My First Red Goes Down

JDarty6173

Well I finally picked up a Red a couple nights ago to see what i could do with it. This comes after 3 weeks of no bending after I had a session I posted about where i hit 10 6" x 1/4 grade 8s and 2 5" Grade 8. I received several replies in that thread that I should be able to hit a red based on those bends.

Well the first red I picked up took at least 10 minutes to finish. I just could not seem to get comfortable with the 7" bar. Shorter just feels better to me. I was using my own retarded form of DU which basically starts at my upper abs instead of up under my chin.

Things clicked with the next Red and I finished it in about 20 seconds, along with 3 more right after it. So I was pretty happy with my first Red session. I was only hoping to bend 1 bar and ended up finishing 5 reds.

I wrapped it up with a few grade 8s, a couple pieces of square stock, and a 6" x 5/16" Grade 2. My training partner Curt got at least part of one of my red bends on video, so i will try to get that posted once he gets it to me. Now once I actually improve my flexibility to a usable level where I can go DO, I may actually hit some big bends.

sounds like an awesome bending session. 20 seconds for a red is unreal! keep up the great work

Well I finally picked up a Red a couple nights ago to see what i could do with it. This comes after 3 weeks of no bending after I had a session I posted about where i hit 10 6" x 1/4 grade 8s and 2 5" Grade 8. I received several replies in that thread that I should be able to hit a red based on those bends.

Well the first red I picked up took at least 10 minutes to finish. I just could not seem to get comfortable with the 7" bar. Shorter just feels better to me. I was using my own retarded form of DU which basically starts at my upper abs instead of up under my chin.

Things clicked with the next Red and I finished it in about 20 seconds, along with 3 more right after it. So I was pretty happy with my first Red session. I was only hoping to bend 1 bar and ended up finishing 5 reds.

I wrapped it up with a few grade 8s, a couple pieces of square stock, and a 6" x 5/16" Grade 2. My training partner Curt got at least part of one of my red bends on video, so i will try to get that posted once he gets it to me. Now once I actually improve my flexibility to a usable level where I can go DO, I may actually hit some big bends.

3 weeks? Incredible, it took me 10 months, i'm jealous, how did you wrap it?

Congrats, I'm jealous ;)

I had not planned on taking that much time between bending sessions, but I was letting a small injury heal and did not want to aggravate it. My plan is to start bending 2 times per week.

Edited by JDarty6173

Congrats on killing the red! :rock I'd like to see this strange DU technique. That's how you start it? Sounds painful.

Congrats on killing the red! :rock I'd like to see this strange DU technique. That's how you start it? Sounds painful.

Well I start the bend with the bar a little below my upper abs with my wrists kinda cocked back. Then I basically just fold in the bar with my wrists then press in on it once the bend starts. Try to picture using DO technique only with a DU grip. I just accidentally found this type of form when I wanted to bend one day after a bench session. I had too much blood in my chest, arms, and shoulders to even try to get in position for a DO so I just started playing around with different positions. Then a grade 8 almost accidentally melted in my hands when I got in this odd position. It can be a bit tough on the wrists with volume, but not that bad for a few bends.

Unfortunately I am not yet flexible enough for a good DO bend. I can only get the bar to just under my chin, but cannot get it near my body. My best DO bend which resembles what is referred to as "Slim" style is a 6" x 1/4" grade 8. And it is not helping that I recently gained 15 pounds to move up a weight class for powerlifting.

Very Nice keep it up bro.

Thanks. It was your videos that really inspired me to get into bending.