A thick bar source

Sybersnott

I decided to let everyone in on source where I got my thick bar.  I recently purchased and completed my thick bar, and today I weighed the seven foot massive beast.  Even though it isn't a solid steel thick bar, it came in at a juicy 60 pounds.

The place where I got it is called Metal Supermarkets.  They have locations all over the states and they have a wide variety of sizes and shapes to fit the bill.  I was interested in getting a 2" thick bar, and depending on what you want, I must warn you it will NOT be cheap.  I ended up purchasing a very thick steel pipe, 1/2" inner wall, since solid steel stainless was out of my budget at the time (maybe I'll get that later).  The dude working there was very helpful (thanks Thomas), and when I told him what it was for, he and I got into a long discussion about weightlifting and strength training.  He told me most of the guys that start working there quit immediately because they can't lift most of the stuff in the warehouse.  You should of SEEN the steel in that place!!  Grip heaven.  I saw a solid piece of steel five feet long and the diameter was four inches!  Yes, I tried to pick it up - no, I didn't lift it!  It seemed like whatever I wanted, they had it in stock.

Anyhow, if you're interested... here's the link:

http://www.metalsupermarkets.com

You gotta love the name..I pictured shopping carts full of steel and a message over the intercom "clean up in aile three"

This is where I got my steel for my bar as well (found the store by accident shopping at Lee Valley for my Christmas presents), although I went crazy and paid the big bucks for a solid bar of 2inch diameter steel!  Then I picked up some 2inch muffler clamps from Canadian Tire for a few bucks.  I haven't even bothered to get them weld on as they bolt on quite tight.

Jon@han

What is this unmentionable price for a 7'x2" CRS bar?   I want to know if I should stick with the CRS or splurge and grab IronMinds 2" bar, or just fall back on the 1" standard bar with the double-PVC-steel-pipe-duct-tape-and-glue 2" creation.

Sybersnott

Small world,i 2 use Metal Supermarkets hear in the UK.

I recently got some 3.5 inch bar and had it turned down on a friends lathe,ended up with2.5,3,and 3.5 inch d/bells (nice).

Also got some 2.5 and 3 inch X6ft sleeves to go over 2 inch solid bar that now weigh88lbs and 110lbs empty. :D