Phonebook Tearing

kailogan

i live in england and the yellowpages here is abit of a beast to tear but recently they have dropped the size from 1600 to 1450 and this got me thinking.....so i got a 1600 and a 1400 and took one and buffed out the other up to 2000 pages. tore that then iv made a 2400 page one! now this things like a red house brick and im wondering has anyone ever torn something like this?

dont imagine anyone with as much time on their hands doing something as ridiculous as this but just wonderd a) whats the biggest phonebook out there?

b) whats the largest ever torn?

cheers guys

I believe the general New York City book is larger than that, and has been torn. Most of the more impressive tears Ive seen involved covering a book with duct tape, or quartering a book. At some point I'm not sure that the size itself is the most important factor.

I believe the general New York City book is larger than that, and has been torn. Most of the more impressive tears Ive seen involved covering a book with duct tape, or quartering a book. At some point I'm not sure that the size itself is the most important factor.

definately is important! this 2400 one is nearly 4inches thick. gripping it is ridiculous!

and the duct tape tears lean more towards body strength not hand strength. as the tear itself isnt the hard part its holding the pages together

how many pages does the new york one have then!!!

how does one quater a phonebook then? horizontal then vertical i presume?

how does one quater a phonebook then? horizontal then vertical i presume?

That would be the easiest way. If you do it vertically first, the non-binding half becomes a challenge just to hold it together and tear straight through it. Or you could do a vertical tear, then do each half as a vertical tear also. Still quartered.

If you rip it through the binding you are a joke. I have ripped 2400 a lot of times (3 layers of duct tape on 3 different places, quartered, 2 fingers). There are a lot of different New York books out there. I have also ripped 3 600 page books together. The only reason I haven't ripped more is because I haven't had any that are bigger. The Manhattan book is just over 2200 I think. The biggest book ever done was over 4" thick.

If you rip it through the binding you are a joke. I have ripped 2400 a lot of times (3 layers of duct tape on 3 different places, quartered, 2 fingers). There are a lot of different New York books out there. I have also ripped 3 600 page books together. The only reason I haven't ripped more is because I haven't had any that are bigger. The Manhattan book is just over 2200 I think. The biggest book ever done was over 4" thick.

Whoa there man. Nobody was even considering "cheating". Just discussing how to quarter a book.

I find that if you tear it horizontally then vertically, like was stated above, it makes it a ton easier. The binding holds the pages in line so that you can get a nice tight crease to start your rip(or pop, like I do with big books!). ;)

Edited by Foxman

The Pasadena phone book is tricky as it is only about 7" wide but fairly thick. The narrowness of it makes a big difference for me, more so than if it were a lot thicker at 8.5"x11".

The Pasadena phone book is tricky as it is only about 7" wide but fairly thick. The narrowness of it makes a big difference for me, more so than if it were a lot thicker at 8.5"x11".

Haha! That reminds me of the time I was showing off for some family and they handed me a really thick, super narrow book! :blink I managed to kill it, but it sure wasn't pretty or easy. :D

so 2200 is the biggest? get in!!!! il post if i can manage the 2400 that iv made! get guiness on the phone! woop

The Manhattan Borough book may be 2200 pages, but there are a number of NYC phone books that cover a more general area. We had some at my last job for business use and they had to be bigger than that. In any case, there are some ridiculous tears out there. You'd probably have to tear it in 8ths with thumb and forefinger only before you call Guinness :laugh