5/16"x6" Grade 2 Double Underhand

matthcarl

Hi guys!

Did a little DU bending today and had a major breakthrough. Forgive me if I babble, but I call myself "The Writer" for a reason...I finally bent a 5/16"x6" G2. I have never bent anything harder than a 60d DU (past 40 anyway) so I didn't expect much. But down it went! Very easily, too, past 90 degrees.

I was so excited I decided to go for another one on video. I wrapped it up and...

Nothing :( I couldn't kink it. So after some angry swearing, I killed it DO. Interestingly, it went in a sharp V-shape unlike most G2's I've seen. I examined the head markings. The first was BGG and the second was 307A WT. I have bent plenty of 307A bolts, but I can't remember seeing WT before.

I wasn't sure if a) the BGG bolt was super-easy b) the WT bolt was extra hard or c) I was just fried. Remembering Captain Crush's advice about HoHo's, I decided I needed some energy. Not having much in the way of groceries in the house, I hoped substituting a PB+J sandwich would work. I wolfed that down with some milk, and went back to bending.

All my other G2's were marked 307A L...which is probably the most common I've seen.

To make a long story slightly shorter, I killed it easily. The video is forthcoming. I am still not sure if WT means anything special, but L's are easy enough :)

NICE!!!! Gotta love the DU!! :rock I see you have figured out the modified DU Matt! Awesome bend buddy! I expect to see a bastard soon! :rock :rock :rock

Thanks everybody. I'm really encouraged

NICE!!!! Gotta love the DU!! :rock I see you have figured out the modified DU Matt! Awesome bend buddy! I expect to see a bastard soon! :rock :rock :rock

I owe a lot to your videos. I think modified DU has clicked, at least partly, but I also have to say your example has helped my DO tecnique. I think I was putting a little too much bar into the wraps. Now that I place them more your style, my kink has gotten a lot better.

Edited by The Writer

Awesome DU Bend Matt :rock:rock I think you will be making some Huge gains :)

I already saw this one, but I saw it again. You really blew through that one. It was well beyond 40degrees after the first hit. Second hit was just overkill. I like it :rock:rock:rock

Second hit was just overkill. I like it :rock:rock:rock

Of course :laugh I like to dominate my steel...after the video I crushed it to under 1" with my FBBC crush pads :cool

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm really liking DU and made some more progress this morning. I bent:

1) 7"x7mm stainless

2) 7"x5/16 HRS

3) 6"x5/16" HRS

I confirmed something I had previously suspected - while for DO my ideal length is 7" (if not 7.5") I am much more comfortable with 6" in the DU position. The 6" HRS was actually easier than the 7" for me in terms of getting it started. I realize this might not be the case with harder stock, but I thought it was interesting.

Congrats Matt, that's a nice bend :rock How hard was that 7mm stainless DU? Until now it's been pretty hard for me, but Friday night it finally went down nice&easyish. It's still a challenge to reverse, hope to get it easier soon. I still have a few G2's, need to try them soon! Also, interesting point about the length, will need to experiment.

The 7mm stainless was challenging DU, but I didn't feel like it was anywhere near a max effort. I am still new to the modified DU technique and I'll need to experiment with it a bit more.

Second hit was just overkill. I like it :rock:rock:rock

Of course :laugh I like to dominate my steel...after the video I crushed it to under 1" with my FBBC crush pads :cool

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm really liking DU and made some more progress this morning. I bent:

1) 7"x7mm stainless

2) 7"x5/16 HRS

3) 6"x5/16" HRS

I confirmed something I had previously suspected - while for DO my ideal length is 7" (if not 7.5") I am much more comfortable with 6" in the DU position. The 6" HRS was actually easier than the 7" for me in terms of getting it started. I realize this might not be the case with harder stock, but I thought it was interesting.

Matt, I think you'll find that the shorter the stock, the more comfortable it will feel in the mod. DU style. I actually feel that a grand is easier than a bastard in this style because of the length.

Thanks guys. Jeremiah, I'll have to try some 5.5" and 5" HRS next time to test the length theory further :cool

uhhh...DU? U :rock:rock

you sort of exemplify the gripster in my mind. its like youre walking down the street and you see this average guy, and then you notice his forearms, as your eyes attempt to adjust to whats your mind is seeing, you decide to cross over to the other side of the street :blink

Heh heh. Thanks. On a grander scale, that's sort of what I thought about Gazza when I first saw his videos...not a huge guy, then you see his forearms as he crushes some ridiculous piece of metal...