Scottish Throwing Hammer

Guest Odhibjorn

Guest Odhibjorn

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any sites where you could purchase one of these or if anyone on the board knew of how to make one. My stepfather owns some land (an island) out of town that we have a cabin built, a garden and a nice big cleared field. I'd like to make or buy my own hammer to throw around over there this summer for some strength work. I'd prefer a solid shaft hammer to practice with so if anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if you would consider this a "grip" training tool but I know that grip is a major factor in being able to throw the thing so I figured this part of the board was the best place to make my post. I've searched google for places to buy or make one and have come up with nothing.

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me guys :rock

It's pretty common to use standard plates on electrical conduit. depending on the plates you might have to grind them out a bit. they should be as snug as possible. Or, you could order one from:

Old Celt

Acient athletics

Mjolnior hammer

ryan pitts at stronger grip

I don't know any Canadian companies, that might be a bit of an issue.

the electrical conduit for the handle is pretty standard. rattaan is pretty pricey.

goodluck.

Edited by barbe705

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any sites where you could purchase one of these or if anyone on the board knew of how to make one. My stepfather owns some land (an island) out of town that we have a cabin built, a garden and a nice big cleared field. I'd like to make or buy my own hammer to throw around over there this summer for some strength work. I'd prefer a solid shaft hammer to practice with so if anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if you would consider this a "grip" training tool but I know that grip is a major factor in being able to throw the thing so I figured this part of the board was the best place to make my post. I've searched google for places to buy or make one and have come up with nothing.

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me guys :rock

Here is the old celt's link http://www.nasgaweb.com/ads/oldcelt/

or give strongergrip.com a try, Ryan can make just about anything

Guest Odhibjorn

So you think that about 6 or 7 standard 2.5lb plates would work well enough with a bit of electrical conduit? I was wondering if that maybe filling a small mini rubber basketball shell you can pick up or $5 at any wal-mart with quick dry concrete would work for the weight. Then choosing whatever I was going to use as the shaft with a few long bolts in the bottom, placed into the concrete and leaving it to dry would work to hold it into place. Then I thought, what if the shaft breaks or the thing cracks after it's been thrown a few times? Anyone ever tried anything like that? I'm not training for any real competitions, just for my own strength and health so I'm not too worried about exact handle size or weight of the thing. I figured PVC pipe would be the best thing for the handle.

There is no rush on this since it's far too cold up here now to do anything outside right now but I would like to get some ideas in my head to see what I could do. Thanks for the posts barbe705 and Joey, I'm already at the Old Celt website browsing. The prices arn't that bad considering these things would last me a lifetime and I assume the handles can easily be changed if broken, it'd be nice if they had some images up though. I'm going to e-mail old celt and get a quote on what shipping would look like while I keep ideas rolling around in my head about making my own in the meantime.

Guest Odhibjorn

No prob man, glad I found the link myself. I wasn't sure if 1" pvc would be strong enough but I guess it is. This will do me until I can afford to get the real thing with shipping... I might even skip waiting till next year, dress up warmer and go out to throw a few around next weekend after I get my pvc pipe. I will use some old steel barbell collars instead of duct tape for the loading end though, so I can change the weight and add more over time and whenever I want. Ah, I can't wait until next weekend.

Schedule 40 PVC will break very easily - schedule 80 or electrical conduit is much better. 3/4" is the size - it gives a 1.05" OD and fits standard weight plates - be sure and round the sharp edges on the plates or it will snap the pipe quickly. Duct tape it all solid and you have a HG hammer to throw. It all depends on how it lands anyway - sometimes you get one throw and the darn thing breaks and others - it goes for quite a few sessions before it breaks. Make up several handles and take them with you - they are easy to replace in the field if they are wedged and ready to go.

In extreme cold you will find the PVC will break easily compared to when the weather is warm.

A pert of the reason people use electrical conduit is that the handles will break. some times sooner, some times later. I had a stretch this last summer where I broke a handle each practice. Then I went 3 months without a break.

when you buy the conduit you need to trim it down. only one end is flared. Save the other piece though. you can heat it, slide it over a rake or broom handle. and then cool it. do this outside(fumes). It will take practice but, it cuts the cost of handles in half.

I don't worry about the flare issue at all. I split the end a couple inches with a hacksaw - then I make a taper on a broomstick or wooden dowel rod - a belt sander does it in seconds. I put a little Gorilla glue on the dowel, drive it into the split end and stick it up through the weights - bounce it on the floor a couple times to seat it - works fine and means you can forget the flare completely. This way you can reuse some of the broken ones if they break close enough to the ends. It only takes a couple minutes to make 3 or 4 handles this way.

I'll have to keep this in mind for next season.

I don't worry about the flare issue at all. I split the end a couple inches with a hacksaw - then I make a taper on a broomstick or wooden dowel rod - a belt sander does it in seconds. I put a little Gorilla glue on the dowel, drive it into the split end and stick it up through the weights - bounce it on the floor a couple times to seat it - works fine and means you can forget the flare completely. This way you can reuse some of the broken ones if they break close enough to the ends. It only takes a couple minutes to make 3 or 4 handles this way.

Guest Odhibjorn

Thanks for all the posts and info guys, especially you climber (don't know your name), I really appreciate it. One of you guys should make a video for youtube on how to make your own hammer and post it, I'd bet my last dollar a lot of folks would find it useful.

I e-mailed Old Celt and Ryan at Strongergrip for shipping price quotes on their 16lb hammers. I think I should start training with the sixteen pounder then move up to the twenty two pounder, for now I can use plates for the 22lb hammer then buy one once I can get some good tosses with my plates and pvc pipe.

Edited by Odhibjorn

I built one by beating the end of a 1 1/8" piece of schedule 40 flat with a hammer, then drilled through it, then tapped & threaded a 20lb shot (basically a 20lb "Bomb"). Big eye bolt (1/2") in the shot, threaded "c" clamp on the handle to connect, instant hammer for about $45-55. No handle breakage concerns, either.

Edited by John Beatty

Guest Odhibjorn

Well today while out of town for a chiropractors appointment I picked up some pipe, two 10foot lengths of sched 80 pvc pipe and have cut it in half already, will do the specific cutting later. My 5lb plates fit it perfectly so looks like I'll be able to throw the hammer around on the family island this summer.

• 4 weeks later...

Dumb question for the experienced guys on here. Why not use 3/4" steel pipe for the handle? Is it just a weight distribution issue, or is it a flexibility issue?

when you use a rattan handle it has flex to it. the conduit gives almost the same feel. If the steel was used it would add a good bit of weight as well. the conduit is pretty light.

brent

I have one with a solid 1" steel handle - weighs 30# - I use it to build strength early in the off season as it messes up your timing - sure does work the "core" - whatever that is :blush

I have one with a solid 1" steel handle - weighs 30# - I use it to build strength early in the off season as it messes up your timing - sure does work the "core" - whatever that is :blush

some people drop plates down the handle to work the core. I think I got up to a 42 pound hammer. I couldn't even get a single wind with a 47.