Would this work?

ruffhans

ihave just recently gotten into pinch griping. im not sure if anyone has ever thought of this, or if it will realy be a help.  i am thinking of having two metal brackets welded on the ends of the handles of my coc trainer. i would have the brackets welded so that it would be the same positoin as I.M titans telegraph key. i would have them far enough out so i could still use the trainer for crushing.  a good example to descrbe it,...it would be like having a small portible titans telegraph key.   does this make sence, and is it a good idea?

Yah I have done this also with a store bought gripper. I use it all the time for pinching after my gripping workouts just because it's convientient as #### and appears to do a good job working my pinch grip.

I use my thumb and pointer/middle finger to do the closes and I'll say it's alot harder then it would seem (The gripper is actually fairly strong for a store bought, strongest I've seen). I can now just finally close it compeltly in a pinch, so I would think closing the trainer in this manner would be hard as ####.

But its a great idea, keep up updated on how it works out.

i sure will!   now when i get around to it, i will have to go out and find someone who can weld for me. i have also been wanting to purchase another coc #2 and saw an inch from the handles for a tougher gripper, but i just hate to ruin a brandnew beautiful #2 :(

ruffhans,

Use the grippers for what they were designed to do!  Don't alter them if you don't really need to.  

Just my 2 cents...

I use a department store gripper to pinch once in awhile.  I can almost close it (I just hold the tips with my thumb and two fingers).  I can hold a trainer in a similar way and close it a bit.

As for the welding aluminum problem...if you insist on putting a flat surface on it to pinch you can either just file the outside of the handle flat (as in chop off half of the gripper for a small portion of it's length) or you can get the welder to weld together a small pinch surface with a bolt on it.  Thread a hole drilled into the gripper and just screw in the pinch surface when needed.

well, the idea was to have a small portible pinch grip device, that would have alot of poundage. but then again i never thought about the welding problem. i also have pinced griped grippers before, infact i use my trainer all the time for this. however i would like something that fits the pinch grip positoin better.   thanx for the input

If you cut a gripper, don't cut a full inch. I cut 3/4 on a #2 and it is a 2.8 (compared to my #3). A #2 with 1" off would be as tough as a #3 if not tougher.

Previously, some one mentioned the 1" and 2" flat clamps from Home Depot.  Buying some HRS, I swung by hardware and bought a few, and must agree that they are great pinching devices.  The 1" is great for pinching with the thumb and side of the index finger, and the 2" is great for the style you all mentioned.  It's about the weight of a Trainer.  It's also about $5 for the pair.  I highly recomend it.