How Energy Draining Is Bending And What Other Training Do You Do?

Tunafish

I tried some bend before weighttraining the other day (high pulls) and I was zapped totally before I started. How demanding do you guys find bending and its recovery demands.

Also I wanted to ask how would one go about incorporating bending into a balanced grip workout/ normal workout. It seems bedning is the only upperbody work I do at the moment.

thanks guys

Chris

The only things I have been doing over the past few months is standing barbell military press and face-pulls with a Jumpstretch band attached to the top of my power rack. I bend probably 6 days a week. I always do the military presses after the heavy bending and have consistently made gains with the presses. But for some reason I can bend heavy every day and thats enough recovery for me to keep improving.

I'm just rambling on cause I didn't sleep yet since last night... :(

I also do all kinds of pressing, pulling and squatting. I just separate them out. My pressing day is typically Monday, my squat's/pull days are typically Sundays(for now anyway) and I do KB's, bend and grip the rest of the week. I can usually hit a stride and go for a week straight bending heavy every day like Chad, but that also involves a week off from bending. I find that if I bend when fatigued a heavy bench workout the day before, I bend bigger. Not sure why, but that's how it goes. I always set PR's in all my lifts, grip feats, bending, etc, when fatigued.

what you recommend Steve? I have got a stress fracture in my shin so lower body is out.

One leg or both? If one leg work the other.

My left leg , did sprinting perhaps doing heavy rack pulls too. So things leg one leg squats - the right leg is actually significantly weaker so I guess it work well.

There are some studies which support a form of transference. Basically even though you cannot work one leg by working the other you'll still get some benefit in the non working leg.

There are some studies which support a form of transference. Basically even though you cannot work one leg by working the other you'll still get some benefit in the non working leg.

I read the same and though I can't back it up with a link, it said something like 3% in the unused limb per 100% increase in strength in the usable limb. It's not a big increase and there will probably always be an imbalance, but there is some "transference".

If you only want to do bending I would guess its ok just to train bending, but I dont think bending will make you strong for that much else other than bending so if your looking for overall strength you will need to go back to a decent weights routine to accompany the bending. There is however a bit more carryover the other way I think so a good weights routine will improve your bending.

Edited by Stew

Cheers guys,

i have read that study too, (or rather seen it quoted) . Thanks for the reminder. It's easy to miss the obvious some times.I think the imbalance could have contributed to the injury. I have been sprinting up to two week ago. It is amazingf how hard sprinting can work the lats and upperback. All I have real done strength wise is mostly deadlifts and zercher squats a while back. I am sure the deadlifts have helped a great deal with what I can bend . I quit bench pressing and later overhead lifts because they irritate my left shoulder. I have been trying to maintain with one-arm pressups (pushups) . I guess that can only take you so far. My shoulder seems to tolerate the bending. At least since its got used to it.

the temptation to go 'flat out' on bending, with everything you have, is very high when you first start out!

my advice would be to train sensibly with bending, like everything else for that matter, keep it in moderation with other workouts. and remember to take a rest day or two! listen to your body, it will tell you what it needs.

as for other things i do...

(often, 2/3 times a week)

kettlebells - a lot of work on my core, and bending after - i find these go well together

pullups

pushups

grip work... grippers/rolling thunder/pinch

stretching (very important)

Edited by dimmers