Making My Own Inch Type Dumbbell

Incindium

I didn't want to pollute the Gracie dumbbell thread with the welding talk any more. I actually got the KB's I'm wanting to turn into an Inch type Dumbbell off of Ebay from Torque Athletic for something like $.60 a pound a couple years back.

I went and looked at them again and I don't think they are cast because the KB handles are actually welded onto them.

I'm pretty sure This Kettlebell is basically the same at the ones I bought but mine didn't have the powdercoat.

So I'm thinking that I shouldn't have any problems welding a handle onto the two of them and making my own Inch replica. I figure the dumbbell would be ~180lbs after removing the KB handles and adding the thick DB handle to the 2 globes.

Edited by Incindium

As was said elsewhere, you don't really want to be welding on cast unless you know what your doing. It'll hold, just try not to drop it on anything but rubber or grass and you'll be just fine.

Jesse, ask Zach about the DB making. The one I bought from him isn't gonna break with anything I am gonna do with it.

Jesse, ask Zach about the DB making. The one I bought from him isn't gonna break with anything I am gonna do with it.

I'd be damned if you could so much as bend those loading pins/death spikes on the ends too.

Those were just straight up HRS, I circle milled a hole into the heads of the bell so that it was a press fit for the handle, then welded around it. Nuff said. With these KB's, I would recomend the same if you could get a machine shop to do it. It wouldn't be very expensive as you wouldn't need to go too deep and the handle will make up for any weight lost by milling out the bells. If you do that, and press fit the handle even as shallow as 1" in, that weld, cast iron or not, will not break under any stress your likely to subject it to. Unless your just out and out trying to break it of course :laugh

I didn't want to pollute the Gracie dumbbell thread with the welding talk any more. I actually got the KB's I'm wanting to turn into an Inch type Dumbbell off of Ebay from Torque Athletic for something like $.60 a pound a couple years back.

I went and looked at them again and I don't think they are cast because the KB handles are actually welded onto them.

I'm pretty sure This Kettlebell is basically the same at the ones I bought but mine didn't have the powdercoat.

So I'm thinking that I shouldn't have any problems welding a handle onto the two of them and making my own Inch replica. I figure the dumbbell would be ~180lbs after removing the KB handles and adding the thick DB handle to the 2 globes.

Those don't look like cast, so shouldn't be a problem.

If you use a slitting disc to take the handles off there'd be minimal material lost, keep the handles and if you ever wanted to go back to KBs you could just cut the DB up and weld them back on. ;)

What Dia. are the spheres?

Maybe I didn't make it clear but I'm about 90% sure that the KB's I have are steel so we'll have no problems. Like I said in the other thread my dad is an experienced welder so he knows what he's doing. He's welded off and on for 40 years.

It should work fine for you then. I didn't see the posts in the other thread.

Maybe I didn't make it clear but I'm about 90% sure that the KB's I have are steel so we'll have no problems. Like I said in the other thread my dad is an experienced welder so he knows what he's doing. He's welded off and on for 40 years.

No knocking on your dad, that wasn't my intention :happy I completely missed the sentence above. They may just be big special order ball bearings with a flat cut in them for the logo and weight with a handle welded on them. They look pretty smooth in the link so I'd say your probably right Jesse :)