Mac Batchelor Feats

mightyjoe

Here's some information I gathered from 2 different sources

on Mac Batchelor.

I have more but I got to do some more research through my books,

magazines and files.

Mac Batchelor, a Scotsman, emigrated to the US and settled in Los Angeles. A champion at wrist wrestling for 25 years

and retired undefeated (1931- 1956) Note: I know of no present day arm wrestler who has

went undefeated.

Mac feels his most meritorious feat of grip strength was to support his weight,

one-handed, from a 2" climbing rope while weighing 300 lbs. Note: If

anyone on the Grip Board can do this, please speak up. You're a FREAK!

Mac was the all-time champion at bending metal bottle caps. Mac bent these

with index finger and thumb straight out. He could then bend it double the same way.

He once did 500 caps without stopping.

Note: Can anyone reading this, accomplish this feat? If so, please speak up!

Mac could bend into a u-shape every standard size spike from 60 to 120 penny.

Note: I haven't been able to find out how Mac bent the spikes.

Mac could hook his middle finger into the hole of an 80 lb. barbell plate and

curl it to his shoulder. Ouch!

References to the above feats came from David Willoughby's book Super Athletes.

This article appeared in Iron Man Magazine, July 1977, Vol. 36, No. 5

The following feats come from David Gentle and David Webster's book,

Developing Grip Strength, pages 89-90

Mac could pinch between fingers and thumb of one hand two 80 lb. discs and

walk 30 feet with them. Note: I know of no one that can do this. If you do,

speak up!

Climbed a 20 foot ladder with a 600 lb. horse strapped to his back.

Walked 342 feet with a 600 lb. telephone pole on his shoulder.

Barbell curls with 200 lbs.

Note: No big deal by todays standards, except you can bet they were

strict.

90 lb. Zottman Curls.

Note: Basically this is a regular DB curl that finishes in a hammer curl.

You rotate your hand inwards as you're curling the DB. He did these strict. No

swinging of any kind. Note: If you can do this, please step forward. I've

heard people claim they can, but I've never witnessed it myself. If you can, you

have my full respect.

I'll have more as I dig it up.

Please note that David Willoughby, David Gentle, and David Webster were by

far some of the greatest strength historians ever. Especially Willoughby.

Hope you enjoy!

I'm not here to argue this information. I'm here to share it with you guys and hopefully

motivate and inspire you as it has me. :)

Thank you,

Mighty Joe

Here's some information I gathered from 2 different sources

on Mac Batchelor.

I have more but I got to do some more research through my books,

magazines and files.

Mac Batchelor, a Scotsman, emigrated to the US and settled in Los Angeles. A champion at wrist wrestling for 25 years

and retired undefeated (1931- 1956) Note: I know of no present day arm wrestler who has

went undefeated.

IMO, who he pulled would be more important than his W/L record.

Mac feels his most meritorious feat of grip strength was to support his weight,

one-handed, from a 2" climbing rope while weighing 300 lbs. Note: If

anyone on the Grip Board can do this, please speak up. You're a FREAK!

I bet Chad or Andrew with weight strapped on, would be pretty close to this.

Mac was the all-time champion at bending metal bottle caps. Mac bent these

with index finger and thumb straight out. He could then bend it double the same way.

He once did 500 caps without stopping.

Note: Can anyone reading this, accomplish this feat? If so, please speak up!

I would need to see this to believe it (double bending). If you've ever bent a cap twice you know what I'm talking about. I would like to see how he avoids putting it through his finger since he's just using a straight finger and a thumb.

Mac could bend into a u-shape every standard size spike from 60 to 120 penny.

Note: I haven't been able to find out how Mac bent the spikes.

Mac could hook his middle finger into the hole of an 80 lb. barbell plate and

curl it to his shoulder. Ouch!

References to the above feats came from David Willoughby's book Super Athletes.

This article appeared in Iron Man Magazine, July 1977, Vol. 36, No. 5

The following feats come from David Gentle and David Webster's book,

Developing Grip Strength, pages 89-90

walk 30 feet with them. Note: I know of no one that can do this. If you do,

speak up!

Climbed a 20 foot ladder with a 600 lb. horse strapped to his back.

Walked 342 feet with a 600 lb. telephone pole on his shoulder.

Barbell curls with 200 lbs.

Note: No big deal by todays standards, except you can bet they were

strict.

90 lb. Zottman Curls.

Note: Basically this is a regular DB curl that finishes in a hammer curl.

You rotate your hand inwards as you're curling the DB. He did these strict. No

swinging of any kind. Note: If you can do this, please step forward. I've

heard people claim they can, but I've never witnessed it myself. If you can, you

have my full respect.

I've done 70s for reps and think I could do at least an 80. Rob V could probably smoke a 90.

I'll have more as I dig it up.

Please note that David Willoughby, David Gentle, and David Webster were by

far some of the greatest strength historians ever. Especially Willoughby.

Hope you enjoy!

I'm not here to argue this information. I'm here to share it with you guys and hopefully

motivate and inspire you as it has me. :)

Thank you,

Mighty Joe

Thanks for digging this stuff up Joe! :rock I love reading about the old time stuff to keep motivated to train harder!

How to say this?

I've met Gentle several times, and he is a very nice and knowledgable chap, but he has REPEATED a lot of historical stuff (especially regarding Anderson) that would seem to have no basis in fact.

The question is not what Gripboard member can repeat those feats - but whether those feats can be substantiated.

How to say this?

I've met Gentle several times, and he is a very nice and knowledgable chap, but he has REPEATED a lot of historical stuff (especially regarding Anderson) that would seem to have no basis in fact.

The question is not what Gripboard member can repeat those feats - but whether those feats can be substantiated.

Hi Chris,

I'm curious. You're obviously a stickler for facts, so in all fairness

list your own criteria for an atheuntic feat considering the time frame

of any oldtime strongman.

When you list your criteria I'll apply it to various events and we'll see if you

will stick to your criteria.

I look forward to your criteria.

Don't forget context and time frame. You can't ask for something that didn't

exist at the time.

Be carefull what you list. ;)

Thank you,

Mighty Joe

I think a lot of people could do the 2" rope 300lb one arm support. A rope should offer a lot more friction than a 2" v-bar and supporting should be a lot easier than picking it up, getting to 300lbs bodyweight could be problem though...

I think a lot of people could do the 2" rope 300lb one arm support. A rope should offer a lot more friction than a 2" v-bar and supporting should be a lot easier than picking it up, getting to 300lbs bodyweight could be problem though...

Good point. A test could be for example, if you weighed 200 lbs.

you could hang a 100 lbs. worth of plates from your waist.

Like I said, if anyone can do it, they are one STRONG person.

Mighty Joe

Com'on man! climbing 2" rope one arm is not common for any bodyweight. Before this I only know another case of same. And the guy weighs only 130lbs. W/o training I did pick up amost 280lbs weight using barbel collar vertically as tool, and it's about 2" thick. And I found it hard to hang on 2" rope one arm, much less climbing one arm. And I did not reach my top weight yet doing this barbel collar lifting. I don't think I will see another 300er who could climb 2" rope for a long while. Even for 4 reps . But I love you to prove me wrong though.

He went undefeated at wristrestling from 1931-1956, huh? Too bad organized tournaments didn't originate until 1952.

He sounds like he was stronger than an ox with amazing grip strength. However, as has been mentioend in the other thread, pure strength alone will not make him the greatest armwrestler. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people could hold themselves on a rope with 1 hand while supporting 300 lbs.

He went undefeated at wristrestling from 1931-1956, huh? Too bad organized tournaments didn't originate until 1952.

He sounds like he was stronger than an ox with amazing grip strength. However, as has been mentioend in the other thread, pure strength alone will not make him the greatest armwrestler. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people could hold themselves on a rope with 1 hand while supporting 300 lbs.

Mac didn't compete in organized tournaments. There wasn't any.

Remember what I said about time period and context? Take off

your Twenty First Century sunglasses people. Gosh!

By the way, the first World Championship in US was Sept. 12 1976.

What organized tournament started in 1952 Josh?

Thanks for any enlightenment. :)

Mighty Joe

Com'on man! climbing 2" rope one arm is not common for any bodyweight. Before this I only know another case of same. And the guy weighs only 130lbs. W/o training I did pick up amost 280lbs weight using barbel collar vertically as tool, and it's about 2" thick. And I found it hard to hang on 2" rope one arm, much less climbing one arm. And I did not reach my top weight yet doing this barbel collar lifting. I don't think I will see another 300er who could climb 2" rope for a long while. Even for 4 reps . But I love you to prove me wrong though.

Thewalrus is correct. He hung from the rope. He didn't climb it one handed.

I'm still looking for someone who can do it. :)

Mighty Joe

Edited by Mighty Joe

Josh, It would be my greatest surprise (a good one) if there's a man who can hold on to a 2" rope while supporting 300#. Assuming the rope's hanging straight down.

Thewalrus is correct. He hung from the rope. He didn't climb it one handed.

I'm still looking for someone who can do it. :)

Mighty Joe

The one hand hang from a 2" rope is no joke. At 300 pounds it is more than a grip issue. I'm pretty sure I can do it on my 1.5" rope but haven't had the balls to let go yet because it feels like everything is going to tear. If you are going to try this one be carefull!

i can climb a rope but no way in hell am i holding myself up by 1 hand hahaha

another thing, how the hell did he climb a ladder with a 600lb horse on his back? i don't even know any ladders that can support 900lbs.

Edited by Pancake Sprawl

How to say this?

Hi Chris,

I'm curious. You're obviously a stickler for facts, so in all fairness

list your own criteria for an atheuntic feat considering the time frame

of any oldtime strongman.

When you list your criteria I'll apply it to various events and we'll see if you

will stick to your criteria.

I look forward to your criteria.

Don't forget context and time frame. You can't ask for something that didn't

exist at the time.

Be carefull what you list. ;)

Thank you,

Mighty Joe

I'll look forward to seeing my criteria being tested as if they are something I have just thought up for the sake of this conversation.

I'll be up front, I have my reservations over just about all of the "Old Time" Strongmen's feats. Many were done "for show" (circus/vaudeville etc), and there has been so much exaggeration going on for so many many years it is a pretty murky area.

However, as to Batchelor, what I would look for...

Source - you've found two sources for these claims - did they claim to witness the feats first hand? Are they simply passing on a story? Do the details match? Are they two different people witnessing the same event or does it become clear they are just telling the same story? And by story in this context I mean the information they are passing on, not that they are concocting anything fictional. And of course you have to make a judgment about the person who is passing on the story.

Dates/Times/Specifics - Are there any specific dates apart from the 1931 - 1956 claim? Who did he beat during this time to proclaim himself World Champion? Were the feats you listed just one offs, or were they regular? One assumes that carrying a 600lb horse up a 20 foot ladder would be done at some show - do any pictures survive? What sort of ladder was it, how was the horse attached? These bottle tops, what sort were they?

In your post you mention a 200lb curl. Did the reference give you "you can bet they were strict" or did you add that embellishment yourself? It makes a considerable amount of difference you know.

Actually I also skeptical of many of old time strongmen claims. BUt Many of the feat back them was for show, and to make money selling correspondent courses. Naturally if you're selling stuff like that you want people to think you're very best of them. I am not sure if Matt Batchelor was making any money for those claims. BTW, those old bottle caps were very hard for me to crush as a kid growing up. It took quite a while ot finally do one. And I did it with my thumb and the first knuckle of my index finger (near the base) To crush the old bottle cap with straight finger is super hard. He must have had very favorable tendon insertion in his hand, if you know what I mean.

walk 30 feet with them. Note: I know of no one that can do this. If you do, speak up!

That sounds like a misprint - maybe it was meant to read pinch gripped an 80-pound plate in each hand and walked 30-feet? If he could walk 30-feet while pinch gripping 160-pounds IN EACH HAND, then he could probably pinch grip two 100-pound plates - something that seems well beyond the range of human capabilities.

Mac didn't compete in organized tournaments. There wasn't any.

Remember what I said about time period and context? Take off

your Twenty First Century sunglasses people. Gosh!

By the way, the first World Championship in US was Sept. 12 1976.

What organized tournament started in 1952 Josh?

Thanks for any enlightenment. :)

Mighty Joe

Where the hell do you get 1976 from??!!?!

http://www.armwrestling.com/history.html

"The matches began In Gilardi's saloon In Petaluma, CA. in 1952."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petaluma,_California

"Petaluma held the world arm-wrestling championships from 1952 to 2003."

http://www.hickoksports.com/history/armwrestling.shtml

"the first organized competition was staged by a journalist, Bill Soberanes, in 1952 at Gilardi's Saloon in Petaluma, California."

http://www.paralumun.com/sportarm.htm

"In 1952, the first matches took place in Petaluma, California, in a saloon."

Likewise, the first televised armwrestling event was the world wristwrestling championships in 1969, also in Petaluma, California. This tournament is on ArmTv, as well as several other tournaments that took place prior to 1976. John Woolsey won his first world title in 1972 in Petaluma.

Ummm...I already posted what I think about this nonsense.

HEARSAY that has been exaggerated over the years, yet some are so foolish to believe that these "FEATS " are real.

Even with the best genetics, freakish god given strength, Unlimited access to scientific training methods and the best coaches you are trying to sell me on things nobody has ever been seen doing........not even the very best freaks. Wow!! how come SOOOOO many freaks walked the earth back then ? all these feats that nobody as of nowadays can even compare too ? Yet in EVERY sport records are broken year after year....and FACTUALLY athletes are getting bigger and STRONGER than ever. How many OFFICIAL records, not hearsay and accounts, BUT OFFICIAL records are still standing from this mans era ??

Joe, you failed to touch on my post about all the phony feats and strongman from back in that era.....WHY ?? I do know a little too........PLEASE indulge me with your answer.

You said once that Mac had hand strength that would make me look silly..............REALLY..........thats cool, when did you have him over to demonstrate these feats for you, or see him at a grip tournament ?.......oh!....NEVER.

If we are going by what your pappy's grand parry once heard from his gool buddy at the local watering hole.................then call me a believer. :dry

I actually used to read books about men much stronger than even Mac....................HULK, SUPERMAN, HERCULES, THING...................I even READ once that the mighty THOR could front lever a 200lb hammer........AMAZING! imagine if he were around, no body could stop his toproll !

Anyhow, I think you should have let this foolishness die with the other thread.

Yet, you come on here with ridiculous feats from 5th hand accounts......C'mon.................you seem pretty locical.

Oh, I am a ROOFER, the BEST ladders today are rated at 350lbs. sure it is a rating, but at least thay are metal.

Weren't ladders made of wood back then ? And what was the horse doing while he was climbing the ladder ? I tried to carry my cat up an outside staircase once.....................oh yeah ! He F U C Ked me up.

Then again I'm no MAC.

160lb one handed pinch eh ? all I can say is BS BS BS BS.................but it is good entertainment.

300 on a rope, I believe I can do this fairly easily, I have done well over 300lbs on a v-bar and that is smooth. I have swung from a rope swing one handed and after the initial drop and centrifugal force really kicking in I am guessing that the force was about 300 lbs.

90lb. zottman.....yup,yup,yup.......I can do it.............STRICT...............even though I know you can't REALLY defend his form.

The rest is too lame to even touch on. Call me a non believer, but I have heard hundreds of these stories, they are kinda like those books I used to play with MAD LIBS. Take whatever name and ridiculous poundages and just fill in the blanks.