Tossing Around Bbb 5 Events

John Beatty

Was considering events for next year, will probably have to not be too exotic, as my wife will be at school 40-60 hours per week & I'll be playing single dad after a fashion. I was thinking grippers & bending, as usual, but for grippers, what about a gripper medley? Lay out 5-6 grippers, then go at them. Would speed things up, and be kind of interesting to try. Maybe set them in chokers, to eliminate the set, any thoughts?

Bending as usual

Hercules hold - seemed everyone liked it, and I already built the ramps.

A mix & match medley - some 1 handed bits, some 2 handed - say 10 objects.

Either scale weight or the famous plate hula

then one more event TBA.

The usual food/beer/cheesecake combo

Oct as usual

I'm liking it all and the gripper medley sounds like a neat idea. Would the dummed down version be something like #1, 1.5, #2, 2.5, #3, 3.5, #4? Or would you use calibrated poundage jumps of 10-20lbs? I like it :)

On the bending, would it be possible to go back to hardest bar wins? The decision to score by poundage kind of snuck up on a few of us(me). I could've killed a Grand bastard and come in 2nd place instead of wearing myself out on an Edgin. There's no incentive towards the harder stock if you can bend an Insane and win. Not that thats a bad thing, but otherwise you get Grand Bastards beating easy KOABs :blink

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

This is a discussion I have had with Eric, Jedd, Nick and several others. The fairest test has all bars the same length for starters - then poundage rated bars actually make sense. With different lengths - it seems impossible to compare what wins as calibration numbers don't seem to reflect the actual difficulty all that well.

This is a discussion I have had with Eric, Jedd, Nick and several others. The fairest test has all bars the same length for starters - then poundage rated bars actually make sense. With different lengths - it seems impossible to compare what wins as calibration numbers don't seem to reflect the actual difficulty all that well.

But John uses his own stock, so just like the pinch apparatus from last year, idk if he'd be willing to use other people's stuff.

John I like the events ideas. I kind of like the idea of a choked grippers medley, but I'm not sure how well speed would portray a person's strength with grippers so personally I don't like the idea of it timed. BUT, I think it would be a great idea to do something like this: #1, #1.5, #2, 120lb, 130lb, 140lb, 150lb, 160lb, 165lb, 170lb, etc. You could obviously eliminate some of those small steps, but I like the idea, if you're going with a gripper medley, to go to how much you can do, not a certain number for best time.

I'm assuming the plate hula would be 25s? I think it should be 45s for Chad just to be fair :laugh Hahaha

Maybe Axle DL for the last event? Or are you thinking something less normal?

I'll probably consider some refining for the bending if we use poundages. The hard thing with bending, if you go poundages, then it only takes in the first 30 degrees (that is where Eric calibrates to, right?). So the Crazy hex is a killer from the start, Edgins are easy (well, easier), but freeze up. I'm way stronger on the 6.5-5" range, but go to 7" & it's way harder for me. Some guys love longer stuff & can't kill anything at 5"....blah, blah. If every bar is 6", then you handicap the guys that are better at 7". If it's all 7" you handicap guys like me & Fox, that have trouble at longer stuff. I'll figure out something by next year.

If you guys like the medley for grippers, I'll work on some way to score it, maybe take the timed aspect out.

I was thinking something basic from the FBBC line, possibly a heavy wrist roller for max pulls. Like 100 lbs on the 2.5", then crank it up as many times as you can with someone to lower it each time withno stopping or removing hands from the roller.

I'll probably consider some refining for the bending if we use poundages. The hard thing with bending, if you go poundages, then it only takes in the first 30 degrees (that is where Eric calibrates to, right?). So the Crazy hex is a killer from the start, Edgins are easy (well, easier), but freeze up. I'm way stronger on the 6.5-5" range, but go to 7" & it's way harder for me. Some guys love longer stuff & can't kill anything at 5"....blah, blah. If every bar is 6", then you handicap the guys that are better at 7". If it's all 7" you handicap guys like me & Fox, that have trouble at longer stuff. I'll figure out something by next year.

If you guys like the medley for grippers, I'll work on some way to score it, maybe take the timed aspect out.

I was thinking something basic from the FBBC line, possibly a heavy wrist roller for max pulls. Like 100 lbs on the 2.5", then crank it up as many times as you can with someone to lower it each time withno stopping or removing hands from the roller.

I'm fine with 6" stuff. All the guys who love longer stuff(ME) can still work at 6" comfortably, though I'd have to work down to it to be best at it. It's still a YEAR away. I think that's one of the reasons Jedd used 6" stock at GGC, it's right in the middle and isn't exactly "short".

I still like the gripper medley. It would make for an interesting change of pace.

Now, John, weren't just talking about speeding things up a tad? That wrist roller would take forever if everyone trained for it. What about bringing the 2" Vbar back, you could do the axle deadlift, the big squeeze was fun. Perhaps a blob simulator for max weight? Or even using the FBBC thick handles for a max weight lift? I like the wrist roller idea actually, but if time is a limiting factor, it seems it would take forever for the last reps :)

I like the idea of 6" stuff. Anybody who's flexible enough to do 7" well can do 6" just fine, but the opposite is not true at all.

I'm not so big a fan of wrist roller for reps, I think since you already have the hula or scale weights and a gripper medley as weird events this one should be semi-normal like 2" Vbar or something else Zach suggested.

Was considering events for next year, will probably have to not be too exotic, as my wife will be at school 40-60 hours per week & I'll be playing single dad after a fashion. I was thinking grippers & bending, as usual, but for grippers, what about a gripper medley? Lay out 5-6 grippers, then go at them. Would speed things up, and be kind of interesting to try. Maybe set them in chokers, to eliminate the set, any thoughts?

Bending as usual

Hercules hold - seemed everyone liked it, and I already built the ramps.

A mix & match medley - some 1 handed bits, some 2 handed - say 10 objects.

Either scale weight or the famous plate hula

then one more event TBA.

The usual food/beer/cheesecake combo

Oct as usual

Not a fan of the gripper medley but unless you require CCS, it's not a dealbreaker for me. Would prefer you have plenty of grippers between the #3-#4 so it doesn't turn into a gripper version of the 2hand medley.

Bending looks fine. Some people, myself included, were just too lazy to look at the sheet and that's our own faults. Like Zach, if I would have looked at the sheet before my 1st attempt, it would have been some very different attempts. Next year, nobody will be surprised.

HH was a blast, if very humbling!

Medleys are always fun, hopefully you won't make it a handsize fest. I say eliminate the Kaz rule and have as many as you can load in 2 min.

Plate hula would be better than scale weight if you're going to do HH, if not, scaleweight all the way!

Food and cheesecake; don't change a thing! :rock

Love the choked gripper medley, especially cause I suck at at setting!! :blush Bending by poundages is just fine by me; but I do love the short stuff, so whatever the popular consensus turns out to be is fine with me. Plate hula would be cool, and medley too, although I would like to see it set up so that there is no big roadblock as the 2.5'' axle turned out to be for most of the field. Herc hold is awesome, I will have to train for it this time around! A standard event like 2'' v-bar or euro pinch would be cool too. In any case, I will definitely be there, and will give my all on whatever you have John!! :rock :rock

Break out the 1" FBBC vbar and there can be no handsize complaints. Buy a ticket on the pain train. I pulled 375lbs on Climber's 1" vbar a few days before leaving on my big roadtrip. A year would probably be enough time for me to heal up and train for a 400+ pull on your bar John. I hit 387 two years ago after all.

I like the idea of 6" stuff. Anybody who's flexible enough to do 7" well can do 6" just fine.

Er, what? :erm

Break out the 1" FBBC vbar and there can be no handsize complaints. Buy a ticket on the pain train. I pulled 375lbs on Climber's 1" vbar a few days before leaving on my big roadtrip. A year would probably be enough time for me to heal up and train for a 400+ pull on your bar John. I hit 387 two years ago after all.

I am game for the 1" V Bar :rock:rock :rock

I like the idea of 6" stuff. Anybody who's flexible enough to do 7" well can do 6" just fine.

Er, what? :erm

Am I wrong? Flexibility wise was what I was saying. Maybe some are more comfortable with 7" then 6" but there can be no flexibility complaints with 6".

I am a VERY strong vote against 1" Vbar, I hate it so much I just sold mine. The pain doesn't bother me at all, it's the skin tearing which leaves me unable to train for a week after doing a session I object against.

Josh, unless we had handsize divisions, which I'm pretty sure most of the Grip world is sworn against, adjusting it for different handsizes wouldn't really be fair, small handed people would just have to cope like they do with other thick bar events. Other then that I'm fine with that.

Using that ball bearing handle of yours would be just plain nasty John :laugh

Edited by vikingsrule92

Am I wrong? Flexibility wise was what I was saying. Maybe some are more comfortable with 7" then 6" but there can be no flexibility complaints with 6".

If you're only talking flexibility, I guess you're right, but my ability drops off dramatically at 6" even compared to 6.5".

If you're only talking flexibility, I guess you're right, but my ability drops off dramatically at 6" even compared to 6.5".

I'm kind of in the same boat, but my strength drops off much more significantly from 6 to 5.5 then from 6.5 to 6. But IMHO I think if you're going to zero in on one length 6" is the best because it's pretty middle of the road.

I'd love to use the 1" Vbar and the Crusher handles. Perhaps a 2 handed deadlift for max weight with the crushers?

Matt, just bend more 6" and under stock. Your ability at 7" will suddenly drop off as you focus more on 6" and under. It's not like you can't bend something that short, your just no good at it because it's akward right? Get over it and TRAIN SHORTER!!!! I know you can do it ;)

I'm kind of in the same boat, but my strength drops off much more significantly from 6 to 5.5 then from 6.5 to 6. But IMHO I think if you're going to zero in on one length 6" is the best because it's pretty middle of the road.

This is why I kind of like John's method, it doesn't force a middle of the road and allows everyone to play to their strengths. At 7" I think I have a good shot at a shiny. At 6" I'm down to 1/4" square.

Matt, just bend more 6" and under stock. Your ability at 7" will suddenly drop off as you focus more on 6" and under. It's not like you can't bend something that short, your just no good at it because it's akward right? Get over it and TRAIN SHORTER!!!! I know you can do it

No, it's not the awkwardness, it's my inability to move it past 90 degrees to save my life. I was chasing the Huge for a long time, and I never got it even with the 430 bastards.

Edited by The Writer

This is why I kind of like John's method, it doesn't force a middle of the road and allows everyone to play to their strengths. At 7" I think I have a good shot at a shiny. At 6" I'm down to 1/4" square.

Matt, just bend more 6" and under stock. Your ability at 7" will suddenly drop off as you focus more on 6" and under. It's not like you can't bend something that short, your just no good at it because it's akward right? Get over it and TRAIN SHORTER!!!! I know you can do it

No, it's not the awkwardness, it's my inability to move it past 90 degrees to save my life. I was chasing the Huge for a long time, and I never got it even with the 430 bastards.

I know, but then we run into the problem of what beats what, whereas with one length it's a pretty clear distinction between one bar or the other, with unlimited distances you have either Gripbash, or biggest poundage. And one way or the other someone always ends up screwed by it.

I thought of something in the shower a bit ago, along the wrist roller line, what if I made some kind of bracket to attach to the front of a set of herc hold ramps & do a human winch.

I thought of something in the shower a bit ago, along the wrist roller line, what if I made some kind of bracket to attach to the front of a set of herc hold ramps & do a human winch.

Could you elaborate on the "human winch" idea? You mean pulling a sled up a ramp using a wrist roller?

If that's the case, then for the record, cool idea :cool

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Hmmm, that'd be interesting. Would anyone actually be able to do it with a car? That seems really damn heavy. Or what would it be with?

Edited by vikingsrule92

It would be with a car, maybe I could get a car dealership to bring something like a Cooper Mini, or something like that. Build a rack that would have the roller in line with the ramp angle & the competitors standing. Use cable instead of the usual cord to minimize stretching.

It would be with a car, maybe I could get a car dealership to bring something like a Cooper Mini, or something like that. Build a rack that would have the roller in line with the ramp angle & the competitors standing. Use cable instead of the usual cord to minimize stretching.

Now that sounds like fun!! Do it if you can! :rock

Whew, even pulling a car on a flat surface in that manner sounds near impossible. I wouldn't be against trying it at all though :)

Whew, even pulling a car on a flat surface in that manner sounds near impossible. I wouldn't be against trying it at all though :)

I'll probably try it on flat ground, if it's too easy, we'll use the ramps & see.