The Power Of Grip

Grippster

I was just thinking the other day, grip is so much more important than most people could have ever imagined. I mean, when my friends want to wrestle with me, I realize how much control I have just because of my grip. You can literally control the other person if your grip is good enough. In fact, I'd even say that in some cases your hand strength is more important than biceps or shoulders or any of those other muscles. It's probably the most useful thing when working on machines/vehicles. For example, I'm the only one out of all my friends who can remove an oil filter by hand. I can get away with using tools that don't offer enough leverage in some cases cause I have the gripping power. It's interesting, people will seem confused at first as to why I train grip strength, but when they figure it out all of a sudden they wanna know where they can get a set of grippers. Amazing how something so vital as hand strength can be neglected by so many people, isn't it?

And also I forgot to add, when you have a good grip you can feel all your other muscles don't have to work as hard. Like, when I do chinups it feels like everything else is a bit more relaxed because my hands can do a lot of the "holding". Same with pulling on a wrench. My whole arm has an easier time if I can grab and hold it the way I want.

ilove grappling. anyway, grip strength is way over rated. sometimes i wish i had joe kinneys, john brookefield, richards. andyone of these guys grip. that would carry over so well to grappling.

I was just thinking the other day, grip is so much more important than most people could have ever imagined.

True that, considering most people can't grip a damn thing.

I mean, when my friends want to wrestle with me, I realize how much control I have just because of my grip. You can literally control the other person if your grip is good enough.

Some of the best wrestlers have the greatest grip strength - IMO it's VERY important in wrestling.

For example, I'm the only one out of all my friends who can remove an oil filter by hand. I can get away with using tools that don't offer enough leverage in some cases cause I have the gripping power.

Out of all the professions out there in terms of grip strength, mechanics rank near the very top.

It's interesting, people will seem confused at first as to why I train grip strength, but when they figure it out all of a sudden they wanna know where they can get a set of grippers.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. When I show the grippers to people, they suddenly get interested in it.

Amazing how something so vital as hand strength can be neglected by so many people, isn't it?

It seems hand strength is very neglected, which is why the average person's grip strength is terrible.

Absolutely.

Your hands are the last link in the kinetic chain. It really doesn't matter how strong your body is, if you have weak hands, you won't be able to transfer force very well.

My Stepfather has worked security for years. He was fanatical about training grip when he was young (he can mash a 2.5 off of no training!!!) and he said that having strong hands have prevented lots of incidents for him - he just had to get hold of the person's arm or shoulder and it would scare them enough to stop struggling or to calm down.

My theory on why it's neglected is that grip strength doesn't really show, at least not like having big biceps do. Many people train for looks, but like Samuelsson said "Some people train to get pretty, I train to be the strongest man I can be".