The History Of Grip Training

wlong132003

Ok here is my question to everyone. Who, what, and when was the first known grip training conducted. What did they do. When did they do it and who did it? What do you know????

I don't thats why I am asking....

Gerald T. Gripenheimer, worked for the rail road and used to train grip by strangling chinese workers.

Jk, lol..I have no idea

Gerald T. Gripenheimer, worked for the rail road and used to train grip by strangling chinese workers.

Jk, lol..I have no idea

Ok I had surgery on my hernia last friday and it hurts to laugh and oh my god ....that is funny....

David Horne, Richard Sorin and Joe Roark did it first, or at least, know who did.

I asked Joe at the Iron History forum...waiting on his word. When I here I will post here from him.

I'm thinking it would be guys like Thomas Inch and Louis Apollon.

Jk, lol..I have no idea

:laugh :laugh :laugh

Old people of china used to train there fingers in kung fu. That's very old.

Sybersnott went back in time and brought the message of grip to Joan of Arc and, well, you know the rest...

And poor Joan thought she was talking to angles, and it was just Snott going back in his time machine. How embarrassing.

Old people of china used to train there fingers in kung fu. That's very old.

Ya, think it's a discipline (form) called eagle claw...rice plowing n stuff

William Wallace, the Scottish hero (Braveheart) (1272-1305) had a two-handed sword which only he was strong enough to use. It was seven feet in length and weighed 40 pounds.

Robert the Bruce, king of Scotland (also from Braveheart) slew with one blow of his battle-axe the iron-helmeted Bohun, giant of King Edward's invading army.

And before them were the Vikings.

And before the swords could be made - some blacksmith had already developed some crazy forearm and hand strength. But can you imagine the strength endurance it took to swing a sword for a few hours - and the motivation to keep going was a bit higher than what we go through I bet.

And before the swords could be made - some blacksmith had already developed some crazy forearm and hand strength. But can you imagine the strength endurance it took to swing a sword for a few hours - and the motivation to keep going was a bit higher than what we go through I bet.

But is the OP referring to grip training actually intended to train grip? Or just something people did for another purpose that resulted in training grip? Because I took it to mean intentionally training grip, which would lead me to say people like Apollo, Louis Uni, Thomas Inch, Samson, among other late 19th century and early 20th century strongman whom I cannot remember names for :laugh Or unless he means really formalized grip training specifically designed for grip and forearms then it would most likely be John Brookfield with his variety of strange, inventive, grip exercises that he discusses in his two grip books.

Hercules. When he was in his baby crib, he strangled a python with each hand. Homer ( another Greek mythical figure) Simpson who two- handed strangled the incredibly annoying Bart.

But is the OP referring to grip training actually intended to train grip? Or just something people did for another purpose that resulted in training grip? Because I took it to mean intentionally training grip, which would lead me to say people like Apollo, Louis Uni, Thomas Inch, Samson, among other late 19th century and early 20th century strongman whom I cannot remember names for :laugh Or unless he means really formalized grip training specifically designed for grip and forearms then it would most likely be John Brookfield with his variety of strange, inventive, grip exercises that he discusses in his two grip books.

I think your all right. I like the China piece that makes since they probly did train grip but then again they may not have since they thought everything was mental....I don't know. When I first thought of this I thought John Brookfield then I thought about Thomas Inch and Louis Cyr. So I wonder if they intended on training grip and not just lifting odd things and subsequently train grip. For modern days I say John Brookfield....Old School which is what I am really wondering for now I say Thomas Inch.

Here ya go Derek: http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/ :)

Grip strength goes back so damn far. It's ancient really, it's just that grippers and grip exercises alike are the modern way of training grip. Grip got stronger automatically with work in the old days. Even before the first gripper was sold to the public, there were people with enough natural strength to close a Pro, or even a WC possibly. Modern grip strength is actually embarrassingly weak.

Grip strength goes back so damn far. It's ancient really, it's just that grippers and grip exercises alike are the modern way of training grip. Grip got stronger automatically with work in the old days. Even before the first gripper was sold to the public, there were people with enough natural strength to close a Pro, or even a WC possibly. Modern grip strength is actually embarrassingly weak.

What a load of unsubstantiated twaddle! :rolleyes

Agreed :rolleyes I've said it before and I'll say it again, I HATE speculation. Plus, grippers are something that take technique and work on them to be really good, no one is going to have the "natural strength" to close a Pro or higher. Thanks Mike!! Man that's a long list, and I feel ashamed for forgetting one's like Zass and Saxon :blush

Twig, hahaha :laugh

Edited by vikingsrule92

It was named after General Ambrose Griphr Burnside. His moustache was soon renamed the "gripstache". Burnside could lift a 400 lb coin with his little finger

Agreed :rolleyes I've said it before and I'll say it again, I HATE speculation. Plus, grippers are something that take technique and work on them to be really good, no one is going to have the "natural strength" to close a Pro or higher. Thanks Mike!! Man that's a long list, and I feel ashamed for forgetting one's like Zass and Saxon :blush

Twig, hahaha :laugh

Arent you speculating that no one could close a pro? Grip training was not started by thomas inch or any one at that time. Its funny to think that something like grip training would have origionated 300 years ago. Its been around longer then that. Probably as long as man been on earth. Like was said earlier. The chinese would Train their grip(for the purpose of getting a stronger grip) as well as hand hardening. Grippers are recent, but training grip has been around. Wheter it was for exceling at wrestling, judo, martial arts or just kids trying to hold on to a rock the longest. But then again arent we all "speculating" here?

Arent you speculating that no one could close a pro?
Not really, no. As has already been alluded to, the last 1/4" of a gripper close is a VERY specific movement. I'm strong, always have been, but I'm nowhere near a Gripgod, yet I can sweep most grippers down to less than an inch. However, give me a hard gripper set to sub inch level and I really struggle.

Much as I love grippers, they are no indicator of how strong anyone is except for closing grippers.