Bending Only Comp

Paul Knight

I think extending the date is a great idea. Hopefully I will have bent a bastard by July.

Edited by nockowt1

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• matthcarl

• bencrush

• nockowt1

I think extending the date is a great idea. Hopefully I will have bent a bastard by July.

cool! ............ everyone else cool w/this ....... any objections?

cool! ............ everyone else cool w/this ....... any objections?

sounds good brotha!

Alright - July 1st it is!

If you so entice, we could have a seperate bending comp in imps only - same deadline, just one bend - best bend wins - nailman's rules apply (completely seperate from current comp) but if you want to bend in imps for the current comp, have at it.

Suggested rules: Ironmind pads only, no rubber-bands, 2 min time limit ................... sound good?

It all sounds good to me :cool Hopefully I'llbe good for a few PR's between now and July.

If you so entice, we could have a seperate bending comp in imps only - same deadline, just one bend - best bend wins - nailman's rules apply (completely seperate from current comp) but if you want to bend in imps for the current comp, have at it.

Suggested rules: Ironmind pads only, no rubber-bands, 2 min time limit ................... sound good?

I bent a Huge Shiny in Ironmind pads this afternoon in 2 minutes and 39 seconds. I used rubber bands though. Anyway, I may try it again a bit later tonight and see if I can get it in 2 minutes and without rubber bands. It was 7/16" offcenter so that had a bit to do with why it was a bastard to crush that final 1/2". I didn't originally have this competition in mind when I started the bend, but when I realized it was going to be close to the 2 minute mark (faster than the other times I've bent a Huge Shiny in IMP) I tried to step on the gas. And then my digital camera died with about 20 seconds left in the 2 minute time limit. I was at 2 and 3/16" at that point and it totally screwed me up because I went to check the damn camera. I was like "Really? Did you just shut off?" :blink Anyone who has done near-limit Ironmind pad bends knows that pretty much the LAST freaking thing you want to do after bending at the outer limits of your pain threshhold is to REPEAT the performance! :angry:

I bent a Huge Shiny in Ironmind pads this afternoon in 2 minutes and 39 seconds. I used rubber bands though. Anyway, I may try it again a bit later tonight and see if I can get it in 2 minutes and without rubber bands. It was 7/16" offcenter so that had a bit to do with why it was a bastard to crush that final 1/2". I didn't originally have this competition in mind when I started the bend, but when I realized it was going to be close to the 2 minute mark (faster than the other times I've bent a Huge Shiny in IMP) I tried to step on the gas. And then my digital camera died with about 20 seconds left in the 2 minute time limit. I was at 2 and 3/16" at that point and it totally screwed me up because I went to check the damn camera. I was like "Really? Did you just shut off?" :blink Anyone who has done near-limit Ironmind pad bends knows that pretty much the LAST freaking thing you want to do after bending at the outer limits of your pain threshhold is to REPEAT the performance! :angry:

Ah come on Ben your a masochist just like the rest of us and love the pain really :tongue

Paul sounds good to me but just curious why no rubber bands and a 2mins time limit also chalk or not :D

I like the 2 min. time limit. But why no rubber bands? They don't make the bend much easier if any. Just curious :). I personally think rubber bands are okay. :happy

Paul sounds good to me but just curious why no rubber bands and a 2mins time limit also chalk or not :D

just shootin from the hip - would you prefer different rules? I basically left the ironmind rules minus the time limit, added an extra minute for the tougher bends to crush, ie ... stainless. Should we extend the time limit to 3 or more?

Without rubber bands definitely makes it harder for me and most guys I think. Not a lot harder, but enough that I much prefer bending with them. Which makes me think that we ought to keep it how it is now...without rubber bands. The 2 minute time limit isn't much, but it's a heck of a lot better than the 1 minute Ironmind time limit.

I bent another Huge Shiny in Ironmind pads about 10 minutes ago. Got it to 1 and 15/16" within the 2 minutes. Probably around 1 minute and 50 seconds. And I learned a valuable lesson in the process. When my digital camera's batteries are even a tiny bit low...it shuts down at the 3 minute mark. So I got a nice clear video of me wrapping the Huge Shiny and showing that it's Stainless and all that. I'm definitely ticked about that, but happy to bend the HS within the 2 minute time limit. I think 2 in one day is enough for me. I seriously considered getting psyched up for another one tonight. I think that'll have to wait for another day though.

The reason I didn't film it in on my webcam is that I can't wrap it in the same room. The area in there just isn't conducive to wrapping this stuff tight. I wrapped it on my kitchen counter and used an orange pony clamp.

This is where I need some clarification on the rules: I wrapped one side of the Huge Shiny and then put a rubber band on it so that it would hold the pad tight while I wrapped the other side. Is that "legal" according to the rules for this comp?

My forearms are swollen with blood big time!

Here's what I plan on doing next time and it is another rules clarification: I'm going to wrap the Huge Shiny beforehand. Then walk right into the room with the webcam and take the Huge Shiny out and measure it, and show that it's Stainless and all that stuff. Then I'll slip it back into the pre-wrapped Ironmind pads (which will probably be rubber banded, otherwise there's no way I'd be able to hold them the entire time while I show all that stuff on video...unless I have someone else hold them on camera) complete the bend within the time limit. And then unwrap the pads and show them to the camera.

I know it's not a real cert or anything, but I figure if I'm going to the trouble of bending one of these monsters in IMP I'd like to get some "credit" for it one way or the other.

Anyone who has done near-limit Ironmind pad bends knows that pretty much the LAST freaking thing you want to do after bending at the outer limits of your pain threshhold is to REPEAT the performance! :angry:

I Really know the feeling Ben!!! BTW, Congrats on those shinys :rock:rock

Ben nice bending bro 2 in one afternoon and thinking of going for a third your getting greedy :D

Paul

Your comp but i would be interested in a raw traditional Ironmind Wraps Bend and Rules etc heres why.

I still consider the Ironmind cert rules the standard of a decent bend that any bender should aim for now i have no wish to cert myself to many goal post changes for my likeing a bend done now in the blue ironmind wraps is a harder bend done by those before that used leathers unless the leathers were half inch its like the old deep set 3 challenge now compared to the 2 types of credit card cert weve seen the fast scanner type swipe and the proper credit card attempt we see the Finns useing like i said no comparisons useing these types of goal post changes.

What it does give us here on the board is a chance for everyone to do a bend whatever it may be but in the same wraps no chalk and no rubber bands or tape etc this gives us all a chance to show Strossen what we can really do useing those wraps and we wont be hampered by just useing ironmind stock i also say stick with the 1 minute but also if people want it have a 2mins one as well same no chalk etc or you could just put an asterix against someones name if they opt for the 2mins time.

You could also have a thin leathers section for those that like to bend in thin wraps say 1/2inch but dont like useing the ironmind wraps just some thoughts.

I was quite sure chalk is allowed for IM certs...am I mistaken? In any case, my own pads are too saturated with chalk to have a truly chalk-free bend anymore.

I was quite sure chalk is allowed for IM certs...am I mistaken? In any case, my own pads are too saturated with chalk to have a truly chalk-free bend anymore.

pretty sure it is

Doesn't matter to me - let everyone else decide - the comp is for everyone, so I'd like the majority to agree w/the rules, so I guess - after we get some feed back, we can make a decision

I would count on it. Very nice square bend man, you are very close now.

I like the deadline. I need a bit more time for my shoulders to recover to get a half decent DO bend. It really depends what else is going on if I have the physical recovery time to get some good max bends done for this comp but I really like the idea and I am enjoying the hell out of it even if I don't end up competing. I really would like to see what some of the strong short benders can do with the braced stuff and shoes too.

Ben are you gonna give any of the braced stuff a go? Very sick IM bend also, I can't understand why or who you are concerned about giving you "credit" for this though?

Ben are you gonna give any of the braced stuff a go? Very sick IM bend also, I can't understand why or who you are concerned about giving you "credit" for this though?

Thanks Tim! I was kidding about the "credit." A Huge Shiny is nowhere near a max bend for me these days.

My vote would be to allow chalk on the pads. Otherwise I'm out, just like Matt, lol. I embed chalk in my pads and don't care to scrape it off or try to sand it off. Course it doesn't really matter what one guy thinks anyway...the majority will rule on this one.

As for braced, I don't miss it and was only for a very short time enamored with it. I bent a few 8" Spikes and a bunch of wrenches of various size and manufacturer. With the requisite 1/2" HRS and 5/8" HRS thrown in there for good measure. If I was invited to the Champions of Steel contest, I'd have to start training braced again to at least have a moderate level of strength in it.

I'll check back in the morning to see what the consensus is on the rubber bands question I posed earlier and whether chalk is allowable for the casual comp. I think I could repeat the Huge Shiny success in 2 minutes though if everything is all systems go.

Also just realized that yesterday was exactly 2 months since I tore my shoulder out again.

I now understand the rubber band thing. I think no rubber bands makes it much closer to home for the IMP. Chalk should be allowable. :kiss

I keep messing this up. But I did at least get a Huge Shiny in Ironmind pads in 2 minutes on video a few minutes ago. However, I did NOT remember to take off the rubber bands! That's after even verbally reminding myself to do that before starting the bend. At the end I didn't even show the unwrapping since it wouldn't hold up in this thread. But there are more guys who could easily duplicate this bend...and they will probably remember to take the rubber bands off!

Great stuff guys. It's never a bad thing to be motivated by friendly competition. I bought a bunch of that .359" CRS-12L14 that I hope is the same as what Paul was generous enough to send me back in August. I might bend some of that in the IMP.

Here it is in all its dumb glory: :blush

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=E7FwOPhg69w

Wow Ben :blink. Do you think you've got a grand shiny in IM wraps in you?

Yeah, most likely. But not in 2 minutes! That would take a ton of training for me to get that. My fastest Grand Shiny in fat pads was 1m45s...so the chances of hammering one out in Ironmind pads is very remote in that time limit. For comparison sake, one of my fastest Huge Shiny bends in fat pads was 50 seconds. So I figure it's about twice as long on some of the harder stuff.

Nice bend Ben...I on the other hand bent the red faster in IM pads than any other way...most likely because the fat pads get in the way and I have to pause to unwrap them.

Nice bend Ben...I on the other hand bent the red faster in IM pads than any other way...most likely because the fat pads get in the way and I have to pause to unwrap them.

Thanks Matt. I later took a Grand Shiny to 90 degreeville in IMP just to see what it felt like. It felt most unpleasant.

It felt most unpleasant.

:laugh :laugh :laugh

That's got the be the best understatement of the week.