Trick The #3 Shut!

Captain Sam

Last night a tried a new method (for me) to close the 3 shut. I tried to set it like i always do (im crap at setting) but i never removed my other hands thumb from the back handle and it made all the difference. I closed it good without a choker 5 times with both left and right from ca 30-35 mm.

A question

how mutch do you guys think it helps? i mean you cant push it more shut with your other hands thumb, its more like you hindering the back handle from slipping further back. I really think this is a good way to train!

Is this a comon method?

I think its easier because your thumb is holding the gripper in place and allowing you to pull with your arm as well as crush. It is a great way to get over mental blocks like the #3 can be. Try it anyway for a while and if it helps progression keep it up.

Last night a tried a new method (for me) to close the 3 shut. I tried to set it like i always do (im crap at setting) but i never removed my other hands thumb from the back handle and it made all the difference. I closed it good without a choker 5 times with both left and right from ca 30-35 mm.

A question

how mutch do you guys think it helps? i mean you cant push it more shut with your other hands thumb, its more like you hindering the back handle from slipping further back. I really think this is a good way to train!

Is this a comon method?

How much do you miss by when you don't do this? There's your answer :D

It's fairly common. You can also brace the spring with you off hand and that can be just enough to get a close.

Due to the coil of the spring the back handle will want to twist out as you compress the spring. I think they call them braced closes. I used them pre#3 but not much anymore.

Thanks!

I realy think Chris gave me a piece of the puzzle i didnt have. I always find the gripper in my right hant twisting out of my hand at the last 5 mm or so and the "bracing" with my other thumb stops this effectevly alowing me to feel stronger aka use my ful streanght att the optimal position in my hand.

Now that i have the chokers AND braced holds as training the MM0 cant be far of...

Is this a comon method?

can u post one video of u doing this, i'd like to learn the technique! thanks:-)

like Casey said its good to overcome the #3 ... i am 1 mm from it for a long time ... thanks.

Edited by ewokhugo

Im not very good with videos but i will try to explain.

I do as ive seen in setting videos.

I hold the gripper in my right hand and begins to pull with 3 fingers on the right hand, at the same time I assist/set the grippper with my left thumb between the back handle and the back of my right hand, the pointfinger of my left hand is pulling the front handle in, this is how u usuly set the grippers.

The differens is that i only remove my point finger when i go for the close and the left hand thumb is akting like an anker for the back handle so it doesent slip. i try to not pull with my arm and just use my crushgripp, i dont push with my assisting thumb i just hold it there....

very usefull!

Because my english its poor i may loose something here.

one video would be nice, anyway thanks very much!

When I tried grippers for the very first time this was how I closed them. Havn't done them since then though. But I tried it today and managed to close my 3.5 in this manner, a gripper I am nowhere near closing otherwise. I see how this could be good to use in training. And I think I'll incorpurate it into my grip routine from now on

Thanks Matt and Mark about teh link and video:-)

this morning i had the "insight" ... i though the technique was called "braced" and i think i am right.

Looks like one forced rep anyway ... looks good to build confidence.

Griparn: i am not to bad about setting the gripper. Thanks anyway!