How Many Complete Bends Do You Do In One Workout?

Jeff Parker

35 members have voted

1. 1. How many complete bends do you do in one workout on average?

• 1 or less
    • 2-4
    • 5-10
    • 10-15
    • 16-20
    • over 20

I am back after a long time off. I think its been around 2 years, maybe more since I was doing serious grip work. Everythings settled down now in my life so I will be training a lot.

Today I did my first bending workout. Did a yellow, then a blue, than a 60D and then 2 1/4 grade5's at 6 inches and one at 5.5

That about did it for my first session in a long time. Just wondering how many complete bends everyone makes in an average workout. Not really sure what I am going to bend thursday or how much of it.

Good to see you back Jeff! It all depends on what kind of a day I'm shooting for. I'd switch mine up a lot.

I might have a volume day where I'd do a few easy bends and then do volume with Bastards and beyond. Anywhere from 15-50 total bends on these days.

On another day I'd go for a length PR and keep after it regardless of the time limit. Just keep coming back to a bend every 5 minutes or so and keeping track of how much I move it each time until it's either finished off or frozen and I run out of time. Anywhere from 1 (no warmup sometimes) to 3 bends on these days.

The next bending day I'd usually do a variation of lengths. 4", 5", 6", 7", and 8". There were always about a dozen bends on the variations in length days.

Anymore, I don't even do warmup bends. I just stretch real good and go for a PR bend. Usually do 2 or 3 bends overall, all at max effort. Leaves me smoked and progressing. :D

I usually end up going for a PR bend of some kind, length, new bar, kink, crush, thickness and so on. After that I just do whatever it is that I feel like. I usually end up bending when I feel strong, so I end up with 2-5 good strong bends and/or attempts. I can't remember the last time I just did one bend or more than 5 in a session. Then again, the way I work(and Chad as well :laugh ), is when I'm after a goal I bend everyday until I stop making progress and then just rest. When I come back I'm MUCH stronger than I was before.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Usually a GR2 5/16, then a Bastard, then an Edgin, then something shorter (SS or a shorter Edgin). Usually about once every 3-6 weeks, until before the BBB this year, then stepped it up to a couple times per week for a couple of months. I'm going to try to do regular sessions for the whole year this year (starting sometime soon.....).

typical bending workout for me lately:

warmup:

2-3 60d's

1-2 6.5x5/16 CRS

1 6" triangle edgin

main event

1-2 high level bends

maybe some isos with previous attempt stuck bars.

- Aaron

warmup:

2-3 60d's

1-2 6.5x5/16 CRS

1 6" triangle edgin

main event

1-2 high level bends

- Aaron

Umm....you might not be aware, AAron, but the 6" Edgin is kind of a high level bend... ;)

warmup:

2-3 60d's

1-2 6.5x5/16 CRS

1 6" triangle edgin

main event

1-2 high level bends

- Aaron

Umm....you might not be aware, AAron, but the 6" Edgin is kind of a high level bend... ;)

Not to Aaron, he does that as a warmup ;)

I guess I don't do just a couple of bends all the time, here lately I've been doing a couple bastards, and a brutal hex or shiny. Usually alternating between DO and DU. Rev. gets done occasionally, but I hate it, so not that often. Here lately though, I've been trad. DUing a few 5''x1/4'' JH g5s, and crushing them down in tiny single leathers. Also bending 60d's in any way you can imagine. I have been taking bastards, shinys, short squares(ouch) and crushing them down in singles from about 20-30 to way under 2''. I dunno about a 6'' edgin as a warm up, but I have recently been bending one of those as a "last bend of the night, totally waste you good" kind of thing. Not going hardcore again till after gripmas, so I'm just trying to keep my flexibility and bending strength up with the routines above. :cool

warm up with some bends du

5-10 bends with arms outstretched

10-15 bends du

10-15 bends reverse

5 tougher bends

then some braced stuff

Just wondering how many complete bends everyone makes in an average workout.

Hopefully one. I usually do that every few months - I don't want to over train this stuff :D .

Good to see you back Jeff! It all depends on what kind of a day I'm shooting for. I'd switch mine up a lot.

I might have a volume day where I'd do a few easy bends and then do volume with Bastards and beyond. Anywhere from 15-50 total bends on these days.

On another day I'd go for a length PR and keep after it regardless of the time limit. Just keep coming back to a bend every 5 minutes or so and keeping track of how much I move it each time until it's either finished off or frozen and I run out of time. Anywhere from 1 (no warmup sometimes) to 3 bends on these days.

The next bending day I'd usually do a variation of lengths. 4", 5", 6", 7", and 8". There were always about a dozen bends on the variations in length days.

Thanks for the tip. I tried the PR workout today. I did a 5" G5. Immediatly bent it to the crush down point but it got stuck. I kept going back at it again and again, barely moving it each time. Went for close to a half hour on and off but could not get it down to 2". Crush has always been my weak point, never had a problem with the kink. It was a killer workout.