Weird Sensation (neurological?)

Grippster

The other night I was reading in bed and I accidentally figured out how to do something really odd. I have no idea how this happened, but I am now able to "flex" my brain in a certain way. It's like flexing a muscle except it's my brain. When I do it I feel current run down my neck and it goes into the backs of my legs. If I hold it for longer than 1 or 2 seconds it's overwhelming and it's very tiring. However, there's a sense of power when I do it. If I do this while performing leg press I can do extra reps even when my legs are so tired they can barely move. I don't know how to do this to any other muscle except the legs for now, but does anyone know what this is called or what it is? I honestly had no idea which forum to post this in. It didn't fit any of the forum descriptions.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grippster

• Magnus

• Pancake Sprawl

• Raadster

Weird...

The brain shouldn't be able to flex. What is possible though is to tense up and in effect push more blood into the brain and increase blood pressure.

If this is what is happening, I would advise not to do it. I'm no expert but I would guess that the only thing that would come from it is dissyness, headaches, brownouts and in worst case damage to the blood capilars in the brain.

Weird...

The brain shouldn't be able to flex. What is possible though is to tense up and in effect push more blood into the brain and increase blood pressure.

If this is what is happening, I would advise not to do it. I'm no expert but I would guess that the only thing that would come from it is dissyness, headaches, brownouts and in worst case damage to the blood capilars in the brain.

It has nothing to do with blood, I feel current go from the back of my brain and down my spine and into my legs. I can totally relax all my muscles and do it. I'm afraid to do it anymore just incase there's something wrong.

Your brain is an organ, NOT a muscle, ergo, you cannot flex your brain. Also, you are probably experiencing a placebo effect of some sort because you cannot will a current to go through your body < <

Edited by thewalrus

Weird...

It has nothing to do with blood, I feel current go from the back of my brain and down my spine and into my legs. I can totally relax all my muscles and do it. I'm afraid to do it anymore just incase there's something wrong.

As I've said, I'm no expert. I just got the impression that it was a similar case of holding your breath and tensing up under load, wich can sometimes help to exert more force. I've done that myself before, and I suffered because of it.

But if it's more of a state of mind that transfers as a feeling that goes from your brain and out. Then ignore what I've said... I just felt the need to point out that any pressure in your brain during lifts can be harmful. And I got that impression from the word flex

You said it's going from the back of your brain down to your legs, right? It may be possible that you're really flexing your upper neck (which does feel like your brain), and are pinching a nerve, may give the sensation of a "current" going down your back, and that the increase in strength may just be mental. Of coarse,

I'm definitely no expert on the subject, but it's just a thought :)

Your brain is an organ, NOT a muscle, ergo, you cannot flex your brain. Also, you are probably experiencing a placebo effect of some sort because you cannot will a current to go through your body < <
Weird...

As I've said, I'm no expert. I just got the impression that it was a similar case of holding your breath and tensing up under load, wich can sometimes help to exert more force. I've done that myself before, and I suffered because of it.

But if it's more of a state of mind that transfers as a feeling that goes from your brain and out. Then ignore what I've said... I just felt the need to point out that any pressure in your brain during lifts can be harmful. And I got that impression from the word flex

You said it's going from the back of your brain down to your legs, right? It may be possible that you're really flexing your upper neck (which does feel like your brain), and are pinching a nerve, may give the sensation of a "current" going down your back, and that the increase in strength may just be mental. Of coarse,

I'm definitely no expert on the subject, but it's just a thought :)

I think I'm giving everyone the wrong idea. I'm using the word "flex" because I don't really know how else to put it. Alright, you know how it feels when you think hard? You sort of "use" your brain? It's like that but instead it's like I'm doing something else with it. It has nothing to do with my neck either. There is no physical force exerted. The reason I'm using the word "current" is because it feels like power of some kind and the only kind I know of that your body generates is electrical. It's like revving a motor in neutral, so the power is there but it's not being used until you put it in drive. It's like pre-loading the muscle that this "current" is sent to. Trust me guys, I know all the mental tricks you can use to get more power while weight lifting and this is totally new to me. I just don't know if it's a problem or if I simply picked up on a useful new trick.

sounds like some kind of bio-feedback kind of thing. maybe you are just feeling your Chi or something.

- Aaron

this is the best thing ive ever read hahaha

:D Teddy LMAO

This will sound insane but i can do the same thing, ive never actually done it while exercising but i often do it when ive just hopped into bed, if im tired i find that if i do this that my muscles feel awesome and less fatigued.

It is definitely a current that runs thru the body, i feel it intensely run thru the sinus area and then also shoot down my back into my legs, especially my calves.

I wouldn't worry about it, ive been able to bring on this feeling of a current ever since i was little and have had nothing wrong with me other then the odd flu.

Grippster, it would seem that you and I are the next step in evolution, its time we started our own forums for the genetically superior, we can call it the Grip board for genetically superior and totally awesome people.

G.B.G.S.T.A.P

sounds like some kind of bio-feedback kind of thing. maybe you are just feeling your Chi or something.

- Aaron

I was going to suggest chi. why not hook up to a blood pressure/hr monitor and then do it and see what changes take place? if it's not doing you any harm, and in the absence of recorded data who's to say, keep doing it.

btw, you don't have some large mekon forehead type action going on do you ? :D

- Aaron

What is Chi anyways? I've heard about it before.

This will sound insane but i can do the same thing, ive never actually done it while exercising but i often do it when ive just hopped into bed, if im tired i find that if i do this that my muscles feel awesome and less fatigued.

It is definitely a current that runs thru the body, i feel it intensely run thru the sinus area and then also shoot down my back into my legs, especially my calves.

I wouldn't worry about it, ive been able to bring on this feeling of a current ever since i was little and have had nothing wrong with me other then the odd flu.

Grippster, it would seem that you and I are the next step in evolution, its time we started our own forums for the genetically superior, we can call it the Grip board for genetically superior and totally awesome people.

G.B.G.S.T.A.P

What's this supposed to do? Usually all of your bodily functions are there for a reason. I can't understand why this is there. The only thing I can think of now is that it has something to do with deinhibition. They teach marines how to use their brains to send more current to the muscle in need, allowing them to jump higher or lift something very heavy. Maybe some people find out how to do it by accident? But the creepy part is, I tried holding it longer last night and I had to stop. It feels like the muscle is going to control my brain, rather than me control it. Do you have that too?

Edited by Grippster

Eastern cultures talk of Chi or Prana. Chi and Prana are different names for the same idea, energy that maintans and enlivens the body. There is no proof for western scientists that it exists, but plenty of people have had personal expericences of its existance. If one learns to control the energy, i am told, one can use it to heal disease and injuries, exert greater physical force or withdraw it and meditate.

Well heck, see if you can channel it into your hands! ;)

I thought about how it would be if I used it for grippers and maybe for arm wrestles, but I'm afraid if I lose control or something it might go to my heart and disrupt the rhythm. I need to see what happens when I hold onto it longer. I think the energy builds more the longer it's held. I should probably try to do an explosive rep on the legpress with weight I KNOW I cannot do. Next time I go to the gym I will have to try that.

Sounds like you are triggering an adrenaline rush. I can do it when getting in the right frame of mind. For me the right loud heavy/hard music allows me to trigger it on command and while lifting. It can really up your strength on max attempts but tends to drain you really quickly and you gotta worry about spending all your energy up in a short quick burst. For that reason you probably want to avoid it other than when you are in a contest/going for a max lift attempt.

I can generate my own rushes too if I have something to think about, but I don't think this is a rush of any kind. I am totally relaxed outside of using my mind. I think if I were to hold it for a long time it would start to trigger adrenaline, however.

I thought about how it would be if I used it for grippers and maybe for arm wrestles, but I'm afraid if I lose control or something it might go to my heart and disrupt the rhythm. I need to see what happens when I hold onto it longer. I think the energy builds more the longer it's held. I should probably try to do an explosive rep on the legpress with weight I KNOW I cannot do. Next time I go to the gym I will have to try that.

Trust me this wont affect your heart in any way, and about the other comment about training marines to channel this thing, that is amazing how did you find that out? If you could dig up any info on how you would train to channel it and use it to go beyond what is normal that would be great.

I find if I hold the feeling as long as I can it becomes overwhelming, do you find that?

If you decide to hold it and your cat's head explodes, I would probably be cautious about it in the future. JK! :D I couldn't resist! I am curious to see how it affects your leg press though. :cool

Trust me this wont affect your heart in any way, and about the other comment about training marines to channel this thing, that is amazing how did you find that out? If you could dig up any info on how you would train to channel it and use it to go beyond what is normal that would be great.

I find if I hold the feeling as long as I can it becomes overwhelming, do you find that?

If you decide to hold it and your cat's head explodes, I would probably be cautious about it in the future. JK! :D I couldn't resist! I am curious to see how it affects your leg press though. :cool

I have yet to see if I can make my actual strength improve, but I know that when I'm really tired from reps doing this thing gives me more energy. So, it's like being tired and then you get these bursts of energy. It's kind of explosive really. I send the "current" and then my muscles just accept it at my will. It's not overwhelming if I use the power, only if I'm idle and I just keep holding it. So yes Raadster, it is overwhelming to hold.