New To Bending

andyfreeland

Ok i'm ready to get into the bending game, i'm tired of watching this chump Gazza bending clothes hangers and acting like he is strong (kidding Gazza, please don't hurt me, I'm sure you can will my bones to snap all the way across the ocean :blink )

Question: I'm going to home depot tommorow, what bolts should I buy for starters and also how do I make wraps?

Thanks in advance :D

You can get wraps at FBBC(Fat Bastard Barbell Co, link at top of page), or if you have a Jo Ann Fabric or Michael's craft store near you, you can get em' there too. Look for the "suede trim piece" made by Tandy. It's 8.5x12'' and you just cut it in half lengthwise to make one set of wraps. Pick up a couple.

As far as bolts, start with Grade 2 1/4'' x 6'' bolts. If it were me, I would pick up a 5 lb. box of 60d timber ties. These will be galvanized and spiraled. Bend the whole box DO, DU, and Rev. By the time you're done, your hands and wrists will be stronger and conditioned enough to really start going after max effort attempts without feeling like you wrecked your hands every week. If that stuff is too easy, check out the "calibrated fat bastard stock" sticky at the top of the forum, and figure your next step from there. If you got the green, you would be greatly served by getting FBBC's beginner's bending bag. That way, your bends could be compared to others on here, and the guys will know the strength of the stock you are using, and will be able to give you better advice.

Oh, and Gazza heard your little joke....you'll look like a pretzel by morning. Good luck salty.

Edited by Foxman

You can get wraps at FBBC(Fat Bastard Barbell Co, link at top of page), or if you have a Jo Ann Fabric or Michael's craft store near you, you can get em' there too. Look for the "suede trim piece" made by Tandy. It's 8.5x12'' and you just cut it in half lengthwise to make one set of wraps. Pick up a couple.

As far as bolts, start with Grade 2 1/4'' x 6'' bolts. If it were me, I would pick up a 5 lb. box of 60d timber ties. These will be galvanized and spiraled. Bend the whole box DO, DU, and Rev. By the time you're done, your hands and wrists will be stronger and conditioned enough to really start going after max effort attempts without feeling like you wrecked your hands every week. If that stuff is too easy, check out the "calibrated fat bastard stock" sticky at the top of the forum, and figure your next step from there.

Oh, and Gazza heard your little joke....you'll look like a pretzel my morning. Good luck salty.

Thank you sir! Exactly what I was looking for. :cool

Oh, and Gazza heard your little joke....you'll look like a pretzel by morning. Good luck salty.

Wouldn't you know it...I woke up this morning in the shape of a pretzel...and I didn't even have any mustard :angry: . It's all good though..I needed to work on my flexibility :D

Newb question: What is DU and DO?

DU = Double Underhand

DO = Double Overhand

Jeremiah covered pretty much everything I could think of. I'd also recommend a pair of sturdy bolt cutters for when you decide to start cutting your own stock down.

DU = Double Underhand

DO = Double Overhand

Jeremiah covered pretty much everything I could think of. I'd also recommend a pair of sturdy bolt cutters for when you decide to start cutting your own stock down.

Sweet! Thanks

Great advice Foxman, picked up 100 60Ds as suggested. PERFECT for starters. Also got the 8x10" suede from Michael's and cut in half. Got a couple of successful bends and only cried like twice :D Now I know what all the fuss is about...if my hands weren't f'n fried I would still be out in the garage bending more, what an addiction. Here is a pick of the finished product:

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s187/an...nt=DSC01456.jpg

Couldn't figuer out how to upload images to my profile on gripboard...do you need an upgraded account?

Thanks again...pretty excited about this new hobby!

Great advice Foxman, picked up 100 60Ds as suggested. PERFECT for starters. Also got the 8x10" suede from Michael's and cut in half. Got a couple of successful bends and only cried like twice :D Now I know what all the fuss is about...if my hands weren't f'n fried I would still be out in the garage bending more, what an addiction. Here is a pick of the finished product:

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s187/an...nt=DSC01456.jpg

Couldn't figuer out how to upload images to my profile on gripboard...do you need an upgraded account?

Thanks again...pretty excited about this new hobby!

As a beginner I would also advice you to get a pair of IronMind wraps, costs about $5, at ironmind.com. They're made out of cordura, much thinner, slipprier, etc. Why should you get them? Because they are more difficult to use, and they will force you to learn correct technique. I'm not saying that you have to progress to stainless steel with them, but throw them in once in a while, it will do you good in the long run => improve your technique, toughen your fingers etc.

In the beginning, bend in all styles (DO, DU, reverse) and use different kinds of padding.

Do you know what brand of nails those were? That doesn't look like a timber tie to me, but it doesn't look quite like a regular 60d either.

Dude!!!!!!!!! :blink When I said 60d's I meant timber ties(weaker nails used to put decks together)! Man, I'm not sure if you know what you just bent. That looks to be a regular ol' real deal 60d. Those are MUCH tougher than timber ties. Timber ties cal @ 170lbs, but that cals around 260-300 !! It took me a couple months to get my first one of those.

A reg. 60d bend is considered to be the milestone of a bender's entrance into the world of truly tough bends......AND you crushed that thing to death! :blink 2'' between the ends is the standard stopping point for a completed bend.

What style(DO, DU, or Rev) did you use?

Great first bends buddy!!! That's something to be proud of for sure. Congrats! :rock

Do you know what brand of nails those were? That doesn't look like a timber tie to me, but it doesn't look quite like a regular 60d either.

Matt, that looks to me to be a real 60. By the head, I think it might be a Mazel? Looks pretty tough by that sharp kink too. I think it just looks funny 'cause he crushed the wee out it.

that looks to me to be a real 60. By the head, I think it might be a Mazel? Looks pretty tough by that sharp kink too. I think it just looks funny 'cause he crushed the wee out it.

You'd know better than me. I've never seen one bend with that narrow a "U".

I went to homedepot and they didn't know what timber ties were (me either) so I got regular 8 cent 60D nails thinking that's what you were talking about. I'm glad I didn't know because after I first started bending I was thinking that this is frikin hard for a beginner's nail...called myself a puss* and kept going til she was a gonner.

As far as the brand of nail: I'm not sure...they only had them in huge $60-70 boxes (prob a couple thousand/box), there was one open so they let me buy singles. (but don't normaly sell singles) They were definetly 60D nails though.

As far as style I used: I tried everything today and now know how much technique goes into this stuff. After I got it kinked I used overhand (by the neck) and learned that once I leaned into it, it went pretty smooth. The crush down was the easiest for me. The first full bend took about 10 min. second about 5 I guess.

Had some friends over and we were passing them around doing some team work bends and got one in about 1 min., that was fun. I can't wait until my hands are healed up so I can go back at it, lost some skin today. That's probably the worst thing about bending...waiting for the hands to recover.

Cheers :rock

Also, I was trying to close it completely so I could put it on my key chain...that's why I crushed it down so far.

Edited by AFreeland

Wow..mangling 60D's for that first bend.

:rock:rock Your hands will recover. Wait a few days until you bend again and make sure that your wrapping is adequate.

Watch a few vids of the expert benders here ... neilkaz ..

Wow..mangling 60D's for that first bend.

:rock:rock Your hands will recover. Wait a few days until you bend again and make sure that your wrapping is adequate.

Watch a few vids of the expert benders here ... neilkaz ..

I can feel that I put a little more stress on my outer wrists and center hand than I should have, I'll do just that Neilkaz :D

Finishing that nail was definetly worth the pain though ;)

Edited by AFreeland

What style did you use to kink that 60? Just curious. I'm gonna guess it's DU......... :D

What style did you use to kink that 60? Just curious. I'm gonna guess it's DU......... :D

I had palms down and kinked it across my upper leg, not sure what that is called. I have been doing some reading tonight and watching videos but dont see people using the leg for certs...guess that's cheating? Or is that braced bending?

Also on the Homedepot receipt it said 60D common nail.

I had palms down and kinked it across my upper leg, not sure what that is called. I have been doing some reading tonight and watching videos but dont see people using the leg for certs...guess that's cheating? Or is that braced bending?

That's braced bending, and cheating for an actual unbraced cert. But it's no big deal, it was your first bend and you didn't know better. As I always advise new benders, it is physically impossible to watch too many videos of advanced benders. Watch and analyze technique, then repeat with a different person/video. You will develop your own technique over time but it's good to copy the pros at first.

Those are normal 60ds, as they have already said that is the bend that enters you into the real bending world, now just do it without bracing ;) Did you just kink it over your thigh then finish it unbraced? Or was it entirely braced? Either way that's pretty good for your first time. Watch and leanr and you'll be great at it and thoroughly addicted in no time. I think Foxman has an intro to bending/tutorial on youtube somewhere, try to find that and watch it.

That's braced bending, and cheating for an actual unbraced cert. But it's no big deal, it was your first bend and you didn't know better. As I always advise new benders, it is physically impossible to watch too many videos of advanced benders. Watch and analyze technique, then repeat with a different person/video. You will develop your own technique over time but it's good to copy the pros at first.

Those are normal 60ds, as they have already said that is the bend that enters you into the real bending world, now just do it without bracing ;) Did you just kink it over your thigh then finish it unbraced? Or was it entirely braced? Either way that's pretty good for your first time. Watch and leanr and you'll be great at it and thoroughly addicted in no time. I think Foxman has an intro to bending/tutorial on youtube somewhere, try to find that and watch it.

Thanks for the tips! We had a blast with this today, me and some friends train grip on Sundays and started the bending today. We are all hooked after one session! Don't have a protractor but ya started it braced (maybe 10-20 degrees?), then DO, then crush.

Yep, and here it is.......... :cool

DO/Modified DU bending explained vid

Yep, and here it is.......... :cool

DO/Modified DU bending explained vid

That's a great vid...I have a lot to learn :blink . Thanks for posting :)

After finding out that the nails I bought were much harder than the ones suggested I was pretty proud of myself...then...my friend who is a machanic came by. The first time ever attempting a bend he destroyed the 60D normal in less than 90 seconds :blink . He was talked into joining the gripboard under the appropriot name.....90seconds! That makes 4 of us here in Sacramento that will be training in bending. If anyone is located in the area, you are welcome to join. We do grip training on Sundays at 12:00 followed now by bending.

Thanks for all of the info guys, looking forward to training hard and competing with you in the near future!

Edited by AFreeland