Olympic Weight Set

justiceislost1988

If all you need is a cheap set for home use then start looking for Black Friday (day after Thanskgiving) specials. I picked up a 300 lb Olympic set from Sports Authority for $80 that way. The bar is only rated to 500 pounds but that serves my purposes for now and probably the foreseeable future. Even today you should be able to get a cheap set for under $150. This assumes you have a store nearby and don't have to pay for shipping.

If you need quality weights for some reason then perhaps someone else has some better advice.

Check out Craigslist.

There are lots of listings, but a rather interesting dynamic. Everyone is priced way too high and the listings just sit there. Then someone will lower their price, and the weights are gone instantly. Best bet is to find a set you like and try to talk them down. Or at least ask them to call you back if they decide to reduce after they find out they can't sell.

I wouldn't pay more than about $100 for a used 300# set. When they get to that price, that's when they seem to sell instantly.

Check Play It Again Sports. You can find good used stuff there. I found a Texas power bar there for 40 bucks a few weeks back.

I agree with the Play It Again Sports comment. Try to find an olympic bar that is not chrome and does not have end bolts.

End bolts can come loose so you need to check them all the time. They are also a sign of a cheaper bar. Sure, it will probably work fine for most people, but if you can get a better bar for the same price, why not?

Chrome bars are also usually a sign of a cheaper made bar too.

I got what turned out to be a York olympic bar probably made in the 80's from a Play It Again Sports a few months ago for $30. I'm sure they had no idea that a new York would cost about $400.

It is not a chrome bar so it wasn't pretty, but it's a great bar.

go to your local flea markets and ask around you will get contacts also storage contaner lots have sales go there even if your not going to buy the lot who ever does if there is weights in it they will sell them real cheap so they dont have to lug them around i have people tracking me down at the markets to see if i want more weights good luck play it again is 50 cents a pound and a bar is 35$ sometimes york bars rusted up

• 4 weeks later...

My store sells plates now for 1.30/lb and 75$ for 500lb test bar. Thats 255x1.3=332 + 75 = $407 for a 300lb set. They keep going up also. We have seen a double in price this year. Steel prices from China and the weak American dollar is causing them to skyrocket right now. I know you can get them cheaper but pretty much everybody is up and you can expect it to get worse. Your best bet is craigslist.

I just sold 8 45lb plates on craigs list for $120. It's definitely the way to go for someone looking for a deal, especially right now. Everyone is eager to sell things for holiday gift money, yet no one wants to buy exercise equipment.

Yeah, I'd originally listed them at $180, dealt with a couple no-shows, then got a guy who lived close and would come get 'em the next morning for the right price. Maybe others on craigslist are more patient than me, but I got tired of dealing with the whole process.

My store sells plates now for 1.30/lb and 75$ for 500lb test bar. Thats 255x1.3=332 + 75 = $407 for a 300lb set. They keep going up also. We have seen a double in price this year. Steel prices from China and the weak American dollar is causing them to skyrocket right now. I know you can get them cheaper but pretty much everybody is up and you can expect it to get worse. Your best bet is craigslist.

The dollar has gone up a lot in value on the FOREX market recently, and the price of scrap steel has dropped quite a bit, but new steel hasn't dropped yet. It should be coming down soon.

crap i wish someone was living in northern california 8 45s that was a steal lucky bastard him!!im still lookin for oly bar and plates :dry

Edited by deadgame1

About two weeks ago, I was plodding along a Play It Again Sports store and came across a 300 pound weight set selling for 79 bucks. I should have bought it but didn't because I have enough weights now; I went back a week after that and it was gone. The deals are out there, you just haffta look around for them.

About two weeks ago, I was plodding along a Play It Again Sports store and came across a 300 pound weight set selling for 79 bucks. I should have bought it but didn't because I have enough weights now; I went back a week after that and it was gone. The deals are out there, you just haffta look around for them.

Stinks, there used to be a Play It Again around where I live, but I'm pretty sure it's closed now :(