Armwrestling In Australia

Jeff T

Hi guys,

Thought I'd just put up a post to see if anyone knows of any armwrestling in Sydney. I can't find anything searching around the net or this board, figured I'd just try my luck and see if there's anybody lurking around here.

I did meet a guy a while back who ran some comps, but he's dropped off the radar and I can't find a way of contacting him.

I'm not particularly good at armwrestling, but it's always interested me and I'm keen to get involved.

So if anybody's got some information or advice I'd love to hear it.

Cheers,

Jeff

Im in Melbourne and as far as I know there is no AW comps being held in australia at the mo and I am not aware of any training clubs either, very unfortunate :(

Hi Jeff - I'm from Sydney and I've done the same as you - there was something going on Sydney uni but that doesn't seem to exist any more. I regularly lurk on this AW forum because I find it very interesting reading stuff about the top guys, training, thoughts etc.

I really enjoy AW as well and would definitely get into it if there was an AW scene in Sydney. There was a comp about 15 years back that I entered - it was in a pub in the middle of the city - but they used one of those machines with the handles each competitor held. Problem was you could sort of lock or brace your arm between the handle and the table - this became quickly obvious to everyone so no one won or lost.

Anyway - it's great that we have another Captain of Crush in Australia - I thought the only one was 'Timmy' (Sam Scott). Maybe if we eventually get a few more grip guys from Sydney coming out of the woodwork we can organise some sort of regular grip comps - or grip + AW.

Seems things are firing up in Melbourne (re grip comps) which is great - just a bit too far away for us though :( Check out aussiestrength.com for a possible National Grip comp in Melbourne next year.

Cheers for the reply.

I'm sure there's plenty of guys around who can/have closed a #3. One of my mates is certified as well, although he hasn't touched a gripper for about about 5 years (or even a barbell for that matter).

Yeah I think it was Richard Aplin who was running the Sydney uni club, and ran a comp on the footy show in ~2002. I remember he brought an AW table to a grip day that year but I was too shy/weak at the time to have a go. I haven't been able to contact him, though.

I'm sure there's probably enough guys around who are interested, just there's not enough people who are specifically interested in only training for armwrestling. I.e. I don't know that there would be enough regulars to get a club going.

Oh well, at least the strongman scene seems to be very slowly growing.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks a lot, just sent him an email then.

Please share the results of the email...:)

• 2 weeks later...

Aussie AW'ers - I just remembered I saw this a while back -

http://www.kingaroypeanutfestival.com.au/

http://www.kingaroypeanutfestival.com.au/p...etothegames.pdf

(scroll down a bit for details on the AW comp.)

I did a bit of searching and there was no indication of any results but apparently it is 'refereed by Armwrestling Australia' whatever that means...

If it is on next year I might look into it - I'll keep an eye out from time to time.

(the festival also had Strongman stuff - farmers etc as well)