Some Recent Bends

MalachiMcMullen

I'm bored, a friend asked to see some of my recent bends, and I haven't posted to my blog in awhile so I figured "Why not?"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pKjW9iQ7GC0/SToQ...t+Bends+002.jpg

In the bunch you'll see a piece of stainless from Tim Iacobucci that has a crush that puts an Edgin to shame. Still haven't finished that one as it's at 2 1/8" with an incredible spring. Other pieces include a 6" FNL JH Edgin, a 6.5" Triangle Edgin, a 5.5x5/16 304 Stainless piece, a 7" Big G2 bolt, 2 6" G5's taped together and a 3/8x8.25" CRS bend. The 3/8" piece on top is a 3/8x7.5" piece that ended up hurting my LH index finger, but not after having a nice bow put in it. The black bolt in the center is an 8" Big G8 that I've been working on. It's a tough SOB and it's taken 2 or 3 sessions to get it to 35 degrees where you see it now :happy

Awsome bending. I do have 1 terribly ignorant question though. Exactly what is an Edgin? I have worn the search function out on here trying to figure out what the thing is and I still don't know :blush

Awsome bending. I do have 1 terribly ignorant question though. Exactly what is an Edgin? I have worn the search function out on here trying to figure out what the thing is and I still don't know :blush

An Edgin is a 5/16" diameter, 7" long Grade 5. Clay Edgin was the first reported to bend one. So it was named after him.

Great bends Zach! :rock You really have come a remarkably long way in unbraced bending in a pretty short time. Is that 6" Edgin actually crushed down more than the 6.5" Edgin? I can't tell if maybe I've got them mixed up. And that 3/8"X7" G2 must be one of the 307A-DFs. Because no other fat G2 I've ever felt would stop you at your current strength level.

That's some nice bending there Zach!!! :rock You're definitely getting deep into the top level stuff. Keep it up man, they'll all die, after all, it's only steel right? :cool

BTW- What did you think of the 6'' JH FNL edgin? Mine felt just a little easier than a Triangle of the same length.

Zach, if you're looking for more of that nasty Stainless-303, K&S Engineering (out of Chicago I think) supplies the only hardware store in town that has ever carried the nasty Stainless-303 that I have bent a bunch of. It is freaking nasty stuff. Hard to directly compare how hard it is...but when my best bend was still a Big Shiny (in about 3 minutes) I failed every single time to crush down a 7" piece of this stuff in less than 10 minutes. A 6" piece of it is without a doubt harder than a Grand Shiny and very close in difficulty to a Mag Shiny.

http://www.ksmetals.com/resources/Order+Form.pdf

Those are some nice bends, Zach...you're kicking butt with that stuff lately.

Thanks guys :blush

The 6" Edgin is not crushed down further than the 6.5". The 6" is the goldish one off to the right. It felt a lot like a Huge Shiny and got stuck at almost the exact same spot as my most recent Huge Shiny attempt. The 6.5" Edgin and the 5.5 304 are stuck at exactly the same angle. The 3/8" G2 is actually a BXC bolt that I attempted a few weeks ago, the DF's I have actually feel about the same. I might be able to take it further right now but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the info Ben!!! I will certainly be talking with KSMetals soon :happy

Awesome Bends Zach you have been working hard and its apying off for sure great job!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher

Incredible bends! Great bending for sure.

Tim

You have a very strong kink strength, great work Zach!! :rock

Edited by White Scorpion

Damn man, sorry I am late on this. These bends are insane, I didn't realize you had progressed so far with the short bending by now. I am also very surprised at how high the stainless I got is ranking. Is it that much harder on the crush than an edgin? I only have 1 of those and I can't kink it. I may spring for a few more and try some cheat kinked ones now.

That 3/8" stuff is nuts, even at 8.25 being crs that is nuts. The big g8 is the one that surprised me the most though, obviously you still have yet to hit the real ramp up on that thing but even moving ith at all is amazing.

Thanks guys :)

Damn man, sorry I am late on this. These bends are insane, I didn't realize you had progressed so far with the short bending by now. I am also very surprised at how high the stainless I got is ranking. Is it that much harder on the crush than an edgin? I only have 1 of those and I can't kink it. I may spring for a few more and try some cheat kinked ones now.

That 3/8" stuff is nuts, even at 8.25 being crs that is nuts. The big g8 is the one that surprised me the most though, obviously you still have yet to hit the real ramp up on that thing but even moving ith at all is amazing.

Tim, your stainless is incredible stuff. You stainless is mind-bogglingly hard. I've done a few Edgins by now and am closing in on an easy 6.5" one, your stainless is still at 2 1/8" after a fresh attempt from straight.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen