want to become a "shredder", a really strong gripperhand is not an advantage. if you play the blues/rock, no problem, if you do your grip-exercises.

did you know, some pro-pianoplayers have very strong hands?

My recent experiance with that Guitar Hero game made me relize that it is good for coordination and dexterity. Good active recovery work for him.

Is your friend into shredding? I've played guitar for seven years and found that grip training did not slow my fretting hand down at all. In fact, it's probably the opposite. Training grip has worked wonders for my endurance - I mean I could play all day if I had the time without getting fatigued. I would say just not to try and play after a tough gripping session.

I play violin and piano (okay at violin, don't play so much anymore, much better at piano :D). It's had pretty much no noticeable affect on piano, but I actually feel better fingering the violin, especially in the higher positions. So, if anything, it definitely doesn't hurt.

did you know, some pro-pianoplayers have very strong hands?

:laugh

The only thing Ive found is that after heavy wrist work my picking hand slows down quite a bit, for days after as well. As far as the fretting hand goes it doesn't seem to be affected, If anything it seems to help a bit.

Hi fellows!

It really does seem to make a bit of difference to me. I play Guitar in all major genres. I have for about 6 years. Some things have improved others have went downhill. I.E.:

Blues: Improved. Bending has jumped. Vibrato is much better.

Country: Same thing. My Chicken Pickin' is a lot better now.

Metal: Downhill but not by much. I've noticed my sweep picking is a little bit slower. I've also noticed that I don't have to try to put as much pressure on the strings though. That has helped me with stamina during extended Arpeggios and Sweeping solo's.

Acoustic: My chords are much stronger now. I've always had a bit of trouble with F, but now I have a lot more strength for the fine points.

Off topic...but...Drumming: MUCH better. My finger control peaked after closing the #2.5. I've noticed one small bad thing, I pinch too hard sometimes. That is a pretty big deal, but if I listen to my forearm and correct myself it is a quick fix. My wrist being stronger has helped a lot with accents. I can fly on my single, double, and triple strokes. My arm doesn't really feel a long rudiment session either.

Overall...Gripping can be a blessing or a curse. If you're a fast metal shredder it can help in some aspects and be bad in others. Tell him not to put too much thought into it. Train and play. If he pays a lot of attention to himself he will be the best judge. It is overall something I would recommend to any musician. :)

Yeah I play and think overall it has helped, especially the last two fingers on my fretting hand are a lot stronger from all the gripper work (so tell your friend not to skimp on his left hand!).

I think my endurance may have gone down, maybe having more muscle in the forearms causes them to pump out sooner, or it could just be because I don't practice as much as I used to. I'm sure training could be tailored to address this anyway.

I do not play guitar, but I have noticed that if I am not doing any fine motor work with my hands, the strength training makes my fingers a bit clumsy.

I used to play bass and training grip had some serious negative effects for me.

As in, my grip hobby COMPLETELY replaced my music hobby and I have not touched my bass in close to 2 years!!!! :tongue

I drum and play guitar in my band (very fast extreme metal) www.myspace.com/domainofmithras

All the grip training and weights I've done over the years have helped a ton, and as someone else said, I find it's helped my fretting speed on the left a lot, having stronger fingers won't ever hurt. One SLIGHT downside is that I've had to increase my string gauge as the strings eventually felt like they weren't there!