Warming up for bending

The Gripster

To all the benders out there. I want to start incorporating bending into my routine and I was wondering the best way to warm-up. Is it better to bend easy things and work your way up, or would leverage bar twists(palm up then turn wrist 90 degrees, then palm down then turn 90 degrees) be the way to go? Also would gutter spikes be good for starting out? Thanks for any help.  :)

I like 2 do some light plate curls & or sledge hammer lever'n.As far as what 2 bend the gutter spikes r easy but it depends on yer strength level.Try some 30d nails or mabey 20d like I said it depends on yer level!!!!  Sometime I start out with 40d nails....

I bend after I use the grippers, and the first nail I start with is usually an easy 60 penny spiral nail from Lowe's, a 60 penny nail from Home Depot that are made in Chile, or a 6" piece of 1/4" colled rolled steel.  It all depends on how I feel.  After that, it's off to the races.

I like high-rep, low-weight wrist rollers untill my wrists start feeling warm and swollen.  The swolen and warm state is uncomparable to bending "cold".  I wouldn't dare try big lever lifts or the big bends without warm wrists.  For me, this even works to the extreme, as my PR's in levering have been minutes after maxing-out with high-weight, high-rep wrist rolling.

My warm-up for bending is similar to 3Crusher's. I use the grippers first and then move on to small nails. After several small nails, I progressively work my way up to the tough steel. I think this method works very well as I have been fortunate to avoid any serious injury. As with any training, it would be wise to experiment with several of these ideas and see what's most effective for you.

Thanks for the replies. I think that since I love doing wrist-roller work, I'll do what bender suggested and start warming up that way first. I will then bend something very easy. Also, since I'm just starting to bend things the gutter spikes are plenty strong for me. I've read in past post anywhere from 85lbs to around 120lbs. I don't know which I have, but with a rag, I can bend it til it breaks with some effort. When I can bend easily without rag I'll move up to Ironmind White.     :D

I hurt my shoulder once bending and now do an entire body warm-up prior to my first bend. The full body warm-up includes sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups and some light wrist work. My first bend is a gutter spike, then a 40d and then the hard (for me) stuff.

Mike M.

Good point, Supersqueeze.  

I've experienced some nasty "twinges" in my elbows when I try to bend cold, and stopped immediately.   Now, I too put bending after weight lifting and then wrist-rolling.  

I've heard once on the internet to learn to bend "With out a warm-up and with out a wash cloth" because that's how you will perform it for others.  Yea, right.  Questionable advice, and really not appropriate for many people.  

I’ve now learned when somebody wants to see “the nail trick”, I tell them to come back later at a certain time, after I have warmed up.  It’s not worth it.  Unless it’s a she, and she’s hot. :)