New To Bending

NEETOP

Hello all,

I've started bending a few weeks ago, bought the beginners bag from FBBC. First I tried DO with little success and a bit more with DU but I've had lots of success with Heslep and reverse style. I have searched around for tips and watched numerous videos on DO but when I try it feels uncomfortable and find I have no power with it. Can anyone give me advice on how to improve my DO? Thanks

seems like your just lacking shoulder flexibility. i was the same way when I started. do some shoulder stretches and keep practising that DO, itll come

Thanks but I already watched that video but with no luck, but I'll try again.

seems like your just lacking shoulder flexibility. i was the same way when I started. do some shoulder stretches and keep practising that DO, itll come

What shoulder stretches did you use to improve your DO? Thanks

A good stretch to increase ROM in your shoulder and help DO style bending is the shoulder dislocate stretch.

A net search should bring up some helpful info, here's a clip: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kXwTBcZpNBI&NR=1

You can use a broom handle, belt, theraband, towel etc. Gradually decrease the distance between your hands as the stretch becomes easier. :)

Edit:

Here's a useful article: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=265

A good stretch to increase ROM in your shoulder and help DO style bending is the shoulder dislocate stretch.

A net search should bring up some helpful info, here's a clip: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kXwTBcZpNBI&NR=1

You can use a broom handle, belt, theraband, towel etc. Gradually decrease the distance between your hands as the stretch becomes easier. :)

Edit:

Thanks Mike :D

Can the shoulder dislocate stretch damage the shoulders at all, say if done too often or fast?

I would take it real slow. definitely no jerky movements. im not sure about the frequency, I did it every other day as a warmup before bending

Can the shoulder dislocate stretch damage the shoulders at all, say if done too often or fast?

I haven't heard anyone that I have recommended it to complain of shoulder problems anymore ;) I actually told an older acquantence of mine, about mid-40's, about the shoulder dislocate stretch. He started doing them and came to me a month later saying it's the best thing since sliced bread. He had some minor shoulder tightness and some nagging pain in his shoulders and the dislocations were the only new thing he tried during that time. I'd say that if anything involving the dislocation stretch would damage or hurt your shoulders, it would be not doing them :happy

Hello all,

I've started bending a few weeks ago, bought the beginners bag from FBBC. First I tried DO with little success and a bit more with DU but I've had lots of success with Heslep and reverse style. I have searched around for tips and watched numerous videos on DO but when I try it feels uncomfortable and find I have no power with it. Can anyone give me advice on how to improve my DO? Thanks

If you also experiment with differing angles of forward lean that should do the trick for you. You'll be able to bring the bar up higher under your chin with the right degree of lean. Combine the correct angle of forward lean for your body with pulling your shoulder blades back and shrugging your shoulders up towards you ears and it'll give you another bit of tightness with the bar held high.

Bend from now on in front of a mirror. Every bend. Even warmups. Stand sideways, stand facing the mirror. See yourself in various angles and it'll click a lot faster than trying to "feel" what you're doing. Seeing is believing.

LMAO

Bro if your worried about hurting yourself with stretching you may not want to bend anymore.

Hello all,

If you also experiment with differing angles of forward lean that should do the trick for you. You'll be able to bring the bar up higher under your chin with the right degree of lean. Combine the correct angle of forward lean for your body with pulling your shoulder blades back and shrugging your shoulders up towards you ears and it'll give you another bit of tightness with the bar held high.

Bend from now on in front of a mirror. Every bend. Even warmups. Stand sideways, stand facing the mirror. See yourself in various angles and it'll click a lot faster than trying to "feel" what you're doing. Seeing is believing.

LMAO

Bro if your worried about hurting yourself with stretching you may not want to bend anymore.

I know that when bending you are prone to injuries but I just wanted some advice so to help me start slowly and go for as long as possible without injury.

Hi Neetop, I do these but use an easy exercise band. Seems to work pretty good for me. I also warm up my shoulders before bending using this same band as a chest expander. Watching that guy do them with the stick just about hurts my feelins :D

Edit:

Holy Crap, I just tried this after some bending and it made my shoulders feel GREAT. Glad I stumbled onto this thread!! I couldnt believe how unflexible my shoulders were. I couldnt even do this with my arms extended fully with a broom stick. I had to bend just slightly to get my hands behing me. Great stretching technique, and this is coming from a guy with a major shoulder injury. Thanks guys!!