Awesome wrist workout

ruffhans

Awhile ago while shoping at wallmart, i bought a 40lb fixed wieght dumbell that they had in there fittness section. i bought it with the intentoins of taking it home to saw the handle off for some block wights. i didnt have acsess to york dumbells, and i didnt see why this wouldnt work. i did end up sawing one end off giving me one 20lb block wieght. instead of sawing the other part off of the handle i left it on. so now i had what could be described as a 20lb hammer with a 5 inch long handle.  it sat around for about 4 weeks until i wanted to do something with it. i took ducktape and taped the handle bringing it from a one inch width, to a good 2 inch width. i then lifted it and soon found out how much of a wrist builder this could be. i picked it up and held it at my side like you would in a lever lift, and performed hammer curls. when i was done my wrists where TAXT!!!!!  i have never had them that tired before. i performed 4 sets in each hand. although it wasnt long like a sledge hammer it was heavy, and the 2 inch handle made it harder.   i know this is no new excersise, but i thought i would share it. :D

Did you get a 60lb hex dumbell yet?  The extra 10lbs and increased dimensions really add to the block wt exercises.

I never thought about leaving the handle on one of the blocks.  

Jon@han

Guest CalvinP

Ruffhans

I hate to take the wind out of your sail, but I have posted twice about using dumbbell as leverage bar before (last 2 weeks, in the wrist work out post I think)). I also use it to do twisting curls like curl with your palm down and the load/weight inside then twist it as you curl up. Other one is palm up with weight outside. This hurt a lot especially your outter forearms. One more wrist work is with your forearm straigth up, upper arm parallel to the floor, load now toward the rear then just bring the weight up. I am actually writing my new journal about this kind of exercises that I hope I can turn into a fitness book someday. There are more you can do with this, which I called it Imbalance Load exercise in my writing. Bruce lee did this a lot by the way.

But I bought the kind of dumbbell that you can change the weight, not the fixed one. Some moves you can load high some you can't because of the leverage. Bare metal hurts your hand but I think it's good for your later if you want to bend metal or think about leveraging 16 lbs sledge hammer. However it's good to know someone else enjoy this like I do. My goal next goal 50 lbs twisting curl on bare metal. Smaller bar hurt more because the smaller contact surface

Interesting note: I went to an arm wrestling work out last Thursday, Gary the Champ! has these fat handle changeable dumbbells, one is 2.1/2" one is 1/1/2 and he is not using it like we do. So next time I come over I 'll use it extentsively for my forearm work. Gary is World classed in arm wrestling but he can't close #2 COC , his supporting grip is phenomenal with very thick hands. I have invited him to this board, don't know if he will come. Coming home from the arm work out somehow all of my sorenesses from twisting curls have gone away, this morning I woke up with new arm -wrestling sore but much more bearable and I LOVE IT..Too little time...too many fat women...uh..ah... fat handle exercises. Sorry about that guys.  :D

Ruffhans,  I was waiting to saw the other end off my 40 and 50 hex's, but never got around to it.  Then I read about indian club work, and picked up the half-dumbbells and tried the movements too.  You're right, it's a great feeling, especially the leverage work.  The torque of a 10lb sledge with a 30" handle is nothing like the torque from a 25lb weight with a 5" handle.  

Good idea about the 2" handle.  When I get home tonight, I'll make a PVC extention for my other half of the 40lb weight.  I can't wait.

On a side note:

I finally made the 100lb and 150lb sand bags as mentioned in Dinosaur Training.  Absolutly an Unbelieveable work out!  Recomended to any strength athlete.  I havn't felt this sore since my first day of football practice.  If anybody has even thought of it, or even understands why it's so hard, go out and make one today!  It cost me a total of 15 dollars, total.