How Did You Guys Found Out About Grippers?

Gripmasters

I wonder how everyone discovered about the grippers like Captains of Crush.

For myself, this is my story:

arround 1999 I was checking the internet, try to find some information about strongman Manfred Hoeberl. I found some info on some website telling me that he is a captain of crush. I thought... huh... what does it mean...

So after some more searching I found the website of Ironmind..... and that is were it all started....

In 2006 I tried to find some info about the Captains of Crush grippers, and that is why I stranded on youtube....

During this time from 1999 to 2006 I never found any person, in my gym and arround who ever heard of the captains of crush... so I was all alone in the dark...

I am curious if there are members here got into grip only because of youtube.... Because this will mean the gripworld will only become bigger and bigger....

My wife got me a powerball for Christmas in 2006, I got addicted to using it and I would go on the internet to see other peoples scores. I was looking at the justmagnotherapy website to order a new powerball and I saw that he was selling something called "captains of crush gripper" I saw the bit that said only 5 men had ever closed a #4! I thought, well I've got to try these things....I ordered the #1 and I've been addicted to grippers ever since!

Started weightlifting a year ago, started watching strongman on tv ext. Searching strongman videos through youtube found the video clip of magnus closing the #4. Eventually researched it a bit more and found the ironmind site and bought some grippers. With a few google searching eventually found this site.

My wife got me a powerball for Christmas in 2006, I got addicted to using it and I would go on the internet to see other peoples scores. I was looking at the justmagnotherapy website to order a new powerball and I saw that he was selling something called "captains of crush gripper" I saw the bit that said only 5 men had ever closed a #4! I thought, well I've got to try these things....I ordered the #1 and I've been addicted to grippers ever since!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i am member of the oldest weightlifting club in the world (kölner athleten club 1882). some of our strong guys, 100 years ago, where worlrecordholders and very popular. so i tried to research this history. during this i found articles about the great old strongmen like arthur saxon, louis uni and thomas inch and more. i red the story about the inch-dumbbell ...

... so i am here :)

Great to hear these stories! looking forward to read the other members discovery experiences... I think because there isn't any promotion yet loads of people right now! at this moment!, are just lifting weights or doing something else unaware that in the future they will be part of the gripworld...

That's a funny thought...

Bought my first gripper around 1994 it was a #2 126# calibration but didn't really become a student of the game until 2003.

i loved my plastic grippers when i was younger. had them in like 5th grade or something. but they where insanely easy. and for about 3-4 years ago a friend of mine showed me his grippers. he had 1-4 and a Brookfield book. borrowed one and ordered some for myself.

btw, love the Carmageddon avatar gripmasters :p

Edited by Yersinia

I actually have a vague memory of reading about the CoC in (of all things) a bodybuilding magazine about 10yrs ago. A while later I asked my mum for some grippers for xmas. Of course, I ended up with the plastic handled variety, which I quickly bored of and didn't think much more of it until a few years ago I tried a high ropes course and struggled to hold on because of a weak grip. Did a bit of searching on the internet, then asked my wife (because I was a grown-up by this point :D ) for some proper grippers for xmas, and ended up with a T and #1. Did some more internet searching and inevitably ended up at the gripboard.

I thik I've posted it before, but I have always been interested in weightlifting and in particular WSM. Last summer I was reading the Wiki article about Magnus Samuelsson and it said he was one of only five men to close the CoC #4. I had no idea what that was, but there was a link to IM's site, and that was the first I ever heard about grippers harder than my Wal-Mart pieces of junk. After that I looked on ebay and bought some HG's. Somewhere along the line I found a link to the gripboard and haven't been the same (or do I mean 'sane?' Ha!)

Edited by The Writer

i loved my plastic grippers when i was younger. had them in like 5th grade or something. but they where insanely easy. and for about 3-4 years ago a friend of mine showed me his grippers. he had 1-4 and a Brookfield book. borrowed one and ordered some for myself.

btw, love the Carmageddon avatar gripmasters :p

Thanks.. I was crazy about carmageddon when this game was new at the time.. It looks like he is bending a bar.... :)

I forgot to mention.... I had plastic grippers also when I was young....

Edited by Gripmasters

I have an Ironman of 1991-1992 or so that has an article about Grip and Captain of Crush Grippers in there, mentions Sorin.

When I first found the Gripboard it was many different iterations and skins ago - would be interested if Bill decided to write something about the early early days.

I found out about heavy duty grippers when I got into kettlebell training. I first read an article about kettlebell training in a magazine and was convinced that I want to try it. So I searhed the web for a company that sells kettlebells in Finland. While I was browsing the web site that sold kbells, I noticed an ad about CoC-grippers as well. I had been training with lght grippers when I was younger and had been interested in grip training for many years, so when I read the ad about these tough grippers that only strong men can close, I ordered CoC #2 along with my first kettlebell. Now, there's no turning back and escaping the obsession. :D

I got a pair of plastic grippers as a teen. Later when I started weight training and read stuff on cyberpump, I saw somebody mentionin Ivanko Supergripper. Got one of those. But it wasn't until -06 that I found gripboard and got serious about grip training.

I blame Brendan for my gripper/bending addiction. Before I met him I was a fat, lazy slob. Now I'm bending bars and squeezing grippers like there's no tomorrow. He introduced me to the grip world about a year and a half ago.

i started thinking about competing at the sport of armwrestling then i saw "heavygrips" , i tried to order then but the shipping+taxes were very expensive(from the Usa). Because i live in Europe i pick one company and ordered the coc's(i believe they are the best).

I ordered CoC #2 along with my first kettlebell. Now, there's no turning back and escaping the obsession.

i think u closed it your first try (using one wide set) ...

Edited by ewokhugo

A fellow in my office has very powerful hands. I got tired of feeling like a little kid every time I shook his hand, so I started searching for ways to improve my weak grip. Someone on an Alabama fans football board I read recommended the COC and the rest is (brief) history.

I was still in highschool, and a freind of mine named Paul Knight told me about a gripper I couldnt close. I told him that there wasnt a gripper on earth I couldnt close, boy was I wrong, HAHA. I dont remember if I closed the #1 even. I bought my first set of COC's december of 2007 and Ive been spending all my time and money since. :laugh

Prolly round late 2005 I was messing around on the net. Around that time I finally looked in the mirror and saw that I was a chubby-thin 165 and wanted to change. I went looking for BW exercises since I didn't have access to a gym at the time and I quickly found out about gymnastic exercises and my goal immediately became a Planche. Well, I'm not exactly sure what happened now but I ended up looking at Clay Edgin's article on grippers on the Heavy grips site. He mentioned "Gripboard" and it didn't even occur to me it was a website at the time. I then figured Bodybuilding.com might have some stuff on grippers, well they did :laugh I kept seeing people in the Mash Monster section talk about "Gripboard" and finally I saw the word "Gripboard" but it doubled as a link. I didn't want to join a website I had to register to view for whatever reason so I left it. After that I went looking around and finally someone from Marunde-Muscle pointed me here yet again. That was early '07 I believe and here I am now :)

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I started to research them after I watched

and
. I had no clue that type of grippers even existed up until that point. I got my first set of grippers a few weeks later.

I wonder how everyone discovered about the grippers like Captains of Crush.

For myself, this is my story:

arround 1999 I was checking the internet, try to find some information about strongman Manfred Hoeberl. I found some info on some website telling me that he is a captain of crush. I thought... huh... what does it mean...

So after some more searching I found the website of Ironmind..... and that is were it all started....

In 2006 I tried to find some info about the Captains of Crush grippers, and that is why I stranded on youtube....

During this time from 1999 to 2006 I never found any person, in my gym and arround who ever heard of the captains of crush... so I was all alone in the dark...

I am curious if there are members here got into grip only because of youtube.... Because this will mean the gripworld will only become bigger and bigger....

Thats exactly the way I came to grippers.

I just wanted to figure out how he recovered from his bad car accident.

got into weight lifting first, for some reason I always thought that I need to have a good grip when it comes to lifting weights , had problems with my wrists from many bad falls (skating at the time), wanted to strengthen my hands & wrists ...so I just looked around all over the internet and finally came across a set of HG grippers on Ebay, waited patiently for about two or three weeks before I could order them at this point I would just rep out this black plastic gripper I had, probably a bit easier than a trainer rating, then I got the set and started gripping as much as I could, got into Block weights later just loved the feel of lifting a block that seemed so tough at first

honestly grip is a fairly cheap hobby with great rewards, grip will carry over into all aspects of Sports and Iron game

here is a quote by Arthur Jones about grip I really like

"If all of the muscles of the hands, fingers and forearms were developed to their maximum potential, the strength

of the hands and fingers would literally defy belief."

I was on an armwrestling website probably about a year and a half ago. They were selling hand grippers and there was an ad. It said something like "Think you're strong? Try closing this hand gripper!" Anyways, I thought "cool" and didn't buy any. Then, about 9 or 10 months ago or so, I was on the bus going home from school, and my friend had a hand gripper, just one of the cheap plastic ones (but it is strong for a cheap hand gripper!) and he was like "Josh, can you close this?" and I tried and I closed it, and I told him it was pretty hard and asked him where he got it. He wouldn't tell me.

Anyways, I wanted to get one. A few weeks later I went to the local sports authority and bought a cheap hand gripper. I had looked on the net and had seen the Captains of Crush and and few other hand grippers, but they said most people couldn't close the #1, so I thought I should get a cheap hand gripper first just to get started! It was a good idea - a month of working out with that about twice a week and I bought the #1 and closed it on my second try. That's why I don't see the point of getting anything below a #1 to start out, store-bought hand grippers will get you to a #1 level and are much cheaper.

Edited by Josh H