Bc400 Problems

Grippster

I've been doing more negatives with that gripper, a lot more. I make the handles touch all the way and then try to hold it there. However, I discovered a pretty serious problem. The 400 has seasoned down to the point where it's just as easy as the 300. I can see a gripper seasoning down to the point where it's noticeable, but it's lost a huge amount of resistance. Not long ago it felt like a brick, now it's like... soft. What can I do? It has a lifetime warranty, but does this count as "breaking"?

All my HG grippers have seasoned like that, which is one reason I do not recommend them.

But the 300 seasoned too, to a point. But this thing actually feels like butter now and the spread has dropped about an inch. It annoys me because I bought it to go to the next level and it's now essentially the same bloody resistance as the 300.

Edited by Grippster

Bone Crusher 400s season FAR more then any gripper I have ever seen or heard off. 500s are probably the same way but no one can really do excessive work with one. After the first 3-5 closes with mine it seasoned from well above a 3 to on par with a hard 2.5. There's nothing to do, don't worry about it, just train.

My numbered HG400 was the same way. Its about the same as the 300 in terms of pressure needed to get it closed. The big handles just make it a bit harder.

My HG's behaved in a similar way, useless really.

I have the loan of 2 HG400's (and about 50 other grippers this week) from twig, I will endeavour to shut all of them...

It's funny, because you always hear about the HGs seasoning down badly (particularly the 400s), but mine never seasoned hardly at all. The worst one was the 100...but then again, it's a 100, so who cares ;) You could try taking a pic of it next to a ruler and sending it to them...I know Matt had some luck with that. Or, if your feeling creative, you could try remounting it. The only problem with that is it while it will make the gripper harder, it will make the spread slightly narrower at the same time.

Well the handles are glued in pretty good. How would I remount it?

btw, I know for next time to get a 3.5 instead of a 400, and a #4/GE instead of the 500. My 500 hasn't seasoned yet because I simply cannot move it much, but I guess it will end up just like the 400.

Edited by Grippster

Well the handles are glued in pretty good. How would I remount it?

btw, I know for next time to get a 3.5 instead of a 400, and a #4/GE instead of the 500. My 500 hasn't seasoned yet because I simply cannot move it much, but I guess it will end up just like the 400.

Pick one handle and heat it really good with a heat gun (avoid the spring), and wrap in in a piece of leather (or anything to protect the knurling), and mount it horizontally in a vice. Now take a rod or pipe (about 2ft long will do) that, with reasonable play, fits inside the spring, and wrap it with duct tape (to protect the spring). As matter of fact, get the pipe ready before hand so the handle doesn't cool off. Anyway, now stick the pipe in the spring, and slowly and evenly twist it back and forth until the spring leg breaks loose. Now just keep going until it comes all the way out. It'll take a few minutes to get it all the way out. Now do the same thing to the other handle. Then, clean all the crumbled epoxy off of the spring and out of the handles with some carb or brake cleaner. Now, find a drill bit that's as close to the spring size as possible, and little by little drill out the handles to the depth you want. Every time you drill a little, stick a spring leg in the handle to see how you like it. If you can't find a drill bit close enough in size to the spring, you can cut the spring leg to the new mount depth, but be VERY careful if you do this, cuz what you cut off is permanent, whereas if you drilled the handle, it can always be filled back in if you accidentally screw up. So, when you done with that, just epoxy the handles back on, and there you have it.

Here are some before-and-after pics of when I remounted my 100 and 250:

100 before (I know, disgusting :dry )

100 after

250 before

250 after

Also, I'd go with a #3 in place of the 400. The 3.5 would be quite a jump up.

Wow, the 100 is disgusting man :D This sounds like a lot of work and also it could be risky, but I'll definitely consider that. It's annoying me now.