Coc #1

huntca

This Monday my #1 came in the mail. I am a total newbie to the gripper scene so I had no idea what to expect. I closed it no problem in my right hand. The left I missed by about 1/4 of an inch. Man, this thing is pretty tough. Nothing like any gripper I have ever picked up from a sports store.

That afternoon I immediately went to my mom and stepdads house. He couldn't even come close to closing the thing. "I think my hands are too small!" I replied, "Yea, I'm sure that's it." With a grin. Also, he is no small guy, had an opportunity to play college football. He does all kinds of yard work and the like and is actually a football coach. I kept toying with it the rest of the evening, and finally got it closed Monday night with my left hand.

Tuesday morning I took my new "toy" to my college classes. Very few people could close it with their right hand(5). Only three guys could close it with both hands. The looks on all these guys were priceless. They picked it up expecting it to be like one of those "cheapo" grippers. Nah. Then they would squeeze it a little a couple times. Somebody would say see if you can close it! I seriously thought I was gonna have to pick some eyeballs up off the floor. Everybody wanted to try it and everybody wanted to know where they can get one. (I think I might have started something.)

The one thing that was absolutely hilarious about the whole thing was we have this one guy who lifts weights religiously and is pretty bowed up. He just knew he was gonna close the thing but couldn't get closer than within an inch. Then this tall lanky kid, built like a pencil, gets it and closes it no problem. Priceless.

Also, I have found that I like to go with no set, or one-hand set. Just pick it up, get it comfortable with one hand and squeeze. Seems to work for me better that way. Anybody else have any opinions or suggestions on that?

PS. I can now rep it 20 times with my right and the best is three with my left.

Edited by huntca

Welcome! Time to save your money and buy the coc#2, coc#2.5, and coc#3. Wait till you feel the #3!

Yea. Thanks. My mom was pestering me about a Christmas present so I went to her house and "favorited" the #2, the extensor bands and the coc book. Hopefully she will remember!

My deal is that it peaves me the difference between the strength in my left and right hands. I am right-handed so I pretty much knew that it would be stronger. But, I never expected that much variation. Also, this thing squeaks like crazy when closing it. Is that normal?

Welcome! Time to save your money and buy the coc#2, coc#2.5, and coc#3. Wait till you feel the #3!

Yea. Thanks. My mom was pestering me about a Christmas present so I went to her house and "favorited" the #2, the extensor bands and the coc book. Hopefully she will remember!

My deal is that it peaves me the difference between the strength in my left and right hands. I am right-handed so I pretty much knew that it would be stronger. But, I never expected that much variation. Also, this thing squeaks like crazy when closing it. Is that normal?

yes, it's normal but if you don't like it wd-40 will make it go away, the only thing is, and someone more experienced can correct me here, that it will temporarily make the gripper less harder to close.

yes, it's normal but if you don't like it wd-40 will make it go away, the only thing is, and someone more experienced can correct me here, that it will temporarily make the gripper less harder to close.

I also read that 3 in 1 oil works well.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtop...8688&hl=oil

it will temporarily make the gripper less harder to close.
It won't make it easier per se, but it will mean you're just fighting the gripper, not the gripper+whatever other cr@p has "infected" the spring.

it will temporarily make the gripper less harder to close.
It won't make it easier per se, but it will mean you're just fighting the gripper, not the gripper+whatever other cr@p has "infected" the spring.

Exactly, oil your grippers!! It's good for them, that way rust, chalk, dirt, etc won't build up and you'll be fighting the gripper plus that as twig said here.

It's normal to have pretty drastic variation in your hand strength because: 1. The spring is wound so that it's more comfortable in your right hand 2. Differences in hand strength 3. Differences in coordination of your hands.

what was that thread about the different rgc calibrations with an oiled and non oiled gripper? i thought it makes it somewhat weaker since the rgc numbers were lower when oiled?

and motor oil lasts longer.

what was that thread about the different rgc calibrations with an oiled and non oiled gripper? i thought it makes it somewhat weaker since the rgc numbers were lower when oiled?

Exactly, it does because you are no longer fighting against the rust among other things that had probably built and built on those grippers for quite a while. It makes the gripper how it is supposed to be, not really easier per se.

Another thing you'll run into is the handles getting clogged up w/ dirt, oil and grime from your hands, especially when you let everyone else try it out. I routinely clean my handles w/ a tooth brush (preferably not the one you brush your teeth with) and some Lava (or any oil desinigrating) soap. It brings back the knurling which drastically reduces slippage. Chalk works wonders too when it's time for the big grippers.

1. Yes, they are addictive

2. If your friends eyeballs went south at the 1, then I think jaw may follow at the 3

3. Get the 2 and 3

4. Welcome! And have fun

I brought a 250 in for this guy who's about twice my weight. He figured he would double my reps on it and couldn't even close it. The look on his face when I held it shut with 3 fingers.... priceless.

keep training bro I personally am almost there on the 2 and its a huge difference.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I do believe I have found a new "habit" Also, I am in the process of getting a new house. The house has a perfect room to convert into a "gym". I will finally have somewhere to put my soon-to-be collection of grip toys. It's pretty sad to say, but, that is one of the main reasons I am psyched about the possibility of the new house.

Good to see someone else is hooked. I love kocking big boasters down a peg or two with a gripper I can do 30 reps on, smug is not the word.

I expect you'll feel futility, frustration and weakness the first time you go near a #3 but with time, practise and determination you will get it eventually.

Fred