Heaviest York Blob?

1stCoC

I dug the last of my Blobs out of storage the other day and came up with a non marked ( no USA) first generation York Blob that was actually for the short period they were produced actually painted blue AND an Old "fatman" Blob weighing in at 53.5. Any heavier out there or any more "Blues"?????????????????????????RS

Richard,

I been looking for a "Fat Man" a long time but didn't find any, looked at yard sales, farm markets, Playit Again stores. My next move is to look in YMCAs from my home town to York, Pa. I'll give you a call if I find any. :rock

We have another play toy at the gym?!! Rock on!! Christmas coming early again this year!! The blob saga continues.....

Edited by House

• 2 months later...

I just got a York side blob today that weighs 53.6lb on my bathroom scale. The person I bought it from says it weighed 53lb 9oz on a postal scale. It doesn't have any markings on the bottom. How do you tell the difference between a regular blob and a fatman, this is the only original blob I have so I don't have anything else to go by.

Thanks

if its 53 id say its gotta be a fat man York blob

It sounds like a fatman. There is USA on the bottom of the more recent Blobs cast before they(York solid dumbbels) were discontinued. The heaviest I have now is a 53lb 13.5 oz. Remember the later, thicker handles of the blobs can be measured at the point they were cut . The old fatman blobs had a 1 and 1/10" handle thickness and the later ones had an 1 and 1/5" even though that seems like a little bit if you see the the difference in the stub or handle size it is quite a different look and fairly easy to tell. I suspect and have said before since the later handles were made thicker(less likely to bend) and had a forged tail at each end to "lock" them into the casting. York might have allowed for this added weight (steel is heavier than cast iron) AND to look a "bit" more modern they adjusted the later molds to be less fat sided to allow for the change. RS

Thanks for the reply Richard. I will measure the next time I go to the garage. Would the stub on a 90 or 95 pound blob be 1 1/5" also? I will measure my other blobs and see how they compare to this one.

the bottom. How do you tell the difference between a regular blob and a fatman, this is the only original blob I have so I don't have anything else to go by.

Thanks

Here is an article I put together on the blob variations, in addition to the excellent information Richard just pointed out.

http://www.straighttothebar.com/2008/07/th...s_of_blobs.html

• 4 weeks later...

Just scored a original York fatman Blob that weighs 54.1 on a digital scale.

Wow, great find Brendan! Is the other half available? I'd love to have one like that. Edited by odin

Is that the one from Wes? Or a great find somewhere else?

Good find! Just wondering if the scale was a certified postal type scale. It would be worth a trip to the post office to know for sure it is the heaviest found to date!RS

Wow, great find Brendan! Is the other half available? I'd love to have one like that.

Sorry Bob I dont belive it is.

Is that the one from Wes? Or a great find somewhere else?

No not from Wes Derek it was unbelivable luck a super find!!!

Good find! Just wondering if the scale was a certified postal type scale. It would be worth a trip to the post office to know for sure it is the heaviest found to date!RS

The scale is not certified Richard I will go to the post office on Saturday and report back in this thread.As far as I know the scale I used is pretty accurate but it will be interesting to compare the post office one against mine.

The official weight today at the post office 53lbs 15 3/4 onces

That would make it the heaviest one to date, correct?

Either way I wanna see some air time with it :)

Richard told me it is the heaviest he has heard of.

I will lift it currently though it is not even close I have a York USA stamped blob that weighs 50.9 lbs and I lift it all the time.This Fatty blob is all together a different animal the difference in the feats is astounding.

I will lift it currently though it is not even close I have a York USA stamped blob that weighs 50.9 lbs and I lift it all the time.This Fatty blob is all together a different animal the difference in the feats is astounding.

Brendan

At the end of the day its just another hunk of steel if you can lift your blob with 7.5-10lbs added or with 2 fingers for multiple reps i bet it would go nothing magical bout these fatman blobs really just get the mindset right and the rest will follow your already strong enough.

Brendan

At the end of the day its just another hunk of steel if you can lift your blob with 7.5-10lbs added or with 2 fingers for multiple reps i bet it would go nothing magical bout these fatman blobs really just get the mindset right and the rest will follow your already strong enough.

Gazza is right. I'll tell you this much. Lift a Legacy blob with your thumb on the rounded side, and you'll be able to smoke a cigarette while holding any O-blob.

-Rex

The first blob I ever lifted was a "fatman" blob that 3Crusher had that Richard has now that was one of the heviest he had, heavier than the original that he had at NOS. I trained to lift it by using a 50lb hex block, not that big of a deal.

Here's the thread: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtop...9&hl=1stCOC

The first blob I ever lifted was a "fatman" blob that 3Crusher had that Richard has now that was one of the heviest he had, heavier than the original that he had at NOS. I trained to lift it by using a 50lb hex block, not that big of a deal.

Here's the thread: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtop...9&hl=1stCOC

Very Impressive Heath and thank for the link to that thread!!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan

Thank you Gaz I will train till I get it!

Brendan

Gazza is right. I'll tell you this much. Lift a Legacy blob with your thumb on the rounded side, and you'll be able to smoke a cigarette while holding any O-blob.

-Rex

Thanks Rex I have never met a legacy blob in person but I will soon my friend in CT has a 50 lber I will give it a whirl.

Took my fatman to the post office today. It weighed 53lbs 10.5 onces.

• 4 months later...

Just took mine to the post office. The 100 side weighed in at 52 lb 15.40 oz and the york side weighs 53 lb 2.80 oz. Mine are a gold color. Does anyone know if they ever came this color or if someone just painted at some point? Thanks for any input.

Just took mine to the post office. The 100 side weighed in at 52 lb 15.40 oz and the york side weighs 53 lb 2.80 oz. Mine are a gold color. Does anyone know if they ever came this color or if someone just painted at some point? Thanks for any input.

Good question!! The only Blobs or York solid dumbbells I have ever come across are black and for a short time a crackle metalic blue. Wade thought I sent him a ringer with slippery paint on his( a "Blue") instead or a relatively rare York piece. I think he repainted his.RS