My thick handle dumbell

ruffhans

About  a month ago i decided to do my art, ( im a pencil artist) fulltime.  i am going to try it out for a few months and see if it will bring in enough money. i have been doing it on the side for 3 years. anyway i have not had much money to work with. ive been wanting to get a thick handled dumbell, or at least make one! :D  never picking one up, or laying hands on one i didnt know how it would feel. down in my basement i found a 3 foot 2 inch pipe. took it out side and put each end through a hole in a cynder block. put my hand around it and lifted! wow i like it!!!  wanting to know how much i lifted, i wieghed each block. each one came in at 50 lbs. i could only perform 3 rows in each hand with this 100 lb thick handled dumbell.   what i need to know from you guys is, is this a good lift? or am i still a vimpy  little gurl?! :p

Hi ruffhans,

if i understand well (100lbs, 2 inches rotating (?) handle and one arm lift) then :  basically it's not a very impressive lift... BUT, it's not that bad for a start. Moreover it depends on your hand's length...The shorter, the better the lift.

Anyway you definitely don't have a sissy grip ;)

Tough question...Only individual answers i guess :)

Well, i only have an average potential strength. My hands are long (8.3") which matters a lot. Last time i tried to beat my PR i did a 132lbs one arm deadlift with my 2.5" handle dumbbell. I consider it already as a good to very good lift FOR ME. The strongest of the members here can almost do twice as much (i'm exagerating a bit here :) ).

Let's suppose that doubling one's initial strength makes a very good lift then a very good lift for you would be +200lbs on a 2" rotating handle dumbbell. Now what would be a good lift ?

Let's say : 150lbs ?

There's something about lifting homemade equipment that you can't get out of a perfectly balanced metal plate set.  How are you planning to add weight to your contraption?  Hang stuff through the cinderblock holes???  

Jon@han

i can place 5 lb plates in the holes, also i can add on half bricks. i know this is not as good as having a real thick handled dumbell,.but just for awhile, to see what i can get, it will work.  hey better than nothing at all! :D