Forearm Bars

Lol999

So I'm wrist rollering, doing side levers etc to build forearm and wrist strength. However, xmas is coming and I'm always in the look out for ways to torture my body, in a productive non-sexual way :D I've seen a number of these forearm bars around, some home made (I like) and others bought, such as the Stan Pyke Captain BirdsEye, or the offerings from MonsterBars.

My question is: does/has anyone use this type of equipment and is it productive in building forearm strength and size?

Links and pictures of equipment would be useful!

Cheers, Lol

My question is: does/has anyone use this type of equipment and is it productive in building forearm strength and size?

Yeah, I've got a few of them. What kind of results are you getting from the equipment that you're using?

There's some slow steady growth going on, which can't be sneezed at, but I like to try different things. I find I progress better physically and mentally if I mix things up.

Cheers, Lol

• 1 month later...
So I'm wrist rollering, doing side levers etc to build forearm and wrist strength. However, xmas is coming and I'm always in the look out for ways to torture my body, in a productive non-sexual way :D I've seen a number of these forearm bars around, some home made (I like) and others bought, such as the Stan Pyke Captain BirdsEye, or the offerings from MonsterBars.

Links and pictures of equipment would be useful!

Cheers, Lol

never used those listed. For forearms I use wrist curls, plate curls and heavy hammer 2 from ironmind. All work good for me. I also had a homemade formulator which really gave me quite a pump, but I dont think I saw any real strength gains with it.

Hi Jeff, I find with wrist curls I get quite a crunching/grindind in my right wrist, regardless of angle of bar, dumbell/babrell used so I'm not pursuing that line of attack any more. I have a homemade implement along the heavy hammer lines that I like. I made a pegasus/formulator knock-off but it's not blowing my skirt up so far. Think I'll stick to the haeavy hammer and static thick bar holds for now.

Cheers, Lol

The best thing to build forearm size quickly aswell as grip/wrist strength is David Hornes Orbi Grip.The Orbi Grip is a killer to use and pumps the forearms up fast, ive gain alot of forearm size aswell as strength using it only once a week

Mark

Hi Jeff, I find with wrist curls I get quite a crunching/grindind in my right wrist, regardless of angle of bar, dumbell/babrell used so I'm not pursuing that line of attack any more. I have a homemade implement along the heavy hammer lines that I like. I made a pegasus/formulator knock-off but it's not blowing my skirt up so far. Think I'll stick to the haeavy hammer and static thick bar holds for now.

Cheers, Lol

If that was me I would stay away from wrist curls too.

What kind of exercises are you doing with your heavy hammer implement?

I mostly do two movements.

1. Standing straight with the hammer pointing down and my elbow locked straight I move my wrist until the hammer is parallel to the floor.

2. Sitting with my forearm on my thigh and the hammer pointing up in the air I rotate just my wrist until my palm is up and the hammer is parallel to the floor, then rotate the other way until the hammer is parallel with the floor but my palm is facing down.

With both of these I try for 6-10 with each hand, going back and forth with no breaks until I can only get 2.

Hi Jeff I do the same exercises as you, just different rep/set structures. I actually use 2" dia aluminium tubing with threaded bar through the end to stick a 5kg plate on. Works the wrists nice, usually after wrist roller has already hammered them and my forearms. :D

Forget the rest :D BENDING builds STRONG wrists,hands and Forearms period?

The next best thing is blob work and thickbars.

I agree with that! Bending has given me 15''+ forearms and strong wrists and hands. No other specialized forearm work at all.

Gazza, Foxman, I'm not really a bender (regardless of rumour :D ). Not knocking it, but it's just not my cup of tea.

MARKR I've looked at the Orbigrip, just a little worried about the degree of flexion involved. Wrist sore atm and making clunks when moved so I'm wary of aggravating it any more. Think I'll stick to some thick bar holds, wrist roller for the moment and see what happens. I have xmas money burning a hole in my pocket so an orbigrip is not out of the question in the future.

Cheers fellas, Lol