Which Nail Next?

andyfreeland

Ok, I can smash 60Ds in 5 seconds or so now. I cut one down to 4" and got it to 45 degrees pretty quickly. I looked at some steel ratings and if i'm not mistaken a 60D rates around 300 and a ironmind red rates 380ish. If thoes numbers are correct, should I get some reds?

I wouldn't say no to trying a red nail, but here are two things to consider:

1) Calibration ratings are only useful when comparing stock of the same length. 300 lbs@7" is harder than 300 lbs@6"

2) Modern 7" reds calibrate @ 450 lbs.

I would try Grade 8 bolts or 1/4" square stock first.

1) Calibration ratings are only useful when comparing stock of the same length. 300 lbs@7" is harder than 300 lbs@6"

Ok perfect, where can I buy 1/4" square? And also, I have noticed a lot of people using double wraps. I am using 4x10 suede, do I just double up with the same material?

Ok perfect, where can I buy 1/4" square? And also, I have noticed a lot of people using double wraps. I am using 4x10 suede, do I just double up with the same material?

Oh...and where would you guess the 4" 60D to rate?

Thanks!

Several things.

#1 60d nails vary alot. I've had them calibrate as low as 210 lbs and as high as 330 lbs and on up for some real freaks.

Some things to try next are 1/4 inch hex stock, 1/4 inch O-1 drill rod, 1/4 inch stainless or if you've been bending pretty stout 60ds then I'd get some 1/4 inch by 6 inch G5 hex bolts. Any of these except the drill rod you can get from John at FBBC, or most home improvement stores. G5s can vary too but they're more consistant than 60d nails. I'd guess that 1/4 inch square may be too much of a jump for you but you never know.

The red would be a real eye opener. I like the bastards better because Beatty grinds the edges down much better and really pays good attention to bender's requests.

Best of luck!

Tim

Thanks!

Yep, just stack another wrap on top of your other one, chalk em', wrap em' TIGHT with about 3/4'' of the bar in the wraps, and prepare to be amazed. Those 60ds will feel like twist ties.

Several things.

#1 60d nails vary alot. I've had them calibrate as low as 210 lbs and as high as 330 lbs and on up for some real freaks.

Some things to try next are 1/4 inch hex stock, 1/4 inch O-1 drill rod, 1/4 inch stainless or if you've been bending pretty stout 60ds then I'd get some 1/4 inch by 6 inch G5 hex bolts. Any of these except the drill rod you can get from John at FBBC, or most home improvement stores. G5s can vary too but they're more consistant than 60d nails. I'd guess that 1/4 inch square may be too much of a jump for you but you never know.

The red would be a real eye opener. I like the bastards better because Beatty grinds the edges down much better and really pays good attention to bender's requests.

Best of luck!

Tim

Thanks Tim, you have a point there...Beatty is a supporter of this site..where I get all of my info. Think I'll send him some business. :D

Thanks!

Yep, just stack another wrap on top of your other one, chalk em', wrap em' TIGHT with about 3/4'' of the bar in the wraps, and prepare to be amazed. Those 60ds will feel like twist ties.

Fox..I have been going about 1 1/2" deep...thanks for the correction

I liked some stout 1/4 hex @ 7" and Grd 5 bolts :D