Last Cm On The Coc3

kailogan

hey guys im looking to hear from people who know exactly what it takes to get the last bit of the coc3

progress has all but stopped on the 3, reps with the 2 and 2.5 are improving and negatives with the jbf gripper are improving but the last cm of the 3 refuses to be beatin

what worked for you?

hey guys im looking to hear from people who know exactly what it takes to get the last bit of the coc3

progress has all but stopped on the 3, reps with the 2 and 2.5 are improving and negatives with the jbf gripper are improving but the last cm of the 3 refuses to be beatin

what worked for you?

Getting stronger. :)

what worked for you?

answers from non retards welcome too

what worked for you?

I am not a retard and strange as it may seem getting stronger was what did it! Pure and simple! There is no magic bullet! :laugh

getting stronger isnt a technique its the result im looking for. i shouldnt need to explain this thought we wer grown ups here

nor am i after a "magic bullet" but if youve nothing to add then not sure why you posted? if anyone thinks they can add some intelligent help id really like to hear it

i refuse to believe that i know everything and that i should just keep plugging away with what im doing now!

You could try some BTR work, which will help with the close. :)

You will find though, that gains become less pronounced than they were at the start, they will be there if you train consistently but they will take longer and be less noticable, it just takes time, patience and a willingness not to quit, even when your strength seems less than it was, which WILL happen. ;):)

as in filling my grippers, now we are getting somewhere......what are the finer points of this then?

There will, I suppose, be three ways of training BTR, with a gripper you can dominate, for overcrushes, a maximal gripper you can close and gradually increase the ROM by filing it every so often and a filed gripper you can't close for BTR negatives.

By gradually filing the gripper you are, in effect, microloading while at the same time working beyond the close.

All this said, I have not worked much more than BTR negs. every once in a while and as it has had no major part in my training this is mostly theoretical, rather than empirical. ;):)

what worked for you?

Check out the "coin hold challenge" that I came up with last year. It's in the pinned threads on the gripboard, give it a go and you may find doing these overcrushes helps you get closer to the #3.

What worked for me? Everything. It took me 8 years to close the #3. Christmas it will be 10 years since I touched a gripper. I have been working hard for 6 months to get to the point I can Credit Card Close a hard 3. I am not there yet.

Getting stronger is not a flippant answer, and it is an important part of the equation. For around $100, here are 4 sources of which 75% of everything on the Gripboard spins from:

1. John Brookfield's first book, Mastery of Hand Strength. Received it as a gift for my birthday in 1999.

2. The Gripboard's KTA program. Never done it. Many here have. Not for beginners.

3. IronMind's book, "Captains of Crush Grippers: What They Are, How to Close Them". The chapter written by Joe Kinney is worth the book. I am not sure when it came out, maybe 4 years ago. I got it when it came out.

4. Joe Kinney's DVD. I purchased the VHS in 2001.

The other 25%, you can spend hundreds of hours listening, experimenting, and reading. The Workout section of the Gripboard would be a good place to be looking.

The last centimeter for me took 4 years. My progress is measured in much smaller increments.

For me, when progress stops, I try something new. My latest trick (out of maybe 100 I have tried) was that I purchased a Number 4 for negatives last weekend. I am hoping that is my last card that I will have to play for Certification.

Then again, what do I know? I am 54 years old.

Hubgeezer

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 1

Had my best success on the last bit with chokered BTR Overcrushes 15-20 sec range. Not for the wussy though, about as painful as SW work, possibly more painful.

- Aaron

• Like 1

what worked for you?

lol... that was really friendly... :dry

Edited by adam baghbanbashi

getting stronger isnt a technique its the result im looking for. i shouldnt need to explain this thought we wer grown ups here

nor am i after a "magic bullet" but if youve nothing to add then not sure why you posted? if anyone thinks they can add some intelligent help id really like to hear it

i refuse to believe that i know everything and that i should just keep plugging away with what im doing now!

Yeah coming on here as a newbie and insulting a well known and well respected veteran may not be a good idea for you buddy, not going to get people to like you at all here, just so you know ;)

1. OCs

2. BFNs

3. Negs

4. Penny Holds

5. Train harder

Yeah coming on here as a newbie and insulting a well known and well respected veteran may not be a good idea for you buddy, not going to get people to like you at all here, just so you know ;)

1. OCs

2. BFNs

3. Negs

4. Penny Holds

5. Train harder

he could always use the search facility, non retards would :D

To be fair, an obvious one word answer without elaboration would raise my hackles and, whilst I would have less than charitable thoughts towards the person giving the answer, I wouldn't vent them in the form of a post. 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Remember, not all forums are as civilized as this one so newcomers sometimes get their tone wrong to start with. Now, lets all be friends and play nice. :D

What I found helpful is nailing the three was the following:-

Get your least used grippers (for me an HG 250) and bastardise it with a band saw. Whack as much handle off as you can and then set and crush it making sure you hold it for as long as you can. Do this say 10 times, rest for 3 minutes then hit the 3, seemed to "trick my hands into thinking the groipper needed to be shut further, making the handles meet is suddenly less of an effort.

Also get a hard gripper and clamp it down to parallel and do the last half of the close and hold for as long as possible, got the three quite quickly after trying things like this. I am lucky as Twig has taught me and I seem to have strong hands anyway but keep going and as mentioned above-expect the odd off day.

Best of luck and nice one for getting that far.

I find getting frustrated with them helps.

Fred

First of all, this isn't sherdog. My advice is to take it easy and maybe take a chill pill or two.

Secondly, use the search function.

Last but not least, BTR overcrushes work for most.

Edited by lukeamdman

First of all, this isn't sherdog. My advice is to take it easy and maybe take a chill pill or two.

Secondly, use the search function.

Last but not least, BTR overcrushes work for most.

wow! the evil that is sherdog has even made it's way to these hallow grounds?! hahahaha.

anyway, the guy who said get stronger is right. squats and deadlifts made me stronger. try to close a gripper after a nice day of squats, you feel A LOT stronger.

I reccomend BFN's - Bounce forced negatives - Take your #3 use whatever set, assist with setting hand to shut it, remove setting hand, gripper will spring open a little, hold for a couple of seconds, assisst shut again, remove setting hand and hold...... Repeat as many times as it is comfortable, i only do this repetition once, take a break for 4 mins, then go again, for maybe 1 set of 5.

Ok, first of all: I consider Mike a mate, but even I think his reply was a bit terse.

Secondly: I would probably have given the same answer; the question was:

what worked for you?

Getting stronger is what worked, he didn't ask HOW.

Thirdly a good mix of HEAVY negs and BTR/OC is what worked for me (or to put it another way: a THOROUGH grounding in Grip, followed by a course of KTA)

kailogan: if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'll answer any questions I do know, and will suggest better people than I to answer any I don't know.

whoa! just checked in to see whats happend on this thread lately and my my! well thanks alot for all the great advice collering and filling my grippers might be the way forward however what isnt the way forward is me being less the civil with a curt response. his lack of charm didnt warrent mine. i do apologise to anyone i may have offended, sincerely i didnt mean to come off as rude. now anyone remaning offended isnt someone i want to be friends with anyway. the nice people will realise with time im not a bad person and the grumpy people will stay grumpy...

back to the matter at hand i saw some pic posted on this thread of a collerd crush, they had used a big washer. where does one find an erray of different washers!

fun times cheers guys and sorry once again

I came here to say i dont like when someone post any kind of offense (calling Mike "retard" its totally non-sense Period!)

if Kailogan had the chance to read his previous posts, he would notice HOW smart Mike is.