What do you think?

ruffhans

I was looking trough all the old posts yesterday, ( finaly figured out how) and found myself reading all the #4 griper posts, aswell as the bb worldclass posts. i also noticed that they are the least talked about grippers. the #2 and #3 seem to be the most liked grippers for everyone. after getting some advice from a COC on how i should not even get a bb world class or a #4 as they are, unquote, " not realstic", and after seeing how they are the least talked about, and also seeing how people talk about them, i noticed that alot of people have NO  plan on ever closing theese grippers. they seem to be talked about only when names like Kinney, Heath, and a few others are brought up. they are very rarely taked about as training goels, but instead talked about as feats of streangh instead. ive come to notice that going beyond a #3 for almost everyone is not a goal, and is almost looked upon as unrealistic in most cases, only to be left for those giants of grip. not only do most not have the intentoins of closing one of theese, but they are quite happy never to do so!  

Well i was thinking, why is it we dont look anyfurther? why do we stop at the #3? do we honestly think or know we could never close a #4? are we satisfied with staying in the#3 zone? mayee we just realize that it would require to much pain, focus, and perhaps a loss of time in our lives. after all you dont close a #3 without 100% comintment!!! ( only got mine to 1/4 inch)  ;)  are we just being reasonable, or do we lack that reach down inside give it all you got mindset,..the kind that we never have tapped into before?

I was thinking of  theese things as they apply to Me, ( i incourage you to do the same). i was thinking why do i go no further? could i have closed the #3 by now if i dug down deeper inside myself? could i some day close a #4?!!

will i be willing to sacrifice alot of things to do theese things? is my mind already programmed to think that i cant?, or do i see the #4 as something to be closed soeday? perhaps im doing fine, and all it takes is a litle time?

Well, theese are just some (?)s i asked myself. im not looking for your addvice, im just shareing my thoughts! :)

I have often thought the same thing. Only recently have I started to give what I think is getting near to "extreme" focus to my goals, goals which I have recently increased from "excellent" to "world class". Whether I am able to meet these new goals is one thing - but I do not think I would like it if I didn't try.

I don't think people believe that they could never close it, I just think many people feel it is so far away a goal for now, that it is better to focus on their short term goal i.e. closing that #3.  Keep one other fact in mind, only a little more than 100 people in the world (many of whom are on this board)even own a #4, assuming most of the people who bought one only own one.  Joe Roark talked to strossen and asked how many #4's were out there, and he said in the area of 100--if you were curious about that information.  As far as the amount of people who own a #2 or #3, that number is likely close to 10,000 or higher.  Point being, you are much more likely to talk about something you have a grasp on.  Most people who train with the grippers can only imagine what a #4 feels like, let alone discuss it in an open forum such as this one.

Good point riot. it is also one of the things i considered when thinking about the #4 and those who do own one. im not suprised about only 100 being out there though. i suppose that for the average person wanting a little extra grip, anythibg below the #4 would be a wise purchase. however for us who own one, and are into grip training for more than just a little extra grip strength,......those are who i was asking the (?) to. :D

I am definately going for the #4. And I am positive that I will eventually get it. I am only 21 and have my whole life ahead of me to train grip. I know it will be hard and will take some time but that is what I like.

All good solid valid points but I also saw a thought/question relating to the mental aspect. Those that have shut the three will know and those with the four ahead will know even more.

You start by 1) letting 'normal' people have a go. Most fail miserably 2) you work at the gripper you want - No 1 or 2 say and having done the work, as anyone can - even our 'norms' you succeed.

Then you get the No 3 in sight and begin to obssess. You come here and talk of sweep, degress of handle, thickness of spring and so on.

Slowly but surely, sometimes taking months, you get the #### handles together.

Having achieved that a Four seems so far away and almost not worth the effort.

That's when the mental aspect really kicks in. Do you realy want it - to be a master of grip - the daddy of the gripsters. When the knurling bites deep and the skin looks raw and beaten up. When the blasted gripper - all so-called 365 inch pounds of closing pressure - doesn't seem to want to budge - Do You Still Want It? Well do you?

Roll up! Roll up! The Grip Freak is in town and is ready to get down and dirty!! Oh Yeah!!

You sir, the one with the beautiful wife - you lucky guy - care to try your hand on the Baraban Roberts Grip Dynometer - best effort could win a £100.00?

I am not going to make a special effort to close the #4. I do use it in my training as an aid to gaining strength for the #3. I am  somewhat afraid to subject my hands to the training required to close the 4. I do believe that it will be closed some time next year by a member of this board. There are several peole close, and probably some who are keeping quiet, hoping to surprise us with the big news.

Well i agre with your other post mobsterone. only those of us who are close on the #3, shut it, or are on the #4 know about the mental part. im alwasy thinking, is it that we just think the #4 is to hard, or do we lack that mental aspect? this is for those who think the #4 is NOT worth it due to its great preasure. not for those already looking to close it. what is keeping us from doing it? remember teese are just (?)s we can think about in our own lives, not a topic to be argude over. i would love to sit down with Kinney, Heath, ( and anyone else within 1/2 inch of the #4), Brookfield, and Richard. to talk about mental stuff!! by the way why dont Brokfield and Richard get much credit for closing the #4,? didnt they do it?

i guees when and if i close a #4 will i be able to answer my own (?)s about the mental aspect of it all.only then will i have gone the whole way, and know the wisdom! :D  maybee this grip thing is for each man alone, to find his way, his path, to find out more about himself!? think about this- perhaps the grippers are just a means to an end- instead of an end in and of themselves!      

train hard   dave

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Mobster brings up a good point. I know with myself, After I closed my #3 my training droped off some. I then got motivated and got my ELITE .   Now I am back to the un-motivated stage. I can't really say why. The #4 is an inch away. Thats like trying to close a #3 after you just got the #1. It has not helped my training any since they moved all of the strongman toys ( including the thick bars) to a wharehouse and not in the gym. Do I want to close the #4,**** yes !