Strength Vs Rest

timiacobucci

I had a strange experience recently. I have focused on bending for a while now but had to stop DO bending and have even been taking it real easy on the other unbraced styles as well.

I trained grippers much less and always sort of sucked at them, I worked up to closing the 2 half of the time with either hand, pretty inconsistent really. But I haven't been training this either really at all either since I was resting from bending.

Now my bending is terrible, I feel I have to work my way back all over again BUT I just tried my grippers again and crushed the 2 like it was a 1 with both hands and got the 3 well past parallel. I could also nearly hold it shut with an assistance close, like 1-2 mm maybe. I could barely hold the 3 to parallel before.

What is going on here? I rest for a while and my bending power is gone but my gripper strength is much stronger than ever.

This stuff is wierd like that. Getting stronger is about getting appropriate rest as much as it is training properly, if not more. I notice that when I purposely overtrain and then take as much time as I feel is needed off, even more most of the time, that I come back MUCH stronger. Me and shoes are a perfect example. I went full bore with them months ago and bent the Regular Rim and Lite 3 and those were my best bends until after GGC when I hearted a Lite 2 rim, then BBB4 where I bent a Reg 2 rim in seconds and just recently with the KH 3 SSP shoe. Those are the only 3 shoes I've bent in months and yet, with no real core work, not so much as one deadlift, I've gotten much stronger. Could this be why guys like Eaton are so flipping strong? Because he picks something up and waits? At least to some degree I think it is. Better to get too much rest than not enough.

Well what I'm saying is that the rest seems to have had the opposite effect on my bending strength as my gripper strength. How can you get stronger from resting in one area and loose it in another?

I have no complaints about getting stronger on the grippers, but personally I would much rather have the bending strength.

Well what I'm saying is that the rest seems to have had the opposite effect on my bending strength as my gripper strength. How can you get stronger from resting in one area and loose it in another?

I have no complaints about getting stronger on the grippers, but personally I would much rather have the bending strength.

Ount even know.

How can you get stronger from resting in one area and loose it in another?
Gripping (crush) is a very specific movement, bending is a very compound movement. Because you're resting one, that doesn't mean you're resting the other.

My guess, with guess, being the key word is all that bending leaves your wrists perpetually fatigued. If your wrist isn't fully recovered it's hard to crush because of the instability. You may have just started crushing with recovered wrists and saw noticeable results. Whenever my wrists are sore/fatigued my crush drops noticeably.