Adapting to thick bar work

Jonathan McMillan

Man as I stated before I find thick bar work quite insidious on my recovery for grip strength.  I've done two workouts with it (no heavy deads yet just cleans/hi pulls) and I don't feel any immeadiate taxation on my grip.  However, when I finish my barbell exercises and switch to my grip specific training, I find my grip is torched very quickly.

Also I've previously posted that I do plate curls, but after reading some back posts I think I should clarify my form.  I start them as I would a dumbell with the flat of the plate facing my leg.  Then as I lift it, I rotate it to the proper form.  Needless to say when I tried it as others described the 35lb plate eluded me.  Still I think my training style has some validity as it maybe a stepping stone inbetween wts.  Ie.  I'll be able to plate curl in this manner a 45lb plate way before I ever get there in the stricter style.

Jon@han

I experienced the same thing.  When I just trained w/the grippers I made excellent gains.  When I started using a thick bar in my full body routine the gripper gains slowed.  Heavy thick bar work really taxes the hands.  I've had to back off on a lot of the other grip work I was doing.

Whew, I thought it was just me  ;)

I really like the thick bar work so maybe I'll have to settle with slow gains in my other exercises if/until I adapt to the thick bar work.

Jon@han

Guest rockblaster

What I have found with thick bar work is that the gripper work is sacrificed but I would prefer to build overall functional strength.  I don't work with the grippers much (too boring)--just when I really feel like it.  I will say that thick bar work will help enhance your strength with the grippers--not to mention it works the thumb, the wrists, forearms, etc.  The more exercises you do with the thick bar, the better.

Thanx,

The only barbell exercises I didn't do with the thick bar this week were back squats.  Man my Oly bar felt like a kid's toy after the thick bar work!

Jon@han

Gees! that's some weight one handed with a thick handle!!

I can't believe how whimpy a normal bar feels just after the little work I've done with a thick bar and mine isn't all that, being only 2 inch diameter.

Jon@han

Jonathan,

Do some thick bar work one day, and the grippers a couple days after that.  And do some DL's with your thick bar!!  Don't forget to warm-up with some thick bar barbell bent rows for your back.  Then pull some serious weight with that TB!!

Well I tried some deadlifts with the bar with the overhand grip yesterday.  Only manged to pull 255lbs and held it for 10 seconds.  Pretty humbling when guys on this board are pulling more with one hand with a revolving handle!!!!!

Jon@han

I set my db up so that the sleeve doesn't rotate. On a 1.5 inch thick barbell I have done a partial deadlift with 1080 but thats a lot less than others have done on a standard thickness bar for the same range.

Jonathan,

So what?  Today you are doing 255, but soon you'll be doing 300, 350, 400... and more!  Don't get discouraged.  Just think of it as work in progress.  Everyone has to start somewhere.  Just keep positive and lift as heavy as you can; you body will adapt and get stronger.  I just say, do a warm-up (barbell bent over rows) on your back BEFORE doing the DL's - nothing serious, just something to get your back prepped and ready to lift the weight.  And PULL like your life depended on it!!  Good Luck!  :D

Hey SS,

I haven't tried bentover rows yet with the thick bar..should be fun.  Although I don't thick I'll need to do them before my deads as I usally start my routine with some bastard form of the Olympic lifts  :D

Thanks for the support (a more embarrassing point is the most I've ever lifted with a regular bar with an overhand grip is 315)

Jon@han

Jonathan, another good one totry is the power upright row with the thickbar.Pull from the floor with a narrow grip and pull to chin height hold the position for a second and then lower and start again.Use low reps (say three) and build up weight to max.

This has a good carry over for strongman too (power stairs, etc).

Best of luck

Chris

Thanks for the tip!  Might be a good one to throw in for variety.  I usually do either a powerclean or highpull or powersnatch with a clean grip for my pulling exercises.  I think the speed lifts work well with grip training since you have to fight from releasing it from the momentum as well as the weight.  Looking back at how I trained my pinch plates I used alot of movement to add work to the exercise.  Ie. rowing motions while pinching the plates instead of a straight time hold.

Jon@han