Sevan Matossian Issues Deadlift Challenge

craigzooka

Sevan Matossian (the guy who filmed pulling john) issued a deadlift challenge by way of his Blog. Here was the challenge. 250lbs, with sets of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 reps, all within 20mins. Here is a link to my attempt

http://armsports.blogspot.com/2008/10/deadlifts.html

Give it a go for yourself and see how you fare. I finished mine in 19m30s and almost had a heart attack.

I might have to give that a whirl. Ryan Klein or Beatty could probably just do it all in one set.

Too easy.

-Rex

This Sevan fellow is pretty light, I've seen him on videos and stuff. 250# is way over his BW as he's not even close to 200# BW. If you adjust that to your BW it might not be too easy :)

I know he does CrossFit workouts and they all are based on % of BW, people with extra weight are severly punished by their workouts.

Too easy.

-Rex

This Sevan fellow is pretty light, I've seen him on videos and stuff. 250# is way over his BW as he's not even close to 200# BW. If you adjust that to your BW it might not be too easy :)

I know he does CrossFit workouts and they all are based on % of BW, people with extra weight are severly punished by their workouts.

I thtink sevan and I are pretty close, I weighed in at 184 the morning I did this. Also, I regularly deadlift judt north of 400lbs, It wasnt the weight that killed me, but I have never done anything close to that many reps before.

Interesting. I don't consider myself all that strong, but I think I might be able to pull it off. I do weigh over 200 lbs, though.

Interesting. I don't consider myself all that strong, but I think I might be able to pull it off. I do weigh over 200 lbs, though.

I definately want to see how other people fare at this. I thought it would be a total joke. Its the time limit that makes it hard. I would say it is more a cardiovascular challenge than a strength one. By the time I finished I thought my heart was going to explode.

I definately want to see how other people fare at this. I thought it would be a total joke. Its the time limit that makes it hard. I would say it is more a cardiovascular challenge than a strength one. By the time I finished I thought my heart was going to explode.

Craig, if you liked how that workout felt, I can recommend you this other CF workout that's a real killer, and very humbling.

You gotta do 10 reps, then 9, 8, 7, etc... of each of these three exercises.

1.5xBW deadlift

1xBW bench press

3/4xBW squat clean (this is a clean in which you go down to a full squat on purpose, even if you can powerclean the weight).

So, you do 10 of each, then 9 of each, etc... in total it's 55 reps of each. I saw a video of a woman doing it in just under 15 minutes, that was unbelievable.

Arturo...no way could I do that workout, but it's a neat idea. Maybe I could start out with half that weight and start working up.

Craig, if you liked how that workout felt, I can recommend you this other CF workout that's a real killer, and very humbling.

You gotta do 10 reps, then 9, 8, 7, etc... of each of these three exercises.

1.5xBW deadlift

1xBW bench press

3/4xBW squat clean (this is a clean in which you go down to a full squat on purpose, even if you can powerclean the weight).

So, you do 10 of each, then 9 of each, etc... in total it's 55 reps of each. I saw a video of a woman doing it in just under 15 minutes, that was unbelievable.

that is absolutely insane. Unfortunately I have elbow problems which prevent me from benching, but I am certain that could not finish the 1.5 wt deadlift along with the 3/4 squat clean. I may decide to film myself giving it a shot, just to see which part I fail at. Although, for some reason I think it would be easier to start at 10 and go down, instad of 1 and go up. Maybe that just psychological though.

Although, for some reason I think it would be easier to start at 10 and go down, instad of 1 and go up. Maybe that just psychological though.

You do start at 10 in this one I just suggested, and keep going down.. as you fatigue, you do less reps which is good, but you get so tired that 3 reps feel harder than 10 did in the first set. If you can't bench you can try it with dips, or just substitute some pressing movement you consider adequate. I will say it again that watching that girl doing it in 14:50-ish was absolutely amazing. She had perfect form too. I obviously scaled the weight as I'm very weak and a 1.5xBW DL is near my 1RM right now :(

But the reason I stated this workout was because the strong guys from the board would all say that the workout Sevan posted is "too easy", which it is, if you can DL much more than that amount for a single. But in the crossfit community (where Sevan hangs out and gets these workouts from) they would not be impressedif a 300# monster does this workout and considers it easy, because they ALWAYS take in account someone's BW. Although sometimes innacurate, usually they consider the standard athlete's weight around 170-ish... for example, they have this workout that consists of 30 clean and jerks with 135 pounds for time. There was this high caliber oly lifter who did it very quickly, in like a minute... but he C+J's like over 350#... his BW is obviously way over 170, so they weren't very impressed, because for him, the bar should've had more weight, considering his BW.

Too easy.

-Rex

Bodyweight ratios are the opiate of the small.

-Rex

Bodyweight ratios are the opiate of the small.

-Rex

Scrambling up quasi-intellectual quotes is the elixir of the academic :laugh :laugh :laugh