Bending Ratings I Like Better For Bbb V

John Beatty

I'm thinking I still like using different lengths of stock, but maybe we'll do a modified better bar thing, say better bar at each length, i.e. rate 5/16 stock at 7" as Edgin, Hex, Shiny, Bastard, hardest to easiest, and put the 5/16 square in the next level above 5/16 round. That way, any 6.5" 5/16 round would beat the 7" level, 6" would beat 6.5, and so on, any 5/16 square beats any 5/16 round, blah, blah. Any 1/4 square beats any 1/4" round, 1/4 round ranks GR8, GR5, Hex, Round.

I felt like the 5/16 square was at least as hard as my 6" Edgin, maybe a little harder, so I think that's fair, regardless of calibration.

Any thoughts?

Is that piece to piece on length or any? For example, does a 6.5" bastard beat a 7" Edgin?

Unless we decide any Edgin beats any Bastard, which I don't think is quite right either.

I also don't think a Bastard should rate so close to an Edgin. A 480 bastard, heck a 515 bastard is a warm up for me now but the kink on the Edgins is still much harder. I don't completely understand the system. Why not go by a 1.5" or 2" rule? So a piece of stock 1.5"-2" shorter than the next logical step beats that next logical step. So a Mag Bastard beats a Shiny(as it should), a Grand Shiny beats an Edgin and so on. It's not perfect, but sounds better...

Sounds reasonable, as long as we can reach a consensus

Zach makes sense. There is no way a 6.5" bastard should rate anywhere near an Edgin, in my opinion.

I'm thinking I still like using different lengths of stock, but maybe we'll do a modified better bar thing, say better bar at each length, i.e. rate 5/16 stock at 7" as Edgin, Hex, Shiny, Bastard, hardest to easiest, and put the 5/16 square in the next level above 5/16 round. That way, any 6.5" 5/16 round would beat the 7" level, 6" would beat 6.5, and so on, any 5/16 square beats any 5/16 round, blah, blah. Any 1/4 square beats any 1/4" round, 1/4 round ranks GR8, GR5, Hex, Round.

I felt like the 5/16 square was at least as hard as my 6" Edgin, maybe a little harder, so I think that's fair, regardless of calibration.

Any thoughts?

I liked the idea you had a while back...a Bastard Medley :rock

Maybe use the 7", 6.5", 6", 5.5", 5", 4.5", 4"??? The most that you can complete in 5 minutes :rock It would take less time than doing 3 rounds for 5 minutes each competitor. Just go one round...this would be fun. Guys can wrap their nails before hand...or just use the same wrap for each.

Chad

Maybe use the 7", 6.5", 6", 5.5", 5", 4.5", 4"??? The most that you can complete in 5 minutes :rock It would take less time than doing 3 rounds for 5 minutes each competitor. Just go one round...this would be fun. Guys can wrap their nails before hand...or just use the same wrap for each.

Chad

You know John, I still do like that idea :) Perhaps you could set it up so that guys can do Bastard, Hex, Edgin, KOAB Medleys too? So one standard-non-hammer-to-your-face Hex bend beats any # of bastards, one Edgin beats any # of hex, one KOAB beats any Edgin, etc. I really just want to keep going for bigger, tougher bars if you couldn't tell :)

Chad

You know John, I still do like that idea :) Perhaps you could set it up so that guys can do Bastard, Hex, Edgin, KOAB Medleys too? So one standard-non-hammer-to-your-face Hex bend beats any # of bastards, one Edgin beats any # of hex, one KOAB beats any Edgin, etc. I really just want to keep going for bigger, tougher bars if you couldn't tell :)

I totally agree with this idea! :rock One thing to think about will be is it a "medley" if a guy can only bend the 7" Edgin, but fails on the 6.5" Edgin? The guy who bent a 7" and 6.5" Bastard technically did a medley, since he did more than one bend. Would 2 easy bends (for example: 1/4"X7" and 1/4"X6.5" Round) beat 1 hard bend, like a 7" Edgin? Either way it's pretty neat. I scoffed at the idea when I first read it quite a while back. But after thinking about it for a while I think it's a pretty legitimate way of testing both strength and endurance, without going to the extreme of having a guy bend as many 7" Bastards as possible in a 5 minute time period. That's just boring. Unless someone could bend a few at a time, taped together.

Chad

I totally agree with this idea! :rock One thing to think about will be is it a "medley" if a guy can only bend the 7" Edgin, but fails on the 6.5" Edgin? The guy who bent a 7" and 6.5" Bastard technically did a medley, since he did more than one bend. Would 2 easy bends (for example: 1/4"X7" and 1/4"X6.5" Round) beat 1 hard bend, like a 7" Edgin? Either way it's pretty neat. I scoffed at the idea when I first read it quite a while back. But after thinking about it for a while I think it's a pretty legitimate way of testing both strength and endurance, without going to the extreme of having a guy bend as many 7" Bastards as possible in a 5 minute time period. That's just boring. Unless someone could bend a few at a time, taped together.

It would still be a medley but one or more guys could go for a max effort bend still. It would still allow for some neat medleys to be done and for max effort bends at the same time. So 1 big bend would beat any # of bends underneath it. It sounds neat to me but you'll end up getting a bunch of guys going for max effort bends in the top 10 I think, and not too many going for the medleys. Which would kind of defeat the purpose of including the medley I guess :laugh

I think if it required 2 successful bends to be considered a medley it would liven things up quite a bit. If you chose wrong and weren't able to complete more than your first bend you'd have to drop down to something easier on your 2nd attempt. And by then you could be spent.

I think if it required 2 successful bends to be considered a medley it would liven things up quite a bit. If you chose wrong and weren't able to complete more than your first bend you'd have to drop down to something easier on your 2nd attempt. And by then you could be spent.

I like this idea, otherwise it's not really a medley. If this was the idea, what would the time be like? 5 min or 10min?

I like this idea, otherwise it's not really a medley. If this was the idea, what would the time be like? 5 min or 10min?

Ditto, and for contest purposes I think 5 is just fine :)

I'm not against it at all, agree that at least 2 bends must be made, but not sure the 5 min thing is best, might need to lengthen it a bit, but I do like the idea. If you don't think a 7" Edgin & a 6.5 will go, then better stick with Bastards. Maybe only give like Gr5, Gr8, 1/4" square, Bastards, Hex, & Edgins. I don't want to cut up a huge pile of Shiny stock for this, too expensive & eats too much time. Plus you're looking at 5 or more pc steel to be ready for each guy, instead of 3.

I personally love the idea of a medley. For us weaker clowns, would you have 7" G8's/G5's available, or would we have to start at 6"? Just curious. I'd have a better shot at bending a 7" and 6.5" bastard than a 6" and 5.5" G8, actually.

And yes, if I can save up enough pennies, and I can get vacation time, I am hoping to make BBB V.

Edited by The Writer

What time are you thinking John? I was thinking 10min might be better, but perhaps a middle ground like 8?

Matt brings up a good point here John, what do we do about bolts since they don't have 7" and 6.5" G5s and G8s (at least not to my knowledge)?

Is Edgin the highest? I doubt I'll be higher then that but just wondering for psychos like Paul who could probably do a couple 5/16" square AT LEAST by then.

Also, does everything have to be wrapped beforehand? What if someone were to only have one pair of good wraps and would need to rewrap for something like an Edgin? I'm just setting up a bunch of possible, hypothetical problems that could arise to make sure there are no problems like this year.

There are 7" (1/4" diameter) G8s available. They're just expensive.

I was wondering about the wraps thing too. I guess we'd become faster wrappers if we didn't have a bunch of pairs of good pads.

I'm not against it at all, agree that at least 2 bends must be made, but not sure the 5 min thing is best, might need to lengthen it a bit, but I do like the idea. If you don't think a 7" Edgin & a 6.5 will go, then better stick with Bastards. Maybe only give like Gr5, Gr8, 1/4" square, Bastards, Hex, & Edgins. I don't want to cut up a huge pile of Shiny stock for this, too expensive & eats too much time. Plus you're looking at 5 or more pc steel to be ready for each guy, instead of 3.

Will the poundage ranking still be in place and if so are you just going to add up the total poundages of the pieces?

Having done a Bastard thru mag in under 5 minutes I can say there wasnt anything left to go further than that for me in that time frame. The mag took a good portion of the time for me when that bend would be a small after dinner mint for me. The bending medleys definiately will test your stamina.

Having done a Bastard thru mag in under 5 minutes I can say there wasnt anything left to go further than that for me in that time frame. The mag took a good portion of the time for me when that bend would be a small after dinner mint for me. The bending medleys definiately will test your stamina.

AC,

How you coming on that Inch DB? You were missed at the BBB...hopefully you will make it next year.

Chad

The next logical step in competition bending is the bending medley which tests strength and endurance which is the what bending is all about.

I think Aaron is the one to consult in this and pen the rules as he has both the biggest bend and biggest medley in a competition setting plus he knows his stuff.

AC,

How you coming on that Inch DB? You were missed at the BBB...hopefully you will make it next year.

Chad

Done little to no training on it lately. Life and work has been keeping me pretty busy. I think I've only half heartedly trained twice since the comp in Sept and that was just grippers. still a few nagging injuries as well. Thanks for asking though and I hope to get back at it once I'm not quite so busy and banged up.

The next logical step in competition bending is the bending medley which tests strength and endurance which is the what bending is all about.

I think Aaron is the one to consult in this and pen the rules as he has both the biggest bend and biggest medley in a competition setting plus he knows his stuff.

Thank you very much Gary. What you said means alot to me as you are definately miles ahead of me or anyone else for that matter.

- Aaron