Talking with 1stcoc today

Bill Piche

Richard and I had a chat today. He mentioned a grip feat I have thought of myself (it being harder).  That is, picking up a 3 (for COC's) or whatever gripper from a table and with no set...closing it.  The No-Set close.

Who here has tried this and what have you closed?

I can do it with my #1 and my shaved 309. Not even close on the BBM.

It's like John Brookfield tip : gripper on a string. Very hard to do on a string.

Bill, I've done this with either hand with many different #3's and Lemley's grippers.  Anything below a #3 no problem.  In fact, back before I came to the Gripboard this was how I closed grippers (no chalk either).  Seems silly now but maybe it helped me in the long run.  Kinda like breathing with a cork shoved up one nostril, sure feels great when you pull it out.   :D

I've closed a 3 in that manner.  It is very hard, and a very good training aid.

I still don't really understand "setting".  I just pick up my gripper and close it.  OTOH, I am still 1/16" from closing my #2.

It may be that my palm is large enough that my grippers are "self setting".  It seems that people with smaller hands have a greater need to set the gripper.

Robert

I can close my #2 and below in this fashion. I can't currently close my #3 with setting it. But doubt that I could ever close it without. The handle spread on my #3 is the widest of all my grippers. I can barely get the first knuckle of my middle finger around the handle without setting it.

To make it even harder, don't even touch it with the off hand.  No positioning whatsoever.  Just pick it up with the hand you are going to close it with and close it.

The list just got smaller.

After reading the articles about modifying grippers this no setting type of training really makes sense.  As you experienced guys know depending on how you set your hand depends on the leverage etc.  

I'm still waiting for my grippers to come in the mail

Jon@han

To make it even harder, don't even touch it with the off hand.  No positioning whatsoever.  Just pick it up with the hand you are going to close it with and close it.

The list just got smaller.

Richard and I also discussed how hand size is a factor in this. If a guy or gal has so small a hand they can't get their first joint around it, forget closing it.

It seems to me that if you have a good sweep, you should be able to close the gripper without setting.  Has all of this emphasis on the close, resulted in CoC's with poor sweeps?

Setting vs. not setting looks a lot like the difference between a raw benchpress and one with a shirt.  The shirt allows you to just train the lockout, since the shirt helps you at the bottom of the bench.

It seems to me that if you have a good sweep, you should be able to close the gripper without setting.  Has all of this emphasis on the close, resulted in CoC's with poor sweeps?

Setting vs. not setting looks a lot like the difference between a raw benchpress and one with a shirt.  The shirt allows you to just train the lockout, since the shirt helps you at the bottom of the bench.

I disagree RSW. Have you tried to close a gripper that you can't get your hand around? I have, so let me try to explain why it's so hard. For me at least.

I will use my #3 as an example. The handle spread is so wide that I can barely get my first knuckle of my middle finger around it. In order to close that gripper without setting it, I would have to slide my fingers over the gripper handle as I closed it, thus being able to use my whole hand. Otherwise for the entire attempt I am really just using my finger tips alone. Which is more like pinching it closed. There is just no way you, or maybe just I, can slide your fingers on a gripper that requires that much force to close.

Don't know if I explained that very well.

Guest Mikael Siversson

Setting vs not setting is more a question of hand size. Not very nice inferring that guys with small hands who has to set grippers are cheating. Its a bit like asking a child to pinch something that is 5 inches wide.

Everyone who trains with grippers soon finds out what is the hand position that is the most favorable, and that is to hold it low down on the handle with the little finger only half on the end of the handle.

Small hands or a wider than average handle spread comes to the same thing. you will need to set the gripper. The first  1/2'' offers little in the way of resistance, so once the gripper is set it should not be harder to close just because the handles are set a little wider.

Mikael Siversson Posted on Nov. 14 2002,2:48

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Setting vs not setting is more a question of hand size. Not very nice inferring that guys with small hands who has to set grippers are cheating. Its a bit like asking a child to pinch something that is 5 inches wide.

Dr. Mikael,

With all due respect,  here is a child pinching 2/3rds his bodyweight...

Bob's Page

Guest Mikael Siversson

Well, I was not inferring that children can't pinch but rather that it would be difficult for them to pinch something very wide. That boy is NOT pinching a 5 inch wide implement.

This sounded kinda neat so I had to run out in the garage and try it.  I can close the #3 I certified with in this manner.  Much harder than closing it with a set.

Kurtis